SASS Wire Forum

Scale of Australian Fires

To give us a better idea of how big these horrendous fires are, an overlay on a map of the US.....

https://abcnews.go.com/International/us-map-examine-scale-massive-australia-wildfires/story?id=68102703&cid=clicksource_4380645_null_hero_related

Unreal.

LL

2 hours ago, Charlie Plasters, SASS#60943 said:

Just read that about 200 people have been arrested for arson in deliberately setting fires there.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Sounds like they need to be burned at the stake.

I would be careful about some of those numbers as it may include stupid people who broke Fire Ban rules, like throwing cigarettes out of windows (stupid and unforgivable but not arson).

https://www.newsweek.com/australia-wildfires-arson-new-south-wales-police-1480733

Police in Australia have arrested and charged two dozen people they say deliberately lit blazes during the wildfire season that has so far killed at least 18 people, destroyed thousands of homes and ravaged over 10 million acres of land.

New South Wales police said that since the beginning of November, 24 people have been charged over allegedly deliberately lighting fires as officers continue to investigate the role that arson has played in the devastation. Starting a wildfire can result in a jail sentence of up to 21 years.

"Investigations into the cause, origin and overall impact of fires are continuing and since the latest State of Emergency was declared...Strike Force Tronto has provided expertise to six police area commands and eight police districts," NSW police said in a statement.

"As inquiries continue, police are appealing to the community to provide footage and/or images from phones, dashcam, or other devices, that show any of the fires in their infancy, even if only from a distance."

Police in the state have also taken legal action against a further 159 people. Among them are 53 people who allegedly failed to comply with a total fire ban and 47 people who allegedly discarded a lit cigarette or match on land.

18 hours ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

What are they going to do without PG&E to blame?

Seamus

Please ignor my ignorance ........ PG&E ???

Thank you for the extra Firefighters who arrived just the other day :wub::FlagAm:

45 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

Please ignor my ignorance ........ PG&E ???

Thank you for the extra Firefighters who arrived just the other day :wub::FlagAm:

Pacific Gas and Electric, the same folks whose equipment and lack of maintaining their equipment have caused most of the California fires. Now, because of their lack of due care/because they don't care and because they are getting the pants sued off of them, they shut down the entire power grid every time some kid lights a fart.

I sure do wish you all the best of luck in the fight against these horrible fires.

The Democrats in Congress are already blaming Trump for the Australian fires. Pelosi, Schiff, Nadler and Maxine Waters want to write up more Articles of Impeachment to hang on Trump. <_<

1 hour ago, Arizona Gunfighter said:

The Democrats in Congress are already blaming Trump for the Australian fires. Pelosi, Schiff, Nadler and Maxine Waters want to write up more Articles of Impeachment to hang on Trump. <_<

Build a bonfire, build a bonfire put Pelosi on the top, put the Democrats in the middle & burn the ******* lot !!!  ..[sing the words ]

And then add the Greens & other useless Aussie politicians...of course said in jest but definitely the way a lot feel !!!!!!!!!!1

10 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Build a bonfire, build a bonfire put Pelosi on the top, put the Democrats in the middle & burn the ******* lot !!!  ..[sing the words ]

And then add the Greens & other useless Aussie politicians...of course said in jest but definitely the way a lot feel !!!!!!!!!!1

Sung to the melody of "My Darlin' Clementine",,,,,

LL

As I understand it, the land mass is somewhere around 1.6 Billion acres and the fires are around 15 million acres. But yet the entire continent is on fire as reported by the news media. Accurate reporting as usual. And yes it is bad.

8 hours ago, Smoken D said:

As I understand it, the land mass is somewhere around 1.6 Billion acres and the fires are around 15 million acres. But yet the entire continent is on fire as reported by the news media. Accurate reporting as usual. And yes it is bad.

SD that is a good point, but these fires are very much concentrated in the inhabited areas of Australia and so while the area as a whole is small the area of highest population is quite high.

The vast majority of the countries population is on the East Coast of the country and as you can see from the map above that is where most of the fires are.

Burned area Over 10,700,000 hectares (26,000,000 acres)
Cause
Buildings destroyed 5,900+
Fatalities 28 total
  • 25 civilians
  • 3 volunteer firefighters
(as of 8 January 2020)

Archived