SASS Wire Forum

Elder Statesman Duelist

Rye Miles #13621

I'm 72, do we need to add Elder Statesman Duelist? I'm shooting with all those young 'uns in Silver Senior Duelist!:P

17 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I thought that was already one of the 876 categories already in the books?

Its It's definitely offered at TN State.

I think there's actually 877!!:P

I know I can shoot it locally and at 3 day shoots but not sure about higher than that. Good for Tn state!!;)

4 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I think there's actually 877!!:P

I know I can shoot it locally and at 3 day shoots but not sure about higher than that. Good for Tn state!!;)

Was a category at the Southeast Regional too.

SHOOTING STYLE CATEGORIES

Shooting Style categories allow participants to compete with others utilizing the same shooting style (e.g., shooting revolvers one-handed instead of two-handed).  In addition, every shooting style can also be subdivided by gender, age, and propellant depending on demand and sanctioning category mandates

SHB p.6. 

9 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

SHB p.6. 

I read that also but I wasn't sure if that would apply to State shoots and above. I guess it depends on how many sign up. If I'm the only one at a local club I'll go to another category, I'm not interested in beating myself!:lol:

3 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Too many categories already.

When there are 500+ shooters at a match and you have multiple 1st place category winners who finished 400+ overall....

I don’t mean to insult anyone, but really?

I bet EOT had close to 50 categories last year.

I agree, we should get rid of Buckaroo, Young Gun, Wrangler, Cowboy, 49er,  Senior, Silver Senior, etc. and only have shooting style, dress, and BP categories; no age groups...

I'm not serious.

20 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I agree, we should get rid of Buckaroo, Young Gun, Wrangler, Cowboy, 49er,  Senior, Silver Senior, etc. and only have shooting style, dress, and BP categories; no age groups...

I'm not serious.

Lol! I am!

I would get rid of 49er and move Wrangler up to 45-65, move Senior to 66, eliminate any category based on what you’re wearing or what guns you choose to shoot, basically have fewer age groups, and have mainly propellant type, gender, caliber and shooting style categories.

I may be a ‘wet behind ears pup’ (thanks Rye, at 56 I love that description) but age isn’t what is keeping me from beating young guys like Sidekick and Matt, they’re just a hell of a lot better than I am.

PS

Don’t get me wrong, this subject doesn’t keep me up at night, but it does seem like we’re steadily moving towards participation awards.

10 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

but it does seem like we’re steadily moving towards participation awards.

it sure seems that way. But the horses are out of the barn so to speak.

The best way to get this category at club level was to contact the Officers of the club to get Elder Statesman Category added at the club level.

I made contact with Tex at SASS and to get this started was at the club level. And in doing so The Arizona Cowboy Shooters Assn initiated this category and so did some other clubs. This was done some years ago. Talk with club members about this category and try to get something going.

Jackrabbit Joe #414

I am partial to Grand Patron black powder gunfighter!!!  :D I just like to shoot with pards that have so many diuretic pills that no one cares if we need to take a break fairly regularly to pee. I don't care if Gunfighter is broken out of Grand Patron as long as I don't get a match DQ for using it. I am a bit long in the tooth to try to change after the years to the the draw one gun, holster it and draw another style. :angry:

Personally, I don't GAD about prizes and trophies I am just thrilled at being able to keep shooting CAS. ;) 

It's fun to shoot with other "experienced" pards but see no reason that I should be penalized for shooting Gunfighter at my age.  :wub:

22 minutes ago, Attica Jack #23953 said:

I agree there are TOO many categories now.   Just have to go with the flow.  Wild Bunch two categories....nice.

Then they add regular-   senior and ladies   Already up to 6      GW

13 minutes ago, Attica Jack #23953 said:

Kind of off the original post, but....why do we have separate men and women categories?

We don't.

We have open categories open to anyone and ladies categories.

SHB pg 5

All SASS categories may be subdivided by gender to establish categories for ladies. There are no men’s categories.

48 minutes ago, Attica Jack #23953 said:

I agree there are TOO many categories now.   Just have to go with the flow.  Wild Bunch two categories....nice.

WBAS has at least 4 categories offered.

WBAS makes provisions for age-based categories just like CAS.

