SASS Wire Forum

Eagle Scouts

MizPete

Just got home from Grandson #2's Honor Court.  Some of y'all may remember him as Pete T Younger.  Grandson #1 (the Dude Ranch Kid) earned his four years ago.  I know another - Jack B Nimble (Eagle at 15).  Gotta be more of you out there.

Congratulations, Miz Pete ~ to the young man and his family!  Well done, indeed!!  This is a BIG deal ~ he's a "Four Percenter!"  (Only four percent of Scouts attain the Eagle rank).

I have participated in over a hundred Eagle Scout Boards of Review; three last week, with a Joint Court of Honor this weekend for the "freshly-hatched Eagles."

I encourage everyone who can to sit on at least one Eagle review board.  This has to be one of the most gratifying experiences associated with Scouting.  Seeing these youngsters recap their experiences and speak about their aspirations goes very far toward reaffirming one's faith in the youth of America.  Surprisingly, many think that you have to be a registered Scouter to serve on Eagle boards.  Not so.  I've recruited a variety of professionals, civic leaders, business owners, and "just plain folk."  To a person they have been impressed and appreciative. 

So MP, how old is Grandson #2?  What was the young man's project?  Has he earned any palms...?   cowboy.gif

1536458358_EagleChallengeCoin1.jpg.5f2875142f27a916ce6af57f1ac32077.jpg

Outstanding!

Most of the men in our Medieval re-enactment group are eagles, and good men and true they are!

Your OA sash is over the wrong shoulder.

(Congrats on the Eagle)

Sixgun Seamus 

aka Achpamsin - Vigil Honor 1974

Sipp-O Lodge #377

Earned mine in 2005. Troop 301 out of Fresno, CA. At my Court of Honor, I was joined by 5 other members of my patrol, the Black Dragons, and 1 member from another patrol for a total of 7 getting their Eagle. To this day it is my proudest accomplishment. 

Eagles and, even higher, Sea Scout Quartermaster, Silly Billy 55550 and Dirty Dog Dave 55551.  Dirty Dog Dave also earned Explorer G.O.L.D. and Venturing Silver.  I am an Air Scout Ace.

Now, Eagle is also co-ed.

This past year, I taught 50+ OA Scouts single action revolver shooting at CAS targets. We also had a CAS event for Scouts this summer.

The Salt Lake Council has around 600 kids shooting CAS.

The military awards Eagles E-2 and Quartermasters E-3 in boot camp.

17 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

So MP, how old is Grandson #2?  What was the young man's project?  Has he earned any palms...?   cowboy.gif

He's 18.  He built a band shell on campus at Durham (NC) School of the Arts.  Bronze Palm.

Grandson #1 also earned Eagle at 18.  He built an irrigation system for the landscaping at his grammar school.  Don't know about palms.

Their "other" grand dad earned Eagle the year I was born.  He lived to present his badge to GS#1.  He went on to numerous awards & medals in WWII and always said boy scouts made the very best soldiers.  Since GS#1 had his eagle badge, his Granny entrusted Papa's bronze star to GS#2.  Everybody cried.

Baby Girl (the Mother of Eagles) has been a troop leader in at least three countries.  She currently leads Durham (NC)'s Troop 456 - comprised of girls who want to do real scout stuff. 

Don't know how y'all feel about this but Westminster Presbyt Church and Troop 451 have been most welcoming.  451's scoutmaster said (at the honor court) he always likes to have female troop leaders because, if you don't have women, it doesn't work - that's a direct quote.  451 has an outstanding number of Eagles (over 200) due in part to the Badger Squad - a group of Eagle mothers who won't take no for an answer.

Earned mine in 1976.     My Eagle project was making the Awards for the 200+ Handicap Scouts Jamboree in Idyllwild, Ca.

Also Order of the Arrow, and GOD & Country Award.  My chaperone to my Eagle Scout Award banquet was the CEO of Delco Batteries in Anaheim,  California, (who I discovered went to high school with my mother in Kansas City, Mo in 1951.)

On my honor I will do my best To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; To help other people at all times; To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight. 

I have been a Scout and a leader since WW II. IMHO, there wouldn't be any Scouts if it weren't for the ladies!!!  :D

I had the privilege of attending a Court of Honor just last night for three new Eagles.  A wonderful celebration, but for me sort of bittersweet; probably the last of many Eagles from a local LDS troop.  :(

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

probably the last of many Eagles from a local LDS troop.  :(

Why?

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I had the privilege of attending a Court of Honor just last night for three new Eagles.  A wonderful celebration, but for me sort of bittersweet; probably the last of many Eagles from a local LDS troop.  :(

10 minutes ago, MizPete said:

Why?

