SASS Wire Forum

Knives

Highwall

I am kind of an unauthorized expert on knives. My dad gifted me 2 or 3 knives every year for Christmas for 50 plus years.  After decades of receiving them I think I can say what's best for every day carry. 

For many years I carried the Buck 307 big 4 3/4 inch Wrangler Stock-man with a custom made sheath.  After that I went to single blade knives carrying a Benchmade  Snody and a Grohman. I finally settled on a Marttiini  due to the light weight and factory sharpness. 

Marttinni.jpg

I think I can say what's best for every day carry. 

And my EDC needs and wants being different from yours, I can state the important feature for me is the ability of the blade to hold sharpness, and a useful shape.   I could care less whether the factory knows how to sharpen the blade, as long as I can.  Even if it is difficult to sharpen it, if sharpness remains, then value remains.

So, I carry knives with the highest quality steel blades I can get.  I've been given Buck and Case knives, even bought a couple when I was young.   Can't seem to find them in my gear anymore.  <_<

Good luck, GJ

EDC in a knife (for me) means a folder that is sharp and strong - large enough for defense and small enough to be reasonably concealable in Nevada summer weight clothing or dress wear.

I personally carry a Bench Made assisted open.

But, regardless of the number of gifts someone may have received over a lifetime; (I have never seen any correlation between the quantity of an item owned and any expertise in that same product),

the only correct response to,

"What's best for everyday carry"

is the exactly the same as asking,

"What should I wear if I regularly pee myself?"

The answer to both is, "Depends"

I'm more in GJ's corner however I'm really careless and leave them all over.  Therefore, the best knife for me is something I can lose without breaking the budget.  I don't mind hitting them with a stone ever now and then to keep them sharp then again I don't need to shave with one.   I like a folder and a little on the small side I don't need it for defense or chopping wood.  I have on occasion used mine in a restaurant that had poor cutlery but mostly they see paper, cardboard and tape.  If you want a good story and see me at a match somewhere ask me about the offensive capability of my K-Bar.    

I use a Leatherman Wave because more times than not, I need a pliers, screwdriver and a knife.  It has a little saw blade that comes in handy when in the orchard.  I am not impressed with the stainless steel blade.  It is tough to sharpen and doesn't hold an edge real well.  I've been tempted to take it apart and make a tool steel blade for it.  Problem is they have a custom screw head to prevent such operations.  I'll figure it out eventually.  I carry it in a homemade pancake sheath/holster.  I got really tired of knives flopping around on my hip or sliding to and fro on my belt.  This arrangement keeps it secure.  I showed the sheath and knife to the factory guys a couple years ago at the SHOT show.  They liked the sheath (instead of the cheap one they send with the tool) but they were amazed at how loose the pliers had become.  Well, it gets used a lot.  Apparently mine is of an early generation and they said they would tune it up for free if I sent it in.  How can I send it in when I need it?  I have other Leatherman tools but this is my special one.  I guess I could buy a backup.

Swiss Army Grand Champion for every day, skinning, gutting, fileting for other pursuits.  :D

2 hours ago, twelve mile REB said:

I'm more in GJ's corner however I'm really careless and leave them all over.  Therefore, the best knife for me is something I can lose without breaking the budget.  I don't mind hitting them with a stone ever now and then to keep them sharp then again I don't need to shave with one.   I like a folder and a little on the small side I don't need it for defense or chopping wood.  I have on occasion used mine in a restaurant that had poor cutlery but mostly they see paper, cardboard and tape.  If you want a good story and see me at a match somewhere ask me about the offensive capability of my K-Bar.    

Sounds like my little Kershaw Silver Spur II.  I got it in 1990 or '91 and the aluminum scales are showing some wear, but the blade is still almost like the day I bought it.  Just a light touch-up every three or four months.

Knives are like guns, trucks, fishing poles, boats, tool brands, etc....Everyone has a favorite and they have their reasons for it.

Like with guns I have no "favorite". All the ones that I own are favorites for one reason or another.

Daily, I carry (and have them on me now)

a Benchmade Mini Griptilian

a Benchmade Griptilain

a Victorinox Swiss Army Explorer

a Victorinox Swiss Army Mini

In my backpack that's literally 6' away

a Victorinox Spirit XC multitool

In my motorcycle jackets:

a CRKT M21-14G with Veff serrations

In my saddle bags:

a Gerber multittool

a Buck 110 Hunter

a fixed blade Norwegian knife I can never remember the name of.

I like to have a selection of blades to choose from at any given time.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Knives are like guns, trucks, fishing poles, boats, tool brands, etc....Everyone has a favorite and they have their reasons for it.

Like with guns I have no "favorite". All the ones that I own are favorites for one reason or another.

Daily, I carry (and have them on me now)

a Benchmade Mini Griptilian

a Benchmade Griptilain

a Victorinox Swiss Army Explorer

a Victorinox Swiss Army Mini

In my backpack that's literally 6' away

a Victorinox Spirit XC multitool

In my motorcycle jackets:

a CRKT M21-14G with Veff serrations

In my saddle bags:

a Gerber multittool

a Buck 110 Hunter

a fixed blade Norwegian knife I can never remember the name of.

I like to have a selection of blades to choose from at any given time.

I'll assume you use both a belt and suspenders for you pants. :P

5 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Been carrying a Chris Reeve, Sebeza for the last 20yrs.

See no reason to change....

OLG 

I'm with Gritz, except my Sebenza is only 18 years old. Usually sharpen it once or twice a year.

Daily - I carry a CRKT Drifter, with no serrations.  Good steel, good shape.   Although a CRKT M21 is my camping knife - due to a really stout blade.

GJ

15 minutes ago, Church Key, SASS # 33713 said:

I'm with Gritz, except my Sebenza is only 18 years old. Usually sharpen it once or twice a year.

Mine is a Regular Sebenza with BG-42 blade steel.

I have used it for scraping head gaskets to dressing out game.

It's  my favorite steak-knife. :lol:

OLG 

For everyday knives I have no brand loyalty at all because for me it works better to have a favorite gal instead of a favorite knife......

..... therefore each morning I'll grab one of these without putting much thought into it. Some are decent others are junk but they're all sharp as hell and that's what matters to me.

20200107_175109.thumb.jpg.8b813da207187003336b6c982c5087d7.jpg

Need some advice from the experts. I got this knife for Christmas and I'd like to turn it into an EDC knife. It comes from KHHI. They sent instructions for care that said they recommended keeping a coat of motor oil on it until I use it, then wipe it off to use it and reapply the oil when done. 

So the question is, how would that work,  should I just carry it with a coat of oil?  Is that what gurka warriors do? I'm assuming the reason for this is that it's a high carbon blade and not stainless steel. Seems like it would be messy. Would the leather sheath eventually absorb enough to keep it protected?  I'll tell ya if I do carry it with a coat of motor oil I'm going to start carrying a lighter too. That way if I need it for self defense I have the option to light it on fire first. 

7d7f72f6ea1682f74ade2d867395e9ab.jpg

I find the replies interesting. We all prefer EDC's for same and different reasons,  brands and designs. 

I reckon what's important is we keep em sharp!:D

When I go to town (16 plus miles either north or SE), I carry a Benchmade auto 5000. I carried it in Kosovo and in Afghanistan. When I'm out on my land, I have a NRA Buck folder that is about the same size as a 110, only it has an orange plastic handle with finger grooves. This one in in a nylon belt pouch. I also have a Swiss Army knife in my back pocket.

Archived