WBASHB pg 16

RECOGNIZED AND ADDITIONAL CATEGORIES

Four Categories are always offered: Traditional and Modern (for men and boys only), and Lady Modern and Lady Traditional. If there are enough shooters and demand warrants it, age based categories such as seniors may be offered.

REQUIREMENTS FOR A SENIOR CATEGORY

•The primary Category must have a minimum of 10 shooters. For instance, Traditional must have 10 shooters before a Senior Traditional category can be added.

•A Senior category must have a minimum of five shooters.

•The age requirement is 65 and above.

Yes, WBAS segregates the boys from the girls.  Wouldn't want those boys to get their ittie bittie feelings hurt when they get beat by a girl.

Ryel

There was ESD and ESFCD at EOT in 2019. Hopefully again in 2020.

Another congratulations to Tumbleweed Dan for being ESD World Champion in 2019.

1 minute ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Ryel

There was ESD and ESFCD at EOT in 2019. Hopefully again in 2020.

Another congratulations to Tumbleweed Dan for being ESD World Champion in 2019.

I did not know that! Guess I'm a little behind on the categories!:blush:

Well of course you should have your own category.  It’s actually disgusting that matches don’t offer custom categories.   Entry forms should have spaces for the contestant to name their category.  Twenty of twenty five blanks should be provided on the entry form to write in your preferred category names. Duplicated category names then would be handled in a first come first served fashion.  The contestant should also be able to choose between small, medium, large or extra-large trophies.  This is easily accomplished by simply adding a small premium to the entry cost.  $50 for small, $75 for medium, $100 for large and $150 for extra-large as well as $50 for custom engraving.  Engraving would of course include your name and chosen category in extra-large bold type.  You could also include at no extra cost your desired score.  Actual attendance would be optional for a small handling fee over night or next day delivery of your trophy or trophies could be arranged. Because you can choose your own score and you don’t really have to attend perhaps it would be necessary to place an asterisk after the names and scores of those that went through the laborious routine of actually attending and using an outmoded and unrealistic category.  Of course your mileage may vary.        :lol:

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I did not know that! Guess I'm a little behind on the categories!:blush:

EOT is good about offering categories per given number of entries per that category. Example, there was not enough entries to have a SFCD or SSFCD so those two were combined as the combination met needed quota, FCD and ESFCD met quota individually. SFCD and SSFCD were categorized as SFCD. Straight Arrow winning FCD and Stone Creek Drifter SFCD. 

Many do not like the addition of categories but I happen to be one who does per your suggested reasoning. I personally feel attentance to some of the larger shoots is financed much by those who can travel, that majority often is retired/semi-retired folks of our age.  

I understand wanting to win.  And at 82, I understand that I can’t run with the young guys any more.   BUT, why do we have to have a new age group category for each FIVE YEARS?  I wish that SASS would consider reducing the age group categories to TEN YEAR increments after age 60.

If I really had my druthers though, I wouldn’t have age categories at all.  I would rather have skill based categories similar to those used in several other shooting sports.  I think about four skill based categories would be enough.  Call them what you want but the description would be:

1. Entry level

2.  Comfortable with gun handling and understands the rules and shooting sequences.

3.  Getting pretty good and is competitive with most folks.

4.  The really good guys.  (Every Club seems to have some and they know who they are.)

1 hour ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

I understand wanting to win.  And at 82, I understand that I can’t run with the young guys any more.   BUT, why do we have to have a new age group category for each FIVE YEARS?  I wish that SASS would consider reducing the age group categories to TEN YEAR increments after age 60.

If I really had my druthers though, I wouldn’t have age categories at all.  I would rather have skill based categories similar to those used in several other shooting sports.  I think about four skill based categories would be enough.  Call them what you want but the description would be:

1. Entry level

2.  Comfortable with gun handling and understands the rules and shooting sequences.

3.  Getting pretty good and is competitive with most folks.

4.  The really good guys.  (Every Club seems to have some and they know who they are.)

Several of our local clubs offer Shootist, which is intended for folks who fall into your categories 3 and 4.

17 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

What about the "Used to be not-so-bad but now I'm broken" category?

Bet we'd fill that one right up! :P

That would be a retreat to #2, voluntarily of course.

Archived