SASS Wire Forum

Misplaced pistol

Yup.

Came home from work, took off the Hi Power that I used as a carry gun that day and went to bed.  When I got up, I remembered taking the gun off but couldn't remember where I put it. 

A couple weeks later, I picked up a baseball cap on the top of the entertainment center and there was the Hi Power in it's holster.

1 hour ago, Equanimous Phil said:

Thankfully, you're not a surgeon :D

Scalpels are supplied by the hospital so at least they don't cost you any money and you can get it back when you perform the surgery to remove the forgotten scalpel. :rolleyes: I also think that they count the number of surgical instruments before opening the patient up and count them again before closing to make sure that they didn't forget anything but this may not be the case every time obviously.

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Scalpels are supplied by the hospital so at least they don't cost you any money and you can get it back when you perform the surgery to remove the forgotten scalpel. :rolleyes: I also think that they count the number of surgical instruments before opening the patient up and count them again before closing to make sure that they didn't forget anything but this may not be the case every time obviously.

When we were kids, my sister had an appendicitis attack and had her appendics (sp) removed. A week later she came down with a bad infection--- the x-ray showed a pair of forceps with a gauze pad attached left in her abdomen.

I had a Cap & Ball pistol that I picked up cheap that I wanted to shoot one day at the range, I looked all around for it and It wasn't with the other guns. I remembered bringing it home and cleaning the shipping oil off it then my wife asked me to do something for her. I forgot about the pistol until I got to the range and it wasn't there. I looked around at home and couldn't find it. One day I was up in the attic and moved a box to get to something and there was the pistol. It seems my wife decided to store stuff there and grabbed the box the pistol was in. When I asked her about it she claimed to know nothing about it.

4 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

When we were kids, my sister had an appendicitis attack and had her appendics (sp) removed. A week later she came down with a bad infection--- the x-ray showed a pair of forceps with a gauze pad attached left in her abdomen.

I've lost a lot of tools to the road after inadvertently leaving them under the hood of my vehicle. I would guess "organic mechanics" are prone to the same sort of boo-boos from time to time.

10 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I've lost a lot of tools to the road after inadvertently leaving them under the hood of my vehicle. I would guess "organic mechanics" are prone to the same sort of boo-boos from time to time.

My late Pa many years back was driving back from a local bit of duck hunting. While out on the highway at about 50 mph, he had to put the brakes on at some point. Whereupon his nice Beretta over-and-under slid down the windshield, across the hood, and onto the highway surface.....from its resting place on the roof of the car.

I had a stainless Colt 1911 enhanced government model hidden on a closet shelf In my reloading/leather making shop.  One November evening, years ago, my wife went into the shop while I sat and watched TV in the downstairs family room.  I heard a scream followed by cussing that normally didn't come out of her mouth.  My 1911 had been sitting on top of some gift bags on that closet shelf.  She pulled the bags out and bonked herself on the head with my pistol.

Needless to say I'm still in the dog house for that one and the Colt no longer resides on that shelf.

Found a Jennings J22 under the dash of a Subaru Brat I acquired back around '88. I loaned a Charter Arms Undercover .38 to a cousin, and never got it back. He's sure he gave it back, but neither of us have it. I expect he left it under the seat/in the glovebox/under the dash of a vehicle he sold. I've got a neighbor who found an Iver Johnson Safety Hammer .38 S&W in the wall of a house he was demolishing back in the 80's. It's in relic condition, loose as a goose, -0- finish, and missing the grips and all the springs. They're not rotted/rusted away, they were intentionally removed, as there is no trace of any of them in the gun. Weird. 

18 hours ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

I had a stainless Colt 1911 enhanced government model hidden on a closet shelf In my reloading/leather making shop.  One November evening, years ago, my wife went into the shop while I sat and watched TV in the downstairs family room.  I heard a scream followed by cussing that normally didn't come out of her mouth.  My 1911 had been sitting on top of some gift bags on that closet shelf.  She pulled the bags out and bonked herself on the head with my pistol.

Needless to say I'm still in the dog house for that one and the Colt no longer resides on that shelf.

At least it had a firing pin drop safety. -_-   Of course had that have happened to my ex-wife the first thing I'd have done is look the gun over real good to be sure it didn't get scratched up or nuthin'..... <_<

I'm ashamed to admit, I also checked to see if there was any damage to the pistol.  Luckily, her head, and the padded carpet held dampen the impact.  She had a good bump and still brings up the incident years later. 

