SASS Wire Forum

Cataract surgery and recoil

Trailrider #896

Looks like I'm facing cataract surgery in the near future! :(  I've known I've had them, especially in the left eye, but up until a few months ago it hasn't been a problem.  Now, however, my left eye has gotten pretty fuzzy, which is distracting, especially reading and driving at night with oncoming headlights.  I haven't decided who will do it, and don't know if any of the doctors are shooters.

My question for any of you who have had it done, and/or any opthalmalogists  who shoot is, after a period of healing, can one tolerate the recoil of a 12 ga with Low Noise Low Recoil loads, or big bore rifles of .30-06?  How about .44-40's from a Rossi '92?  Or am I done rifle shooting altogether? :unsure::(  Appreciate any input, Pards.

I am currently talking and testing for cataract surgery with doctors at the VA.

It is no longer a cut flap on the eye.

It is basically a local anesthetic.

The cataract is removed with an inserted needle then replaced with a second needle.

Takes abut 10 minutes if all goes right.

Me, I was on the OR table and the anesthesiologist stopped and canceled the surgery.

Sent me back to my primary doctor to correct other issues before continuing.

Primary still working on me twice a week.

Getting close to the numbers that surgery wants.

I did not ask about when I could shoot again.

It did not sound like it would be long.

1 hour ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Looks like I'm facing cataract surgery in the near future! :(  I've known I've had them, especially in the left eye, but up until a few months ago it hasn't been a problem.  Now, however, my left eye has gotten pretty fuzzy, which is distracting, especially reading and driving at night with oncoming headlights.  I haven't decided who will do it, and don't know if any of the doctors are shooters.

My question for any of you who have had it done, and/or any opthalmalogists  who shoot is, after a period of healing, can one tolerate the recoil of a 12 ga with Low Noise Low Recoil loads, or big bore rifles of .30-06?  How about .44-40's from a Rossi '92?  Or am I done rifle shooting altogether? :unsure::(  Appreciate any input, Pards.

I've had no problems whatsoever with shooting after cataract surgery in both eyes, or even after surgery for a retinal detachment.  Remington STS for SxS and .38-40s.  I haven't had an opportunity to shoot .45-70 or .303 yet.  As always, consult your eye doctor... but there are a whole lot of us out there shooting post-cataract procedures.

@Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217,

Here's a doctor's excuse you can use.

Just glad I could help. ;)

image.thumb.png.01552fc9959bb63e259ae4df23efe73d.png     

Much obliged!  Of course I will consult with the eye doc.  I'm actually due for my annual retina checks later this month, but he doesn't do cataracts.  Try to get a recommendation for one from him.  At least it's one less thing to worry about.  Thanks, again!

22 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

@Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217,

Here's a doctor's excuse you can use.

Just glad I could help. ;)

image.thumb.png.01552fc9959bb63e259ae4df23efe73d.png     

BTW I got three jury duty postponements due to surgery. They didn't even require a doctor's note.

Modern cataract surgery in ordinary cases takes a few minutes. They liquify and remove the old lens and put in a plastic lens of a Fresnel-type which unfolds nicely. Wear an eye protector overnight. All done.

No affect on shooting whatever thereafter.

All I can add, whoever you choose, ask them to thoroughly sedate you.  It ain’t no fun when you’re wide awake and someone is slashing around in your eye.

Call me chicken but I found another doc for my other eye.

9 hours ago, McCandless said:

I've had no problems whatsoever with shooting after cataract surgery in both eyes, or even after surgery for a retinal detachment.  Remington STS for SxS and .38-40s.  I haven't had an opportunity to shoot .45-70 or .303 yet.  As always, consult your eye doctor... but there are a whole lot of us out there shooting post-cataract procedures.

Had both eyes done almost 25 years ago.  No problems whatsoever.  12 ga. , .45-70, .44-40, .45-60, and many more.

The technology has advanced a heap since then and it surely is better now.

24 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

^_^ What happens if I drop the soap in the shower? :o:rolleyes:

Get some soap on a rope pre-op.

I had both eyes done and continued to shoot my warthog loads of Holy Black from my .45 revolvers, rifle amd 10 gauge 3-1/2" double. I am just fine!!!;)

Pulp, I am not ABOUT to call you chicken for that, I call you a wise man instead!

Forty Rod, thank you for your first hand report, I'm looking at that very surgery in my own future and am following this thread with interest!

I had both eyes done 2 years ago, two weeks apart. Next day after the first one the technician takes the patch off and says read the chart. I tell her the postage stamp sized label on the bottom corner of the chart says"do not clean". 20-20 for distance. I still need correction for up close and at the loading table, checking revolvers. I found some yellow safety/readers at Wally World to shoot in and vision can no longer be used as an excuse for poor shooting. I have shot up to .44 Mag and .223 with no issues. I only missed one monthly match , as a precaution. No problems with 12ga cowboy loads. Hope you have as good of results.

Imis

I've had both eyes done and no longer need glasses for distance. Do need them for reading and up close work. I now shoot with plain shooting glasses with small bifocal areas that help at the loading table and reading to score. NO issues at all with recoil.

Archived