SASS Wire Forum

new but old member

Highwall

I joined up decades ago and let my membership fall by the wayside due to raising a family etc. Now that I'm retired I am able to join up again and get involved. I'm a dedicated 45-70 shooter with my 1885 Browning High wall along with .45 long colt in a Ruger Vaqero and a Pietta both in a 4 5/8 inch barrel.

Browning 1885 .45-70 Hi Wall.jpg

Yeah I know it's ugly but my competition days are over since my eyes went south years ago. I had to add it to hit where I wanted

32 minutes ago, Highwall said:

Yeah I know it's ugly but my competition days are over since my eyes went south years ago. I had to add it to hit were I wanted

I out a scope on Kaya's Marlin too. About gave some pards a seizure! 

Welcome back by the way! 

Thanks all for the nice welcome! I'm glad to be back! #42425

Welcome back, some things have changed, some havent. Folks are shooting WAY faster than when we started( you hust have originally joined in 01-01 from your SASS number..  Have fun and get yourself a good hat

Imis

It's really fantastic if not ingenious that SASS  has a way to keep former members on file so if they return down the road they don't have to re-register and come up with another alias again! After all this time all I had to do is renew my original membership! Kudos to SASS and thanks for making it so easy to rejoin!

I checked online and I can revert my 1885 back to iron sights (don't know what happened to my originals) for about $118. Only reason I consider that is someday my grandson will inherit it and might have 20/20 vision! :rolleyes:

3 items.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I convinced myself into removing the scope and going back to iron sights. 

1.  it looks much better (like an 1885 should)

2. my days of shooting it are about over (I needed the scope)

3. iron sights will be better one day for my grandsons first shooting of it  

Welcome back home Pard .

Things just got faster that's all.

7 hours ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Welcome back home Pard .

Things just got faster that's all.

Not for all of us, Rooster! 

welcome back Highwall. Some of us ain’t got no faster but still have a ball playin’ cowboy.

59 minutes ago, watab kid said:

we can struggle the old eyes together with our 4570s , im in the same boat - i thought of a Malcolm but decided i would just fight through it , glad your back , 

About 20 years ago a bunch of us were at the range shooting our .45 colts rifles. There was  lever action Winchesters, Marlins and Uberti's and a low wall Winchester. Then this member shows up with a H&R Buffalo Classic with a Malcolm 6x. He destroyed us all! He never missed shooting a metal swinger at 100 yards. So we moved the targets back to 150 yds and he hit 4 out of 5. :wacko:

Pard;

I use what is Called a "Highwall" in .40-65 made by Uberti to ring Steel out to Over 1,300 Yards ....

We have taken the Rams from the 550 meter line out to 1,000 yards and fairly hit rams go down ...

Jabez Cowboy

8 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Pard;

I use what is Called a "Highwall" in .40-65 made by Uberti to ring Steel out to Over 1,300 Yards ....

We have taken the Rams from the 550 meter line out to 1,000 yards and fairly hit rams go down ...

Jabez Cowboy

That's awesome! At 1,000 yds you could sip on your coffee before it hits! LOL

That long For Caliber .40 cal. bullet leaves the Muzzle at 1,550 Fps. and sure ranges Well ,,,, It has less than half the drop that my buddies .38-55 has ....

I really notice how much less wind drift it has as well ...

I really should Chronograph it at 300 yards to get a true reading as to it's Ballistic Coefficient  ...

Jabez Cowboy

Jabez, I have had an Oehler 89 on order for over a year now. Talked to them at SHOT last week. Still tweaking it so it will even work with 22lr. Should be available by mid summer. I'm only buying it to get accurate BCs on the old BP cartridge lead bullets.  I know the published ones are wrong. bullets.

I reinstalled the iron sights today. Does it look better now?

iron sights.jpg

i like it , it looks right , i understood the scope and would not have given a hard time for keeping it , admire the fact your willing to look to another way to overcome age - i have a friend that sent me a link to prescription shooting glasses im going to try out 

1 minute ago, watab kid said:

i like it , it looks right , i understood the scope and would not have given a hard time for keeping it , admire the fact your willing to look to another way to overcome age - i have a friend that sent me a link to prescription shooting glasses im going to try out 

I have prescription amber lens shooting glasses from back in the days I competed in IHMSA. I don't know if they would be right for my 1885 but probably worth a try. After reinstalling the iron sights I found the front sight to be nothing but a blur.  :( Although I converted it back for my grandson, not for me! 

On 1/31/2020 at 7:43 PM, Michigan Slim said:

Now my twitch will go away and I'll stop stuttering so m m m m m much. Better! lol

I think I would still have a twitch if I was "Michigan Slim" and lived in Indiana! :huh:

It's like Texarkana!  Who's a Longhorn and who's a Razorback?  :D

Welcome back Highwall.

My distance vision started degrading.  I had a tang site installed on my rifle.  Now (with that pin hole apperature) everything is in sharp focus.

Here’s pic of a Lyman installed.

CFAC788D-A8A3-4105-B3F8-9F6E18E51C6D.jpeg

11 minutes ago, WOLFY said:

Welcome back Highwall.

My distance vision started degrading.  I had a tang site installed on my rifle.  Now (with that pin hole apperature) everything is in sharp focus.

That's something I should look into! Thanks for the input!

Archived