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has been a major partner with the Boy Scouts of America since 1913 - and the largest chartering organization.  Nationwide, LDS youth comprised about 20% of all Scouts (over 40% in this area).

Effective January 01 the Church has terminated the relationship with BSA, ostensibly in favor of promoting a new, internal youth program.

Over the past six months there has been a tremendous push within LDS troops for senior ranking Scouts to earn their Eagle rank before the December 31 "deadline."  As of January 01, 2020, all LDS troops ceased to exist, unless re-chartered with another sponsor.

Individual Scouts are encouraged to continue, either joining a "traditional" troop or even forming new troops.  There's been a tremendous amount of dialogue about these "opportunities."  I hope it happens; many of the most dedicated Scouters I know are LDS.  Sadly, though, I have not yet personally seen anything come of these discussions.  Perhaps the reality has not yet hit; there were some pretty serious looking private discussions at last night's event.

16 minutes ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

Unfortunately the BSA is likely done for. a shame really....

Not hardly!  More "downer" news coming, I'm sure, but there are LOTS of good things going on in Scouting. 

The biggest problem is the media's love of attacking anything that's wholesome, family value oriented, or remotely conservative.  

The second biggest problem is a shortage of volunteers.  I'm going to quote the late Lt Col Leonard Frame:  "Everyone is willing.  Everyone!  There are those few who are willing to do what needs to be done, and everyone else who are willing to let them."

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

the Church has terminated the relationship with BSA

2 hours ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

Unfortunately the BSA is likely done for. a shame really....

C'mon guys; this is really about the girls, isn't it?  That would be a major shame. 

I was privileged to go on several scout trips with the boys' troops while in London; in England, where scouting began, they don't have boy and girl scouts - just scouts.

I have to admit:  my Dad would never in a million years allowed me to participate in a coed troop after the age of (about) 10.

I am hoping America can work this out so that everyone can benefit from all the good things that come from scouting.  It has given so much to our family.

My father earned his Eagle rank in the 1930s.  My grandson is fascinated with his award.  I was a disappointment as a scout, quit as a Second Class.  Our troop sucked, unfortunately, and soured me for a while.  I wish I could have had a scoutmaster like Hardpan Curmudgeon; I might have grown up differently.

B76F5497-8779-44B1-9256-209AEAB8EA81.thumb.jpeg.d8f0684ecb0cd06d2c59ea850250a6ea.jpeg

I have been a Sea Scout officer, skipper and commodore, since the 1960s. Sea Scouts has been effectively co-ed since the 1920s. My time on the National Sea Scout Committee was serving with a lady National Commodore. IMHO, she was the most effective ever in that role. :)

My own mother was an unregistered Den Mother before BSA made them official, during WW II. Dens were SUPPOSED to be run by the Den Chiefs. What a joke!!! :P

As a leader and commissioner, I have found that women have been some of my most inspired, capable and effective  leaders.

As an Idahoan, the new LDS policy has had a deleterious effect. So far, I have only had a few adults remaining with the BSA. However, the new program has not yet been fleshed out and, it appears, is really designed to be an international one.

My son, Dirty Dog Dave 55551 L received his Masters in Finance and became a CPA. He told me after that he didn't like accounting but he could sue accountants. He went to law school. When he graduated, the economy was in shambles and he couldn't get a job. Finally he found one. At a trap shoot, he asked the senior partner why he had been chosen out of the dozens of applicants. The partner told him that he had looked though them all and discarded the ones that weren't Eagle Scouts. That left my son!!!!   :D

That's an example for the youth that earning Eagle Scout is very valuable!!:lol:

Ah, Girls.  "The Elephant In the Room."

I'm amazed at some of the absurd things I've heard from people about "girls in Scouting."

Here are some points I share with them:

• Regarding Cub Scouts, Cub activities long ago became family events.  A large number of Cub Scouts have sisters who are always invited to participate in activities, including things like Pinewood Derbies.  Finally letting them join was just a natural thing to do.
  • "Girls" have been involved in Scouting for many decades.  Venture, Varsity, and Explorer Scout units have long had the option of being co-ed.
  • We've had women Scoutmasters since the 70's.
  • There are NO co-ed TROOPS!  The girls have their own troops; they may participate in joint events, but the actual units are discrete by gender.
  • The vast majority of Scouts themselves had no issues with girls joining.  
  • And finally... there are 38 million scouts in something like 170+ countries and territories.  Of these, only thirteen restrict girls from their programs; this list includes countries like Bahrain, Barbados, Yemen, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia... and, until recently, the United States.

We had our Council's first Girl troops participate in a Camporee this summer.  Most - but not all! - were really surprised when they took all the honors.  Same at summer camp!  ^_^

Archived