SASS Wire Forum

Words of Wisdom

Tequila Shooter

We've all heard the usual words of wisdom, apple a day, a penny wise, etc.  What about unusual ones, my Dad had one he used on me all the time "Put your mind in gear before you put your mouth in motion", wish that one would've stuck.  Got one you'd like to share?

Dad Wisdom;

Because he was a superintendent for housing construction he based his wisdom on what he knew.

'Watch the guy who's above you, learn his job and do it better, you'll go far'. I did and I did.

'Get to work early, get your tools out, and always start work ready to do the job'.

'Work hard, do excellent work, and listen to your boss. You'll never have to ask for a raise.' In 55 years of working I never once asked for a raise or promotion and I got them.

Ike

Best one of my Dad's: Work with your head and not your feet.

:ph34r:  From my machinist Dad:  Always get a good light on it.  You can't do neat work in a messy area. Use the RIGHT tool for the job.  Nothing good happens after midnight.

Mother describing what to her was a mismatched couple:  Never a pot so crooked that you can't find a lid to fit it.   And a favorite for motivating us kids to get a project finished:   Make hay while the sun shines.

Be on time every time. 

If you aren’t part of the solution you are probably part of the problem. 

Idiots abound. 

Treat others the way you wish to be treated. 

Be yourself. Be an individual. 

From my Dad:

”Boy, if you had a brain in your head it would like like a BB in a boxcar!”

If you’re not 15 minutes early, you’re late.

Every room has an idiot in it, if you can’t find them in 5 minutes it’s probably you.

11 hours ago, Owen No One said:

If you’re not 15 minutes early, you’re late.

Every room has an idiot in it, if you can’t find them in 5 minutes it’s probably you.

In the Navy I used to tell the junior Sailors  "If you're early you're on time, if you're on time you're late, and if you're late you're UA".

In the Navy I told guys that told me that I was late if I showed up on time that they need to prove their theory to me by showing up early for Mid-Watches...that usually shut them up. ;):P

From my best friend's father: "If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway."

When lifting heavy things: Put all the weight on the small of your back and lift with a jerking, twisting motion.

My dad was a salesman and I told him I didn't need to learn sales because I didn't wanna do that. He explained to me that you are always selling something. If you don't have a product then you're selling yourself. Not just in business either but even in dating or making friends. Boy was he right. 

He also always liked to say "the older you get, the smarter i was. " Meaning that as I get smarter I eventually figure out that he was right about ... well everything. 

Maybe he wasn't right about everything but I don't seem to recall any of the stuff he was wrong on. 

3 hours ago, Tall Tale Todd said:

From my best friend's father: "If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway."

When lifting heavy things: Put all the weight on the small of your back and lift with a jerking, twisting motion.

That's how it works setting targets!  ^_^

Hey "Triple T," are ya home?  :)

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

That's how it works setting targets!  ^_^

Hey "Triple T," are ya home?  :)

Hardpan, I am indeed home from the war. Got back 30 October. We going to see you at some shoots pretty soon?

6 minutes ago, Tall Tale Todd said:

Hardpan, I am indeed home from the war. Got back 30 October. We going to see you at some shoots pretty soon?

Well Shux!  I reckon I'll have to!  ^_^

But Welcome Back~!    :FlagAm:

Pop said "Never believe your own BS."  Some politicians didn't have that advice.

Also, he said "In time of trouble, look to yourself for help".   This has been proven over and over again.

STL Suomi

My Dad told us "Change is inevitable, get used to it and deal with it." Also, "I'd rather be lucky than smart". :)

He was an investment banker like me, my grandfather and namesake great grandfather so he liked the first. ^_^

The second was emphasized as a gunnery officer on a destroyer that was hit three times by kamikazies in the South Pacific. I echo that as a Marine!  ;)

He was a good hunter, a great shooter and a halfway decent rider. I miss him.  :(

From my Mama:  it doesn't cost you a thing to be kind.

Pretty is, as pretty does.

Never try to teach a pig to sing, It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

One of my favorites

Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.

Archived