SASS Wire Forum

To maim or not to maim?

My wife watches Lifetime Movies while ironing. 

I'm not sure if this merely applies to just females, but a majority of these shows involve a nanny gone bad, a babysitter lusting after the husband, or the woman who wants another woman's baby. :huh:

Invaritably at some point a conflict ensures either with the woman directly involved, or friends of hers.

Conflict as in they will be killed! :o

Here is my dilemma....they all appear to have the opportunity to defend themselves against the killer, either with a knife, tire iron, chair, etc., and initially fend off the person, only to stand there like a deer in the headlights thinking to themselves, "gosh, did I hurt you badly?". :blink:

Lo and behold, the killer gets up and either finishes the job or at least wounds them to where they are fully incapacitated.

I know it's Hollywood, or a similar ilk :angry:, but if I were defending myself against a person that has already attempted to kill me, I would not use the knife, tire iron or chair sparingly.

Would you?

If someone attempted to kill me, any and all force used to stop it would be reasonable.

And if I put them down, they would not get back up by themselves.

In the UK you are only allowed to apply force equal to what the aggressor is doing to you. If he's merely beating the crap out of you with his bare hands you cannot employ a weapon. If he has a weapon then you cannot use anything considered more deadly than his or injure him beyond what he is trying to do to you. So blasting home intruders with the shotgun hanging over the mantelpiece is out, although you can club him with it if he has a knife or crowbar. Thankfully the antis haven't yet tried to pass laws like this here in the USA, or else we may end up with laws saying that shooting someone with a .22LR pistol is considered reasonable force but shooting them with a 5.56 AR is not.

Maybe I need to clarify my inquiry a bit. 

I realize it's only a movie; however, I find it frustrating that someone whose intent IS TO KILL YOU, that once you have temporarily gained control of the situation, such as wacking them in the head with a tire iron and they go down, that you walk over to them to see if they are dead or merely hurt, and they attack you again. You already know they will KILL you if you let them.

One film had a mother who was chained up in the basement with her mouth gagged by a woman who stole her baby as if it was hers, all the while living in the chained up womens house. Husband? The woman who stole the baby had already killed him and put him in a chest freezer in the basement and locked it up.

When the mother was able to get free from the chains using a screwdriver, when the woman approached her later, the mother used the screwdriver to stab the woman, but failed miserably by merely stabbing her in the arm. The woman then slugged the mother and knocked her out.

Why in the world would she, having only stabbed her in the arm, not pull the dang screwdriver out and try to stab the woman where it counts.

Same with her neighbor who came into the house, confronted the woman and was able to hit her in the head with a fireplace poker. The woman jerked back from the blow (which apparently wasn't hard enough), turned around and went for the neighbor, ultimately grabbing the poker from her and shoving her to the floor where she proceeded to sit on her and put both hands around her neck and start choking her!

And then just like everyone else in the movies who is getting choked, they grab the other person by their hands and try to pull them away from their throat.

My heavens, STOP IT!

Take your hands place them on the persons face and shove your thumbs into their eye sockets until you reach the nasal canal!

OK, I'm through venting on this issue.

I'm going to apply force until they're definitely no longer a threat.  That may entail killing or maiming them.  I won't be trying to ascertain whether they have been killed or maimed I'll be trying to make sure they're no longer a threat, no how no way.  Given my primary means of self defense involves 230 grain Hydra Shok Federals there's a probability that they will be very seriously injured and that I won't really care.

I'd stop watching Lifetime movies.

:)

7 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

I'd stop watching Lifetime movies.

:)

Dantankerous,

Don't get me started on my favorite genre, the underdog movies....Diehard - Predator - 300 - Olympus has Fallen - Independence Day (OK a lot of underdogs there) :blush:

Fight scenes where the bad guys couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with an uzi, yet the good guys shoot once and take them out with a head shot.

Or fisticuffs where neither party goes down after a dozen blows that even Ali or Frazier couldn't take.

