SASS Wire Forum

Anyone use a Lee Loadmaster?

Lone Rider SASS#32091

I bought a used Loadmaster many years ago and it has been sitting all this time. It is in good shape and I decided to get it out and give it a try. I have watched many you tube videos on set up etc. but it just doesn’t seem to want to work for me. I am a fan of Lee, I have been using a Turret press for years but this has been difficult. Are they that hard to set up or is it just me?

Since the Load Master is more complicated than the simple Turret presses, they are a little more difficult to set up.

The youtubes have helped me.

One requirement is to have a very stable and level base.

Here is a site that may help you:

http://www.loadmastervideos.com/

Just a thought, not a Lee user, "but", if it's been sitting a long time. You might want to take it down, clean and relubricate it . You might get a more harmonious outcome. :)

I lower most of ours on one.   If your still using the chain system get rid of it a simple hardware spring works better. 

1 hour ago, Castalia,SASS#18915 said:

I remember fighting one of these machines a number of years back. They do work well if you use the exact hull, powder charge, and wad in the instructions. Change one thing for what you have available and they will not crimp reliably.

You're thinking of the Load All for shotgun shells

Load Master is for metallic

mine works just fine but I prime on the bench,primers was the problem,put the powder die in the second hole and added a RCBS powder checker die in the third hole

54 minutes ago, cajun bandit said:

mine works just fine but I prime on the bench,primers was the problem,put the powder die in the second hole and added a RCBS powder checker die in the third hole

Thats how I load on mine, except I use hand primer.

9 hours ago, Lone Rider SASS#32091 said:

I bought a used Loadmaster many years ago and it has been sitting all this time. It is in good shape and I decided to get it out and give it a try. I have watched many you tube videos on set up etc. but it just doesn’t seem to want to work for me. I am a fan of Lee, I have been using a Turret press for years but this has been difficult. Are they that hard to set up or is it just me?

What exactly are you having a problem with ?

I can’t get it to index. I have watched the videos and I believe I have everything set up properly but the index rod won’t catch on the rail like it should. I have adjusted it against the rail but it won’t stay on the rail on the downstroke. I have about decided to get a new index rod and try it. I am also having trouble with the case feeder but I need to watch more videos on that. Thanks.

If index isn’t functioning you are probably out of adjustment, underneath the bottom of the ram ( where handle meets tube) there is a single bolt facing straight down, loosen that then with index rod extended turn the ram until the rod contacts frame, re-tighten bolt and bobs your uncle.  

I love them I can change them over quick and go full automated (casing and bullet feed) or hand feed the bullets and run out quite a few rounds in no time at all.  They do take a little TLC to get up and running, but for the money, I think they are a great deal.  I have had a Hornady LnL press but never tried Dillon.

Happy Reloading

WzinLdy2TaiJmkEsK5kF4A.jpg

31 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Wow, 17 replies trying to be helpful so far and not a single "Get a Dillon!" post.  :)

Get a Dillon! :P

Hey, if you want to futz around with trying to get the Lee working, more power to ya pard! When I was looking to buy a progressive press, all of the research I did made me realize that going that route would be painful, so I opted for blue and I have zero regrets 25 years later.

That being said, as long as you're making ammo, good on you regardless of what color the press is you're using! B)

I started on a loadmaster. They are good presses. Can be finicky. I moved to a D 650 after a squib/OOB incident. Not sure it was the LM fault, but I decided I wanted a powder check die. 

the Dillon is a better press, but it cost 3X as much. I found it interesting that they sell a replacement parts kit that has 20 some pieces of the parts most likely to break (yes they will replace them for free, but you have to wait on the mail).  I don’t think the LM has 20 parts total!!   

long story short, both are capable of making excellent ammo. Both have pluses and minuses. Once you get the LM figured out it’s fine. I actually had less trouble getting the LM set up than I did the Dillon. 

Thanks for all the suggestions and information. I had watched the you tube videos recommended several times but ignored one suggestion  to grease the indexing rod and the rail. I didn’t have any grease and decided to try a little gun oil and it is working now ( I will get some grease). My next challenge is the case feeder but there are a lot of videos on it also . This is a project for me since it is not my main press ( right now) so I will continue to work on it. I am not the most mechanically inclined person so it is probably more me than the press. I need to slow down to get a more harmonious outcome! Thanks again.

2 hours ago, Lone Rider SASS#32091 said:

Thanks for all the suggestions and information. I had watched the you tube videos recommended several times but ignored one suggestion  to grease the indexing rod and the rail. I didn’t have any grease and decided to try a little gun oil and it is working now ( I will get some grease). My next challenge is the case feeder but there are a lot of videos on it also . This is a project for me since it is not my main press ( right now) so I will continue to work on it. I am not the most mechanically inclined person so it is probably more me than the press. I need to slow down to get a more harmonious outcome! Thanks again.

case feeder is not all that hard.  andjust the nuts so that the feeder is about 1/4" taller than bullet.  then mark it with a sharpie so you can get it back if needed.  again, its kind of fidly, but once you get it right it works well.  I think the Lee case feeder with the coallator is superior to the Dillon case feeder, and waaaaaay cheaper!  it just works well.  for 38 sp I could load about 80 in the tubes, and abnother 20 in the colator, so could do 100 rounds then relaod primer tray and cases at same time. 

Archived