SASS Wire Forum

*** 5th Annual Lazy Arrow ShootOut - video ***

Roger Rapid

Dear Cowboy Action Shooter…

The Pozo River Vigilance Committee (PRVC) is excited to present the debut of  The Wild West .... one year later
our 4.8-minute video announcing the 5th Annual Lazy Arrow ShootOut, May 22-24, 2020 in our Wild West camp on the beautiful 32,000-acre Camatta Ranch in Santa Margarita, CA. 

And, if you hang in there after the credits, you can enjoy our “Behind the Scenes” and “Bloopers” segments.

To learn more about the match, please CLICK HERE or visit: www.PRVCatLazyArrow.com and click on the “Our Annual Match” tab. There you will find a downloadable Registration form (PDF), promotional flier, and information about our side matches, schedule of events, camping, and more.  (There are significant savings if you register before April 1, 2020.)

It's going to be one heck of a fun match - please mark your calendars now for May 22-24 and come shoot with us!

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you need more info:  roger(at)siminoff.net

Roger Rapid & Dust ‘N Bottles
Match Co-Directors

I didn’t know we had such talented actors in our club! (Make that characters!) lol

There ARE some very talented people involved here, in many ways. Makes me wish (again) that I was able to shoot again.

Mad Dog Jack... 

And please know that there are a ton of us wishing that you could shoot with us again. Somehow you are: you are always in our hearts and minds at every match!!!

RR

On 1/2/2020 at 4:15 PM, Canton Chris said:

I didn’t know we had such talented actors in our club! (Make that characters!) lol

Yup, a bunch of characters for sure! And a whole cast of characters at PRVC have been working and planning to make this 5th annual the best ever! So save the date and get your registration in early! 

One of our club members who saw the “Behind The Scenes” segment (a few seconds after the credits), asked me if we were dropping sand in front of the blower to get the dust effect. Sand would be a bit dangerous for the actors and equipment and would require a very powerful blower. Mike - who did our effects - was dropping handfuls of sawdust. :)

Got a PM asking if our range was a public range or private, and where we were. PRVC is a private CAS range with our own Wild West "camp" in a beautiful canyon on the 32,000 acre Camatta Ranch in Santa Margarita, CA. The Camatta Ranch is a working cattle ranch that also raises exotic animals (you pass by their pens as you enter the ranch). The owner of the ranch is our Sheriff - Mountain Man Mark - (and he's VERY dedicated to our club) and he "collects" (not "raises") North American Bison - which you also might see as you enter the ranch. We're about 40 miles inland from the Pacific Ocean, north of the city of San Luis Obispo - about halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco (about 40 miles from CVR if you've been to the SASS Western Regional). We have 13 dedicated Bays with 6' dirt berms between each Bay, and our Long Range Bay - "Fort Morrison" - features targets from 100y to 1,300y. Camping is immediately adjacent to our "camp" and we can easily take 125-150 trailers. Campsite features hot showers and flush toilets (our range also has a flush toilet). The cool thing is that Frank and Jesse James uncle, Drury Woodson James, had a cabin about 3/4 of a mile from the Camatta Ranch and it is altogether possible - more like "probable" - that Frank and/or Jessie rode along Camatta Creek Road which goes right between our "camp" and the camping area.

PS: When we were first looking for a place on the ranch to build our range, I asked Mountain Man Mark "what would happen if a round went over the hill behind our stages?" - our back-berm so to speak - and he said "if it's a cowboy load, it will still land safely on the ranch!"

Come enjoy this beautiful piece of Mother Nature with us!

RR

Another interesting tidbit is the San Luis Obispo Committee of Vigilance has ridden through those same hills in search of gangs of outlaws who committed atrocities in the North County. 

The Pio Linares and Jack Powers Gang were among those who had rewards issued for their arrest by then Governor John B. Weller for murders of two Basque men near present day San Miguel, for the robbery and murders of two Frenchmen at El Rancho San Juan Capistrano del Camote (locally called the French Camp Murders) as well as the abduction of one man's wife, and in the killing of a local hunter camped along Camatta Creek named Gilkey.  The murder of Gilkey and French Camp murders, robbery, and kidnapping happened within an hour's horseback ride from the Camatta Ranch homestead.

The following is a copy of the reward order from Governor Weller

$2,500 REWARD.

WHEREAS, IT IS REPRESENTED To me by the citizens of San Luis Obispo that several atrocious murders and robberies have recently been perpetrated at San Miguel, San Juan de Capistrano, and Camate; and that upon the oath, of respectable men, these crimes have been charged upon the following persons, who are still at large, viz:

JACK POWERS, an Irishman, and generally known as a gambler.

PIO LINARES, is a native of this country, has a slightly dark complexion, is slender, has large sleepy eyes, and without beard.

EL HUERO (light or empty headed) RAFEAL is tall, slender, and quite handsome, with a light mustache.

MIGUEL BLANCO, is also of this country; of low stature, about 20 years of age, is handsome very fair, with a bold face and without beard.

DISEDERIO GRIZALYA, is small and slender, has somewhat dark complexion, large eyes, half open like the eyes of a cat, has no beard and is jovial and pleasant in his manners.

JESUS VALENZUELA, is slender; brother to Joaquin Valenzuela; one of the five Joaquins, and is also called Jesus Chiquito.

NIEVES ROBLES alias FLORIAN SERVIN has a round face, somewhat dark complexion is small, and about 23 years of age.

LUCIANO, El Mestino, or Herdsman, is a hunter of the Tulares.

Now, therefore, by virtue of the power vested in me, by Constitution and laws of this State I hereby offer the following REWARDS for their arrest and conviction:

For JACK POWERS, Five Hundred Dollars

For PIO LINARES. Five Hundred Dollars

For RAFEAL MONEY, alias RAFEAL HENADA. alias EL HUERO RAFEAL, Five Hundred Dollars.

For MIGUEL BLANCO, Two Hundred Dollars.

For DESEDERIO GRIZALVA, Two Hundred Dollars.

For NIEYES ROBLES, Two Hundred Dollars.

For JESUS VALENZUELA, alias JESUS CHIQUITO, Two Hundred Dollars.

For LUCIANO, El Mestino, Two Hundred Dollars.

Done at Sacramento, California, this 31st day of May, A. D., One Thousand Eight Hundred and Fifty-Eight. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand, and affixed the Great Seal of the State. JOHN B. WELLER. Attest: Ferris Forman, Secretary of State.

It's also known to locals that Joaquin Murrietta had frequented the north county area before his death at Arroyo Cantua north of present day Coalinga some 70 miles north of the ranch.

It's also been suggested that Tiburcio Vasquez likely traveled through SLO County on his way between Tres Pinos, Vasquez Rocks, and the Robbers Roost in Kern County during some of his escapades.

This is true Outlaw Country folks

Archived