SASS Wire Forum

Performing an introduction

Alpo

the correct way.

Let's say I wish to introduce two people who have never met. A guy and a girl. Does the introduction need to go in both directions, or does one suffice?

Miss Allie Mo, allow me to introduce Mr. Hardpan Curmudgeon.

That's one direction. Do I then need to say, "Mr. Curmudgeon - Miss Mo", or is the introduction official just introducing him to her?

Do you introduce the guy to the girl, or the girl to the guy, or does it matter?

The dim dark recesses of my brain say that my example was correct - you introduce the guy to the girl. But (and I know this will come as a great shock to all of you) I have been wrong - once or twice.

The same dark recess says that once I have introduced him to her I should introduce her to him, although using a truncated version, as in my example, is permissible.  Seems sort of redundant, though.

I introduce both to each other. I usually introduce the Lady to the man first and then the man to the lady, if in a formal setting.

A lot depends on where I am. At work I am less formal and will introduce the person I am least familiar with to the more familiar,  regardless of gender.

I think you introduce them to each other. Yes, it is redundant by (I think) proper.

However, when introducing a full auto AR15 with a grenade launcher to a group of people, you only have to introduce the AR once, "Say hello to my little friend". They seem to get the point.

From 

https://www.rightattitudes.com/2007/11/03/etiquette-protocol-introducing-people/

Way more info on the site

The Art of Making Introductions: Four Steps

The basic protocol of introductions calls for introducing the ‘lesser-ranking’ (socially, professionally, by age or seniority) to the ‘higher-ranking’ person. Here are four steps:

1. First, state the name of the person being introduced to. This is the ‘higher-ranking’ person.
  2. Second, say “I would like to introduce” or, “please meet” or, “this is,” etc.
  3. Third, state the name of the person being introduced. This is the ‘lower-ranking’ person.
  4. Finally, offer some details about each, as appropriate. As I wrote in a previous article, add a snippet of information about a topic of common interest between the two parties. Do not elaborate. This will help them connect and pursue a conversation.

9 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I introduce both to each other. I usually introduce the Lady to the man first and then the man to the lady, if in a formal setting.

A lot depends on where I am. At work I am less formal and will introduce the person I am least familiar with to the more familiar,  regardless of gender.

Hey, Mary, this is Pat.  You won't like him but do your best to get along.

Archived