SASS Wire Forum

Yank in my woodpile!

Warden Callaway

It was a good day to go trading.  Hit the first gunshop and their inventory was visibly down.  They had had a good Christmas run.  But it all went out and no "good stuff" came in in trade.  The shop was quiet while we were there. 

We went on to second gunshop.  He had a Dixie Gun Works "Yank" 51 Navy in 44 snub nose with Thunderer grips . I'd looked at at several times in the past few months and really liked its looks and feel.  We made a deal.

1706771884_Pietta51Yany44Jan2020.jpg.ba78874061b2f435e89dab5171e52aeb.jpg

Now there is a "Yank" to go with my two Confederate 44s. :)

I've heard good things about that little piece.

Did you get the brass ram rod for loading with it?

7 minutes ago, Smokey Dave said:

I've heard good things about that little piece.

Did you get the brass ram rod for loading with it?

Should have been in the box but it wasn't.  I didn't let it be a deal breaker as I'll load with a press anyway.  He accepted my first offer quickly so maybe the loss of the ram rod was my gain. 

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

We do expect a full range report with video. ;)

OLG 

Maybe I'll make a 20 minute video of the box and papers and call it an unboxing review.   B)

I had some thoughts of a conversion cylinder in 45Colt.   But they only hold 5.  

thats an interesting little critter , i never see that sort of thing - might be enticed for the right price , but i tend toward longer barrels these days , congrats on a great find , it looks in really nice condition , do post up some video - i really enjoy your videos 

7 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I had some thoughts of a conversion cylinder in 45Colt.   But they only hold 5.  

You are aware that as long as the conversion cylinder has a indexing notch for the hammer or minimally the ability to be hammer down between Chambers (without indexing to place round under hammer) - a five shot cylinder is legal and allowed?

23 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

You are aware that as long as the conversion cylinder has a indexing notch for the hammer or minimally the ability to be hammer down between Chambers (without indexing to place round under hammer) - a five shot cylinder is legal and allowed?

Yes,  I've watched them at the loading table putting their cylinders in and getting them indexed.  But they were Remington, as I recall.  Colt should be easier to index on the arbor before before installing the barrel.  

4 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Yes,  I've watched them at the loading table putting their cylinders in and getting them indexed.  But they were Remington, as I recall.  Colt should be easier to index on the arbor before before installing the barrel.  

Just didn't want you to miss out on using the conversion cylinder just because it was only five rounds.

Looks like a fun little gun.

Something happened over night!  The Yank grew!

722205933_PiettaYankwithlongbarrelJan2020.jpg.e1ab88cc4342b5d0db713da06d4cd3c8.jpg

I bought this 7-1/2" barrel assembly at a gun show a couple of years ago. The sum of its parts would be much more than the cost of the assembly.  

Anyway,  I got it found and stuck into the Yank.  The wedge needed fitting.  I tinkered with that several hours today.

I finished fitting the 7-1/2" barrel wedge this morning.  And got around to shooting it this afternoon.   It was over 50 but windy. 

Here I'm just plinking.  

Earlier I shot it two cylinders with 7-1/2" barrel through the chronograph and then two more with 3" barrel.   The 7-1/2" average 610 fps were the 3" average was 446 fps.  Loads were 25g Goex ffg with fiber wad under ball.

I shot other video.  I'll look through it to see if it's enough to put up in a full length feature video.

Archived