I carried my SP101 ruger to the shop for a cleaning and a week or so later couldn't find it. I looked through the house, shop, safe, and everywhere 5x over.  Finally, I convinced myself that I'd laid it on the truck bumper to close the shop door, forgot it, and just drove off.  I looked on the sides of the road for a black pistol rug for miles and finally turned it in to the Sheriffs office as lost or stolen.   A week later, I was rummaging for some socks and there it was.   Thoroughly perplexed I told my wife how I thought I'd covered every inch of the house.  She smirked and declared' Oh, I knew there was one in there but you have so many didn't think it important!"   A relieved but embarrassed me showed up at the Sheriffs next day to call off the NICS report which they kindly did.  I'm sure they thought boy there's a senile ole fart that needs to be watched!:D

2 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

...I'm sure they thought boy there's a senile ole fart that needs to be watched!  :D

Nowadays I'd be worried that they might decide to come take 'em away.  nail-biting.gif

On 1/9/2020 at 4:32 PM, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

I'm ashamed to admit, I also checked to see if there was any damage to the pistol.  Luckily, her head, and the padded carpet held dampen the impact.  She had a good bump and still brings up the incident years later. 

A married man doesn't have to have a good memory. His WIFE will remember everything for him. :D

A long time ago several years out of college I could not find a Smith and Wesson model 43.  That is a air weight 22 long rifle

3 1/2 barrel.  Beautiful little gun.   NIB.  After a couple of years, I replaced it.   About 5 or 6  or 7 years later my mom called

me and ask if I know anything about a gun in a blue box she found in a closet.  Yep, there it was.   I had taken it with me when

I went home one weekend and put it on the top shelf under a blanket.  Now I had two.  But wait....there is more.   Twenty five

years later still had the two almost NIB guns.  A good friend of mine had a well used Model 43 that he had used for 25 years while

running his trap line.   When he said he was going to get rid of it I said how much?  Nothing for you....here.  Now I got 3.

I love a happy ending.

Pretty much the opposite for me - I'll look in a closet, behind a door, some other nook or cranny and think to myself - where did that come from?  Typically tell myself that it must have been a bargain.

Exception is my buddy once gave me a revolver to keep for him - to this day I don't know why.  Some time later he asked me to bring it back.  Looked all over creation and could not find it.  Asked him if he was sure I hadn't given it back to him, he said I didn't.  Kept looking and was about on the verge of buying him a replacement when I was looking for something else, lifted up a box and sure enough there it was in another box under that one.  

Never misplaced a gun... but there is a magazine I know I have that I can't find.  Back when the "wondernines" were just becoming the rage, back in the late 80's, one shooting buddy would expound on the 17 rounds his Glock held, and the other buddy continuously laughed at my 7 round 1911 mags while he was shooting his 15 round Beretta.  So being the trouble maker I am, I found a 15 round mag for my 1911.  It is over a foot long as I remember... looks ridiculous sticking out the bottom of my 1911, but I could match them shot for shot.  I was looking for it a while back and it wasn't any of the places I thought it should be.  It will turn up eventually...I hope

5 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Back when the "wondernines" were just becoming the rage, back in the late 80's, one shooting buddy would expound on the 17 rounds his Glock held, and the other buddy continuously laughed at my 7 round 1911 mags while he was shooting his 15 round Beretta.

Of course living in "10-round limit" California I guess you probably got the last laugh..... <_<

On 1/15/2020 at 1:06 PM, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Never lost one, but often had the nagging feeling that there was one I couldn't remember.  Can't imagine the feeling of actually losing a gun.

I've had a time or 2 when I almost bought a gun that was 'on my list', only to get home and realize I already had one of those.  It's only a matter of time before the deal is good enough that I wind up with 2 of something. 

On 1/15/2020 at 1:21 PM, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Never misplaced a gun... but there is a magazine I know I have that I can't find.  Back when the "wondernines" were just becoming the rage, back in the late 80's, one shooting buddy would expound on the 17 rounds his Glock held, and the other buddy continuously laughed at my 7 round 1911 mags while he was shooting his 15 round Beretta.  So being the trouble maker I am, I found a 15 round mag for my 1911.  It is over a foot long as I remember... looks ridiculous sticking out the bottom of my 1911, but I could match them shot for shot.  I was looking for it a while back and it wasn't any of the places I thought it should be.  It will turn up eventually...I hope

Do you have a sliding glass door?  I bet you're using it to lock the door at night.  Or to prop open a window or the hood of an old car. 

A guy I worked with lost a M29 somewhere around his cabin. He thought he might have misplaced a few others, but he couldn't recall what he exactly owned anymore. He died not long after and I wondered if his inventory had been located. 

No, never lost a gun. My guns go back in the safe immediately. In my hands or in the safe. That's the way I keep it, mostly due to having small kids. Now that hasn't stopped me from forgetting where the safe is.

Found one once while walking my dogs! 9mm Browning laying in the middle of the road early one Sunday morning. 

Turned it over to the local PD. They later informed me that someone brought it out to shoot it for the first time in the orange groves nearby, laid it on the top of their car and drove off.

Archived