SASS Wire Forum

help with jam in 1873

Trigger Mike

I was hoping to sell my original 1873 and fired a few rounds to show the buyer how accurate it is.  The holes touch at 12 yards.  Sadly the 6th round appears to have a swollen brass where the bullet sits.  This means the bullet can't go in without shaving a portion off the bullet and then can't get past the bulged brass.  The extractor has a solid hold but can't clear to eject the round either.  I took off the side plate and part of the levers came out but with the bolt not being able to move much I don't know how to proceed.  

As you describe it, the problem is with the ammo, not the rifle.  I think that the best way to proceed is to try to get the toggles off first.  Then, take the rear link pin holding the firing pin extension stop off, which will release the firing pin extension and allow the firing pin to be released.   Then you should be able to punch out the round and the breech bolt without the risk of setting off the round.

I had a similar issue happen to me with my then-new Uberti 1873. The mouth of the cartridge case peeled back as it chambered, and I couldn't chamber nor eject it. I ended up having to remove the magazine tube plug (which was on TIGHT), then the spring and follower, and finally shake all the ammo out. After that I disassembled the action and finally removed the bad cartridge from the lifter.

Definitely not the kind of thing you want to have happen in the middle of a gunfight. :blink:

Howdy,

Once I bought some reload 38s that caused problems.

If you happen to have a revolver the same caliber as the rifle

you can drop out the cylinder and use it as a check by putting

ammo in the cylinder.  this will point out odd cases which

can be set aside for further attention.

Best

CR

I'm sure you know this already, but once you clear the rifle, you may want to look at a Redding profile crimp die to help you get more consistent reloads and use a chamber checker. 

I had similar problems when starting to load .44-40 in my Uberti 1873 that I purchased for black powder.  I also had to go to a smaller diameter bullet.  Although newer Uberti's have a .429 diameter barrel, some of the bullets I was purchasing were actually bigger than advertised and were causing jams.  I started using .428 or .427 lead and have not had problems since.  If I remember correctly, original Winchesters were bored to .427.  You may want to check the bullets that you are using to make sure they are not over-sized.

Please give us an update when you get things sorted out.

Archived