SASS Wire Forum

I'll be Back

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I just think this is so cool...

1636013068_87MaresLeg.thumb.JPG.f32d113ef640c78eaba2ebe089c030d0.JPG

Made by Chiappa.   The action is pretty smooth when compared to my real Winchester.   Stuffing the magazine is a bit of chore, but overall, it's a lot of fun.  No, I have not, nor will I try, to spin it, not even unloaded for fun.

This is pretty much the only way you can get a "Mare's Leg" in Massachusetts, as it's a shotgun, not a pistol.  Fit and finish is very nice.  The only thing odd about it is that the top of the barrel has some holes on the top that look like they are for mounting a scope or a rail or something.  You really can't hold it out with one hand and point it like a pistol; it's too heavy.   Like any 87, you've gotta run it hard to cycle the shells, but I have not fired it yet, only run some spent all brass ones through it.   I am eager to try it at a match sometime soon.   It'll probably be a once a year gun, but then again, I've said that about other things in my collection.   We'll see what happens after I try it at least once.    

It's REALLY pretty, but I'll never win any speed contests with this.  The configuration actually makes it slower to operate than one with a full shoulder stock.

2 minutes ago, Rolan Kraps, SASS # 24084 Life said:

Great for Outlaw!

Send it to Lassiter for a Drop Two modification.

Depending on how it works, if needed I'll do an action job, but the drop 2 is one thing I won't do.  I want to be able to load the magazine up even if I cant ever do so at a match.

Just now, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Tyrel,

that ain't a Mare's Leg.   Its an 87.

..........Widder

Ok, let me restate. 

I thought a shotgun with a stock that short had been deemed illegal for SASS matches.

And I finally found where I had read that:

I'd be more concerned with NFA and BATFE than SASS.

:o

1 hour ago, Cayuse Jack, SASS #19407 said:

It’s not a shotgun nor rifle according to batfe it’s an “other” firearm and totally legal.

And it has an 18.5" barrel, so it's good even if you add a regular butt stock.

Archived