SASS Wire Forum

Colt parts and Pietta?

Ridge

Thanks Captain.

the reason I’m asking I’m considering selling my Uberti and buying a Pietta since Uberti will no longer be selling the old hammers and if my Hammer ever needs to be replaced I’ll have to go to the new RFP (retractable firing pin) system Uberti is forcing on their importers.  I bought a clone because I’m not in a position to spend $$$$$$$ on a Colt or even a Standard Manufacturing.  If I wanted a safety I’dev gone the whole way and SETTLED on a Ruger.  I bought the revolver a couple of years ago unaware that moving forward Uberti was discontinuing the old hammers and since my Uberti is a Taylor’s Runnin Iron it makes an OWM replacement part harder to find.  UGH!!

You’re welcome! I can’t keep up with the variations and changes going on with cowboy pistols.

Just as an FYI, it’s not too hard to eliminate the tbar in a Ruger.  If I were starting over I would give serious consideration to a pair of Ruger Single Sixes in .32 H&R and have the tbars removed, the hammers welded up, and a half cock conversion.

That would be pretty close to the weight and feel of a Colt, but cheaper and built to last a long long time.

I'd suggest keeping the Uberti and just shoot until the hammer does need replacing, which might be NEVER. If you sell it you are likely to lose quite a bit of money and in my opinion for no reason. If you do ever have to replace your hammer the safety features of the new hammer/trigger combo from Uberti is pretty easy to overcome.

That said I do recommend buying a Pietta for your next SAA clone purchase.

just my dos centavos.

I appreciate it Tyrel.  I like my Stainless Runnin Iron. It’s custom tuned and smooth as silk and accurate.  And I’m in no hurry for another one and my next one will hopefully be a Colt ;)  Eventually...

I'm of the mind that if there becomes a need, the aftermarket might provide.

Sort a like your thread on someone making new hammers and whatnot.

Personally, I'd like to see "Runnin Iron" hammers available.

It’s a really nice weapon, it points nice, mechanically it’s simple as a brick on the inside and your right, time will tell.  I honestly see an aftermarket for this and all clones and it’s even possible Uberti will have enough pressure from their importers and customers like us that they’ll start producing the regular floating firing pin hammers again.  I stand by my opinion when I said that the RFP system is a good one in the context of production and liability costs, balanced with keeping the traditional look, I just don’t understand why it’s forced. Uberti had a safety system (sort of) for the last 20+ years and offered both through Taylor’s and Cimarron.  Pietta has the transfer bar system available and they’re not forcing that system. As someone wisely started in another post, “no one demanded this new system,“ at least from cowboy action shooters and history buffs; especially the higher end stuff they offer.  I imagine most people that spend that kind of money on specific finishes and “look” know about loading five beans in the wheel.  It’s a problem looking for a solution.

I really like both my Cimarron Model Ps even though one is a "3 click". (I've sniveled about it enough, here. We'll just let that dog lay for now.)

My big concern is waiting for a positive response from Uberti will be like waiting for Rossi to reintroduce octagon barrel 92s.

By the way, I handled a GWII the other day at the store and it felt real good in my mitt. If it was a 357, it might have made my next ten day wait list.

Although, back up guns in .45 could be fun.... :D

Well, we’ll see what they will do, I’m sure Uberti’s been getting a lot of flack from people who have way more influence with them than I will ever have.

Yeah I’ve heard those GWIIs are nice revolvers and I love my .45  tons of fun and I use my RI as a guide gun.

Archived