SASS Wire Forum

Celebrating Someone’s Demise

Yul Lose

Remember that forgiveness comes from within.

You can either forgive someone or not, and if you can’t, some are not deserving of forgiveness :angry:, and therefore, it doesn’t make you a bad person.

Live your life as you have, enjoying the wonderful things it brings, and the people you share it with and you will find that your focus will fade on this horrible incident.

Some people make the world a better place through their life, some make it a better place through their death.

Faith gives me the power to accept that God’s judgement and justice will be far more glorious, or far more terrible, than anything I have the capacity to imagine. 

In that, I can find the ability to let go of the power that someone else’s acts have over me. 

I pray that you can that peace as well. Not just for yourself, but also for the people who look to you for your strength and wisdom. 

A friend had this posted at his work station and I can't help but find it appropriate for this situation:

"To allow another to determine whether I should be happy or sad, elated or depressed, loving or spiteful, is to relinquish control over my own personality, which ultimately is all I possess".

I too have suffered a significant blow in the past, and it took me a while to realize that I was the only one suffering, not the persons who had offended my family.  I believe, as we are instructed, to pray for the offenders is symbolically "heaping coals of fire on their head".....They will pay, as "vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord".    

I have a situation here that I am not sure what to do about.My grand kids were removed from their parent home by the state.

My son in law has had problems & now I know why.He was molested by his own Brother for years.In the court procedings it came out.The brother finally admitted to it.It was recorded on a phone.

The problem I have is CYFD put the boys in the Brothers home knowing this.Some so called Cycholigist said that at that young age grow out of it.To me once a Pedofile always a pedofile.

The oldest ran away and came to my home.He said that he had been threatend & was scared to be there I contacted the police & they picked him up here.

He was not put back in the home but I havent been able to see him since.The youngest is still in the home.

I am not sure what to do about this.You cant buck the state.

Largo

The "C" in Gunnery Sergeant stands for compassion!

I don't consider myself worthy to judge others, but then again I'm fortunate that nobody has ever wronged me to that degree. The one and only time I can recall actually celebrating someone's death was when it was reported that we finally got Osama bin Laden. But then again when you personally ordered the murder of nearly 3,000 people in a most horrific fashion I guess you truly deserve it.

2 hours ago, MAYOBARD SASS #13025L said:

I have not celebrated the death of anyone.  But, I have felt relief that they were gone. 

This was my feeling when my mother died at age 93 of dementia.

I was pretty happy when Osama bit the dust.  Same for Khadafi and the original Ayatollah.    I was a bit saddened that Osama and the Ayatollah didn't get to go out the way Khadafi did. 

I'm just not as nice as you guys.  If they're evil people I want them gone.  If it's painful, even better.   Guess I lack empathy, or sympathy or something.  If this guy had done something like that to one of my family I would celebrate his death and I would be even happier if he were tortured first, extensively.  Even better if I got to do it.

I don't think anyone doesn't want evil people gone. And I won't deny that I can feel a bit gratified when I see karma come back to bite someone I think deserves it. It's not lacking empathy or sympathy to want someone who is evil to suffer so we can feel that there has been some  justice wrenched back from a tragedy -- it's human. 'Closure' has gained popularity as the term for a very normal reaction.

Tragedy is the package that grief is wrapped in, and everyone has to deal with it in their way. Too often, tragedy carries self-recrimination, the "If only I'd (fill in the conjured self-sacrificing and/or heroic gesture or deed), things would have worked out," that haunts. Anyone who has a shred of character naturally wants to make things better for people they care about, and it's not uncommon to feel guilt or remorse for not fixing a problem, even if it was unknown or rationally impossible to do so. A lot of times, people need that person to suffer to ease their own feelings of helplessness in the face of evil -- to get back a feeling that the world has a balance to it.

As I said -- there is no torture any of us can imagine in this world that can even begin to meet the level of what a condemned soul faces in his final judgement, with the distinction that at some point torture in this world will ease and end. Yes, it is a challenge to hand that over and plenty of times I don't do so well -- sometimes I catch me enjoying buffet Christianity, or have to remind myself that I really shouldn't judge God's judgement. That's just being human.

Yup, for me, there are several different questions buried within your original post.

On Forgiveness, my beliefs are that I forgive so that I may relieve myself of a burden, that weighs solely on me, not the person I bear animosity against.  This does not mean I forget the wrongs they've committed, nor do I need to allow them the opportunity to cause me, or others, harm again.

On Celebrating. This is something I had never considered. No, I don't believe I could bring myself to "celebrate," in the normally understood definition of the word. This does not mean that I wouldn't be, and haven't been, thankful for the passing of others. I've also experienced profound relief, that their ability to cause harm has expired along with them.

On Grief. Grief is natural, and as you are well aware, is equal to the hole created in one's life by the absence of a loved one. I don't believe we ever truly get over grief, except in those rare instances the loved one is returned to us. The pain simply dulls, much as we get used to a physical pain, and we figure out ways to move forward despite the pain.

Your pain causes my heart to ache for you. I wish you the best, and you and your family will be in my thoughts and meditations.

I celebrated the death of Hitler, the death of Mussolini, the atomic bombing of Japan. I am still thrilled about those actions. I was glad to see FDR gone. Regarding a general, his job was death, my job was death, I am always happy when we do a better job than they do.

I am not hard but realistic.  :mellow:

My Dad was the officer of the day on the California when it was sunk at Pearl Harbor.
As such he was the last man alive when they got the survivors out.
He was bitter about walking across the deck on the "guts and brains" of what used to be his shipmates.

Dad spoke about the Rape of Nanking, Bataan and the jamming of glass rods into the penis of POWs, then smashing that rod for a lifetime of pain and misery.
I too, celebrated the two nukes dropped on Japan.
I most certainly celebrate the death of yet another terrorist.

On forgiveness, Doc Ward has it right. I work with Kairos prison ministry, and we deal a lot with forgiveness. Probably the hardest thing The Word calls us to do. It really has nothing to do if the other person deserves it. Often they don't. We as believers don't deserve it either, but God made a way for us to claim it. Don't mean to preach here. In Kairos we equate unforgiveness as mixing up some poison for our enemy and drinking it ourselves and expecting the enemy to drop dead. Forgiveness is partly a selfish thing as it relieves us of that baggage. I hope the Holy Spirit will move in your heart to forgive and release YOURSELF of the burden.

JHC

"Celebrate" is not the thing you should do.  That is because of all the events leading up to the point of "celebrating" is a tragic, cruel, and awful thing.  There is nothing to celebrate what led up to all this.  The best you can do is be glad that real justice will prevail in this case, and that the person will get the correct punishment for the crime.  Obviously, the state did not give punishment to fit the crime, but that will not be the last word.  True, correct punishment, for this person, is ahead.  

Ideally, we would wish this person had not done all this, that has led up to this sure, and upcoming punishment.  But, we don't live in an ideal world. 

If anything can be said, it is that this person will lose his life, soon, and then this person will be judged for this.  Hebrews 10 : 30 &  31.

No one escapes.   

We can also look forward to the fact that we will not forever remember all the bad things that have happened to us, or our loved ones.  Isaiah 65:17

So "celebrate" is not what should be done.  Just be glad that no one gets away with harming others.  It is a sure thing, either in this life, or the next. 

Archived