SASS Wire Forum

Revolver Carbine

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I know they are not allowed under the rules, and I have no problem with that.

But has anyone ever shot a local or monthly match using a revolver carbine, reloading it as needed, just for the heck of it?  Or just gone out to the range and used one for some plinking?  I keep toying with the idea of getting one, just to have one, and I am curious to know what someone who may have one thinks of how they shoot.

I have handled the reproductions based on the Remington 58, and I like them.   I have also handled the Uberties based on the Colt, and I don't like them at all.

Yep. A real pain to shoot because the stock drop isn't sufficient enough to get yer eye down far enough for a sight picture. I probably never would have bought one, but a local shop was closing this one out at about half price.

Uberti, .45  Colt.

RevolverCarbine.jpg

Carbine1.jpg

2 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Yep. A real pain to shoot because the stock drop isn't sufficient enough to get yer eye down far enough for a sight picture. I probably never would have bought one, but a local shop was closing this one out at about half price.

Uberti, .45  Colt.

For those Uberties to be usable, a very different stock is needed.     I do agree with you that for half off, I might have bought it myself!

I wonder if an original Could shoulderstock for the SAA would fit on the frame.   I've seen those at gunshows, and if I recall correctly, they clamp over the standard pistol grip.   Thought about getting one to pair with my antique Colt, but it was way too expensive.  

The Remingtons are fun to shoot.   Carry a spare cylinder and it isn't that long to reload

I have used my 1875 Navy Arms .357 mag. at local shoots. It is a blast and I've figured out it can be shot fairly fast with a little practice. This one is from the late 1970s and a keeper.

20190810_180127.thumb.jpg.e2706289e81240be395ef66b70de1582.jpg

The LGS has this Rossi on sale, shoots .45LC and .410, Looks like a fun gun!

image.png.6f4e02190b78ba531b68b0846e366b47.png

3 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I know they are not allowed under the rules, and I have no problem with that.

But has anyone ever shot a local or monthly match using a revolver carbine, reloading it as needed, just for the heck of it?  Or just gone out to the range and used one for some plinking?  I keep toying with the idea of getting one, just to have one, and I am curious to know what someone who may have one thinks of how they shoot.

I have handled the reproductions based on the Remington 58, and I like them.   I have also handled the Uberties based on the Colt, and I don't like them at all.

There is a local non-sass shoot I attend every other month. SASS rules don't apply, so certain guns are allowed. The MD usually tailors the match based on what he bought recently, and in this match the stage called for shooting 10 rifle from one location. Stage rifle and shoot another rifle from second location and shoot 5. Why 5? Well it turns out he had recently purchased one of those revolving carbines so it fit the stage perfectly. It was fun to watch, but not sure I would want to shoot one. From what I understand, you have to hold it a little differently than most rifles, as you want to avoid your hand being in front of the cylinder.

12 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

From what I understand, you have to hold it a little differently than most rifles, as you want to avoid your hand being in front of the cylinder.

See the above pic of the Remington?  With your shooting hand, you grip that brass thingee.  With your other hand, you grip your shooting hand.

It's works very naturally.   On the other hand, the way above Uberti is very difficult to figure out how to grip.  Couple that with how the stock shape makes it all but impossible to properly shoulder it, and there are more reasons why I've never purchased one.

(All of this is comparing them at a LGS)

H. K. Uriah,

If you have a spare orphan 1873 trigger guard, backstrap, and grip lying around, you should be able to fit this Pietta shoulder stock to your 3-screw revolver. The frame does not need to be cut for a shoulder stock and does not need the "4th screw" extensions. It utilizes a different hammer screw with extensions on each side, available from VTI. EMF sells the stock for $275:  https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/1851-NAVY-SHOULDER-STOCK-229p1196.htm

GU-Navy-And-Stock-001.jpg

I have a Pietta 1851 Navy 4-screw cut for shoulder stock that uses the Colt Type 3 stock:

Pietta-1851-Navy-w-Shoulder-Stock-001.jp

Regards,

Jim

To anyone interested in getting one I would strongly suggest an 1858 or 1875 Remington style due to the ease of using them. Let alone the fact that they are available in .357 mag. and are also more authentic then the Colt style.

Keep your eye on GunBroker, Guns International, GunsAmerica, Armslist or any of the other sites. They come up used quite often. A lot are .44 caliber black powder that are relatively cheap but then you need to deal with the cost of getting and fitting a .45 Colt conversion cylinder to it. But that's not a big problem if that's the caliber you prefer. A plus to the black powder version is they don't need to be sent to a FFL.

Mine has the standard 18" barrel on it, I have always been thinking been thinking of changing it to the more authentic 24" or 26" barrel.

If you get one and take it to a match be prepared for the line of people wanting to try it out afterwards. I really enjoy the heck out of mine.

If the government came by and told me I can only keep 25 guns, it would be one of the first to get thrown into the save pile........

8 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I've thought about cutting the stock most of the way through, steaming it, bending it, and gluing in a wedge of wood to make it more usable.

Carbine.jpg

I'd sure think about drilling the two halves to accept a hardwood dowel or two to assure against future glue failure at the wedge point of stress.  

Archived