29 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Fight scenes where the bad guys couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with an uzi, yet the good guys shoot once and take them out with a head shot.

Or fisticuffs where neither party goes down after a dozen blows that even Ali or Frazier couldn't take.

Now you're talking about an entirely different subject. My peeve is how people can fall from unbelievable heights or crash their car at 80mph and just dust themselves off, yet a .357 magnum revolver will send them flying over the counter.

1 hour ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Dantankerous,

Don't get me started on my favorite genre, the underdog movies....Diehard - Predator - 300 - Olympus has Fallen - Independence Day (OK a lot of underdogs there) :blush:

The absolute worst shooting (besides Storm troopers) was also done by movie good guys. Reference the A-Team from the '80s.

:D

4 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

My wife watches Lifetime Movies while ironing. 

I'm not sure if this merely applies to just females, but a majority of these shows involve a nanny gone bad, a babysitter lusting after the husband, or the woman who wants another woman's baby. :huh:

Invaritably at some point a conflict ensures either with the woman directly involved, or friends of hers.

Conflict as in they will be killed! :o

Here is my dilemma....they all appear to have the opportunity to defend themselves against the killer, either with a knife, tire iron, chair, etc., and initially fend off the person, only to stand there like a deer in the headlights thinking to themselves, "gosh, did I hurt you badly?". :blink:

Lo and behold, the killer gets up and either finishes the job or at least wounds them to where they are fully incapacitated.

I know it's Hollywood, or a similar ilk :angry:, but if I were defending myself against a person that has already attempted to kill me, I would not use the knife, tire iron or chair sparingly.

Would you?

FKCGG:  from your good description of these shows, it appears that you are also watching these movies

while your wife is ironing.

:lol:

..........Widder

At least Lifetime beats the Hallmark Channel. Lots of blissfully smiling happy faces and absolutely no guns or violence that I could see. No wonder my ex could never get me to sit down and watch anything with her. I swear if I ever found myself sucked into the Hallmark Channel universe the first thing I'd do is find a way to hang myself. Of course, it being the HC universe I probably couldn't die anyway. It would be worse than Hell. :wacko:

52 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

At least Lifetime beats the Hallmark Channel. Lots of blissfully smiling happy faces and absolutely no guns or violence that I could see. No wonder my ex could never get me to sit down and watch anything with her. I swear if I ever found myself sucked into the Hallmark Channel universe the first thing I'd do is find a way to hang myself. Of course, it being the HC universe I probably couldn't die anyway. It would be worse than Hell. :wacko:

@Sixgun Sheridan

You would have to transport to the Lifetime channel and not defend yourself against an angry women and get yourself killed. :o

3 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

FKCGG:  from your good description of these shows, it appears that you are also watching these movies

while your wife is ironing.

:lol:

..........Widder

What is ironing:huh:

In Hollywood, the good guy/gal always leaves the bad guy/gal around to threaten them again. That way, when the good guy/gal shoots/blows up/incinerates/make them fall from a fatal height, the audience is assured the execution is justified and therefore a feel good experience. 

Followed by the heroic actor/actress’ expression to the media of their revulsion to violence. 

A wise man once said, "If somebody ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."

I also find it amazing when a Good Guy takes out the first Bad Guy, but then stands there to let the second get them.

Or during a bank robbery, the "old guy" security doesn't immediately draw his gun when the Bad Guys come in, but waits until one of them points a gun a HIM before drawing. 

3 hours ago, Arizona Gunfighter said:

Ask the Thread originator.   He said it is something his Wife was doing.

I don't answer wrinkling questions..... ;)

..........Widder

13 hours ago, Arizona Gunfighter said:

11 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Ask the Thread originator.   He said it is something his Wife was doing.

I don't answer wrinkling questions..... ;)

..........Widder

Ironing is a verb for pumping iron.;)

image.png.faa96833e5e2f62599536cdd88ba71aa.png

Archived