SASS Wire Forum

I'm Back

Sergeant Smokepole #29248L

It has been forever as I have forgotten my sign in info. I just remembered it so I signed in. My Match days are probably all in the past now. 6 herniated discs makes it extremely painful to wear a gun belt. But I will never forget all the Friends I have made in SASS.

After awhile, the "discomfort" becomes a part of you and you can still do everything, just a lot slower. FWIW, I have kept shooting but am able to stop in order to get my concentration back on the targets when it drifts to my body. We simply have to adapt to our new reality.

KEEP SHOOTING PARD!  :)

We had a older shooter leave CAS a few years ago for similar reasons.  He now shoots American Rimfire Benchrest and is the match director for that activity at a club I belong to.  There is plenty of enjoyable shooting for those who cannot strap on a gun belt.  Make new friends and greet old ones when your paths cross on a shooting range.  

Great to see you back, I hope that you could possibly feel well enough to get out to a match! 

As as a side note,  Sgt. Smokepole was the first cowboy to let me shoot the Holy Black!   Back in the last century, Zeb and Shoshone Slim went on "The Tour" and invited me to join in when they went to Bristol. It was a cold November day, and I've never had more fun freezing my --- off.

WR

15 hours ago, Wrangler Rich SASS #42157 said:

Great to see you back, I hope that you could possibly feel well enough to get out to a match! 

As as a side note,  Sgt. Smokepole was the first cowboy to let me shoot the Holy Black!   Back in the last century, Zeb and Shoshone Slim went on "The Tour" and invited me to join in when they went to Bristol. It was a cold November day, and I've never had more fun freezing my --- off.

WR

Rich, that's quite the Posse: Sgt. Smokepole, Zeb and Slim.  FWIW, Slim tells me he hopes to be back shooting this Spring.  I've been looking forward to that for some time now.  He quit shooting about the time I switched over to BP and I have not yet had the chance to shoot CAS with him since the switch.

Angus

52 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

Rich, that's quite the Posse: Sgt. Smokepole, Zeb and Slim.  FWIW, Slim tells me he hopes to be back shooting this Spring.  I've been looking forward to that for some time now.  He quit shooting about the time I switched over to BP and I have not yet had the chance to shoot CAS with him since the switch.

Angus

Angus,

I'd be delighted to shoot with both of you Guys again. If I remember correctly the last time was at St. Jude's.  

WR

On 1/5/2020 at 1:47 PM, Wrangler Rich SASS #42157 said:

Angus,

I'd be delighted to shoot with both of you Guys again. If I remember correctly the last time was at St. Jude's.  

WR

Could be.  Was that the year we got rained out on the second day?  If so then I DID get to shoot one match using BP with Shoshone Slim.  It was my first match using BP in a pair of '58 Remingtons.  It was kind of a "just for the heck of it" thing and I went right back to smokeless afterwards.  I was pretty darned proud of myself because I didn't have a single misfire and that included the last two cylinders loaded up during a heck of a downpour.  I think I had to borrow Slim's .44 rifle and ammo because I only owned a .45 Marlin and didn't have any BP lubed bullets to load in it.

I think that's also where I met Sgt. Smokepole.  I'm thinking he didn't shoot for some reason, but came down for the dinner and auction.  Maybe he was just on a different Posse.  Does that sound about right, Sarge?  I know I paid way too much for 5# of BP there.  I got caught up in the moment and "It's for the kids".  :D  Lots of people paid way too much for a lot of things at that auction.  Besides, the entry fees were ridiculously cheap.  All that extra money not spent on entry went to overpay for items at the auction.

Man, those were good times.  I don't do much traveling anymore, and two day matches have gotten a bit expensive for me.  When I can drag Slim back out to a match I'll see if we can get over to Sparta and maybe we can meet up there.

Now you've gotten me trying to think of another shooter From the Chicago area who was at St. Jude's match.  Tall thin guy with a big white mustache.  He used to shoot with Chicago Steely and constantly give him a hard time.  He passed several years ago from cancer.  I know Slim will remember.

Apologies to Sgt. Smokepole for hi-jacking your thread.  (And, if I neglected to say so already, welcome back to the Wire)

Black Angus McPherson

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2020 at 3:55 PM, Black Angus McPherson said:

Could be.  Was that the year we got rained out on the second day?  If so then I DID get to shoot one match using BP with Shoshone Slim.  It was my first match using BP in a pair of '58 Remingtons.  It was kind of a "just for the heck of it" thing and I went right back to smokeless afterwards.  I was pretty darned proud of myself because I didn't have a single misfire and that included the last two cylinders loaded up during a heck of a downpour.  I think I had to borrow Slim's .44 rifle and ammo because I only owned a .45 Marlin and didn't have any BP lubed bullets to load in it.

I think that's also where I met Sgt. Smokepole.  I'm thinking he didn't shoot for some reason, but came down for the dinner and auction.  Maybe he was just on a different Posse.  Does that sound about right, Sarge?  I know I paid way too much for 5# of BP there.  I got caught up in the moment and "It's for the kids".  :D  Lots of people paid way too much for a lot of things at that auction.  Besides, the entry fees were ridiculously cheap.  All that extra money not spent on entry went to overpay for items at the auction.

Man, those were good times.  I don't do much traveling anymore, and two day matches have gotten a bit expensive for me.  When I can drag Slim back out to a match I'll see if we can get over to Sparta and maybe we can meet up there.

Now you've gotten me trying to think of another shooter From the Chicago area who was at St. Jude's match.  Tall thin guy with a big white mustache.  He used to shoot with Chicago Steely and constantly give him a hard time.  He passed several years ago from cancer.  I know Slim will remember.

Apologies to Sgt. Smokepole for hi-jacking your thread.  (And, if I neglected to say so already, welcome back to the Wire)

Black Angus McPherson

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

I started in Darien and Elkhorn. Next, I enjoyed shooting a few times at Bristol and Beloit. The first two are long gone. Bristol was and probably still is a quality outfit.

Times change. I went elk hunting this fall with my walker!!!   :o

On 1/4/2020 at 9:24 AM, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

After awhile, the "discomfort" becomes a part of you and you can still do everything, just a lot slower. FWIW, I have kept shooting but am able to stop in order to get my concentration back on the targets when it drifts to my body. We simply have to adapt to our new reality.

KEEP SHOOTING PARD!  :)

...well said...

Archived