SASS Wire Forum

Tinted Windshields?

I have to admit that while driving into work this morning and having to pull the shade down to block the morning sun blasting through the front windshield, I thought it would be cool, if like transition eye wear, they could make your windshield do the same thing.

Someone should patent this, so I looked online and guess what? It's already been done.

Howdy,

Some car makers have areas of tint different from others.

Honda crv has different types of tint on the windshield.

Look over the sun visor extensions on the market.

Bed Bath beyond has at least one that I tried but took back

it was too clumsy for me. Others might well find it useful.

And pulling down a ball cap works sometimes too.

Years back I bought a roll of plastic tint and cut it to fit my MG.

Different problems different solutions.

And look around the web for ideas of course.

Keep us posted if you find something real good.

Best

CR

54 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

According to AAA tinting is only allowed along the top five inches of the windshield, or light transmittance can't be less than 65%.

Tex:

Thanks.

I believe they incorporated that allowance on the front windshield as seen in the video.

image.png.4b64dc0bad93df81d57ee454cc21f759.png

What I really like is when you close and lock the vehicle, ALL the windows become shaded to keep it cooler and make it more difficult to see in by thieves. Vice versa, as you approach the vehicle they all un-tint. :wub:

2 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

According to AAA tinting is only allowed along the top five inches of the windshield, or light transmittance can't be less than 65%.

Depends on the state and how vigorously they enforce their own laws.

hey OLG, being an engineering type guy, I had a similar thought... What is the natural state of the window?  Is it normally clear and by applying power it becomes tinted, or is it tinted and applying power causes it to clear?  I would hate to think that losing electrical would cause the windows to go dark...could be a little inconvenient if still moving when the electrical system tanks.

20 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

hey OLG, being an engineering type guy, I had a similar thought... What is the natural state of the window?  Is it normally clear and by applying power it becomes tinted, or is it tinted and applying power causes it to clear?  I would hate to think that losing electrical would cause the windows to go dark...could be a little inconvenient if still moving when the electrical system tanks.

KISS and safety sez to have clear glass when power is off.

OLG 

11 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

KISS and safety sez to have clear glass when power is off.

OLG 

Of course, but since when can we depend on any company to do what makes sense and what is the most safe???  If normally dark is cheaper and they did the "Pinto math", they may decide to go that way.

Sporty's Pilot Shop sells these "Slap On Sun Visors" that oughtta work just as well in a pickup truck as a plane.  :)

Slap On Sun Visor (Extra Large)

Mid 70s Ford advertised their high end cars with gold windshields: the ad said they had a one molecule thick layer with the plastic middle layer.

Ford claimed it was quite popular in the American Southwest, where the sun is so fierce, and the gold turned the sunlight nicely ... plus a current passed through this layer heated the windshield, supposedly cleared frost very nicely.

The poster also claimed this was common on jet liners.

I have no idea how true any of this is, or how effective it might be.

Had the door windows tinted on my wife's car.  Talked to the installer while he was doing it. He initially asked how dark I wanted the tint.  Huh?  Never thought about it.  He said do I want to stay legal or go dark.  I told him stay legal. He smiled and said another guy had the windows go dark and came back a week later asking to have the tint taken off.  Seems the police in Wisconsin don't like to walk up on a car with blacked out windows. My truck is darker than what I think may be legal but it came out of TN.  I never understood how some of the folks in FL to AZ can drive around in the dark.  I know it is for sun protection but get real.

So I had the idea of electrically tinted windshields in 1985 and researched and found that it was well within the technological capability of the time.  I had a pretty good idea of what materials to use and how to do it when I started searching patents. . . here were many doing it in many different manners and some were nearly a 100 years old at the time.

This is my idea fleshed out

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5042923

Now I am sure the people that prepared this had no knowledge of my prior investigation and I got no where near as far as they appeared to go, but I had no funding and was still in school.

Early ideas actually included injecting tinted fluid between  panes of glass.

Hey I got an idea!! How about some old fashioned sunglasses and your sun visor? I know that sounds crazy but................

49 minutes ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Early ideas actually included injecting tinted fluid between  panes of glass.

I recall having read an article decades ago that described a pilot helmet that would inject powdered graphite (suspended in a liquid?) into the hollow visor upon detecting the flash of a nuclear explosion.  The idea was that it would temporarily block all light to save the pilot's eyesight.  Dunno if that ever came to being or not, but hey - lots of us have welding masks with electronically darkening lenses.  They work quite well!  

1 hour ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

Had the door windows tinted on my wife's car.  Talked to the installer while he was doing it. He initially asked how dark I wanted the tint.  Huh?  Never thought about it.  He said do I want to stay legal or go dark.  I told him stay legal. He smiled and said another guy had the windows go dark and came back a week later asking to have the tint taken off.  Seems the police in Wisconsin don't like to walk up on a car with blacked out windows. My truck is darker than what I think may be legal but it came out of TN.  I never understood how some of the folks in FL to AZ can drive around in the dark.  I know it is for sun protection but get real.

The cops, especially the State Troopers, enforce the tint law with vigor in Florida. It just gives them another reason to stop someone. I know that the window tinting tech has come a long way but all of after market tinting I've seen has become blurry after only a few years of baking in the Florida sun, heat and humidity. I personally don't like my windows dark. I've got nothing to hide and I like being able to see out of all of my windows at night. Like Rye stated....sunglasses and sun visor, that's all I need plus I don't like being pulled over for BS. 

2 hours ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

I purchased my last car used and it had overly dark tinted windows.  The previous owner was a county sheriff!!!  I hated them and was thinking of having them removed when I got rid of the car instead.  The rear windows were especially blurry and really distorted especially at night.  I couldn't tell how far away I was from objects while in reverse, nor could I easily identify objects approaching me from behind.  Rather scary. 

Archived