SASS Wire Forum

Bond derringer in 9mm for side matches?

Philosopher

I see on the first page of our beloved website that Bond is selling the Roughneck version of their derringer for the low, low price of $269. 

At that price I might need to embarrass myself in derringer side matches! 

BUT would the 9mm Luger chambering be legal?  After reading the Handbook it appears to check all the boxes, only the .22 magnum cartridge is explicitly excluded, BUT I thought I'd consult the brain trust before parting with my hard-earned $$$

What say yee?  Thanks!!

Reading page 31 of the rule book, a 9mm should be okay, but you will have to load your own SASS legal ammo.  It might be simpler to get one in 38/357.  Cheap 38 factory ammo is about the same cost as 9mm.  Lots of SASS legal 38 ammo on the shelf that will work in a derringer.  38 special ammo is simpler to reload and the reloading costs are virtually the exact same.  For this game I cannot see a logical reason to opt for a 9mm over 38, but if you want to use a 9mm I don't see anything in the rules against it. 

I wish I could find a Roughneck in 38/357  I’ve seen 9mm and 45 Colt.  I wonder if that’s the only calibers offered? (I know I can buy additional barrels) 

7 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

One could shoot Federal's Syntech 9mm ammo (polymer coated bullets).  Handloading SASS-legal ammo would not be required.

Do they make a sub sonic 9mm load?  Most have an advertised velocity over 1000fps.

The 147 grain load is advertised at 1,000 fps out of a 4-inch barrel.  I suspect it would be less that 1,000 fps out of a derringer.  However, page 26 of the Shooters Handbook states "Pocket pistols, derringers, and long-range rifles are exempt from the power factor and velocity requirements." 

53 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I wish I could find a Roughneck in 38/357  I’ve seen 9mm and 45 Colt.  I wonder if that’s the only calibers offered? (I know I can buy additional barrels) 

THIS is the primary reason I'm considering the 9mm chambering. My local fun store checked their distributors and none of them have a .357/.38 gun. I also noticed that the recent article in the American Rifleman about the Bond Roughneck refers to just a 9mm gun and a .45/.410 gun. The only reference to .357/.38 is that there are spare barrels for those cartridges in the Roughneck finish.

I handload 9mm cartridges already. Making a low-power load with a lead bullet would be zero problem.

Last couple times I checked for Bond barrels on their site, I have not seen the seconds listed.  They also state barrels may take 5-6 weeks to supply.  In the caliber choices they are only offering about 8 calibers although the claim 27 choices available.  Starting to think they are not making quantities of extra barrels.    Hoping I am wrong.  Anyone else have better news.   A friend ordered the original Bond and got a  hat and coupon for an extra barrel for half price FYI        GW

I use a Bond in 45 colt. But I load the 45 cowboy special for it. 3.5 grains of Trail Boss and a 200 grain Bullet. Mild load

4 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Th "Pocket pistols, derringers, and long-range rifles are exempt from the power factor and velocity requirements." 

But they are not exempt from SASS guns must shoot a caliber common to the period.

1 hour ago, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

But they are not exempt from SASS guns must shoot a caliber common to the period.

Where might one find that requirement (other than for Rifle Caliber sidematches)?

(REF: SHB p.39)

15 hours ago, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

Even the requirement for main match revolvers, "Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers", has been further defined in The Glossary of Terms as, "Commonly available – obtainable by anyone given ordinary circumstances with ordinary means." It's certainly not extraordinary for someone to have, say, a .357 cylinder chambered for .44 special and rebarrel a New Vaquero to shoot said cartridge, so would it be considered extraordinary to re-chamber to something like .357 Sig or .400 CorBon? We won't know until someone does it. ;)

Archived