SASS Wire Forum

New Colt Python

Rye Miles #13621

I have seen speculation of around $2000. But that is pure speculation. There is nothing online about prices yet, at least not by anyone that knows anything. 

Still can’t hardly find a King Cobra target model in stock for dealer to order...so guessing these will be the same.  When in stock I would guess it dealer “cost” or order price if you believe it will be around 1,275 based on what I was quoted from FFL on other models. 

I will be in line for one and give the FFL the go ahead if he finds one for around that and send it my way :)  wanted one for years....couldn’t justify the cost....in 2010 when I started looking could get for around 800-1000.... now triple that or more and I think this brings the prices in vintage ones back down pretty quick.  However, I think of Winchester and how nice the new Miroku ones are....frankly i would rather have that than some of the older ones and I’m hoping for the same here....

I want a 4.25" one.  Maybe then a 6" as well.

The explanation for no blue one is the prohibitive cost for the polishing and bluing process.  

27 minutes ago, Smiling Wolf said:

Any idea of how much?

$1499.00 MSRP

12 minutes ago, Tequila Chase said:

Does that mean that Clint Eastwood is going to do a new Dirty Harry movie??

Lucky Punk?

He didn't use a Python, he used a S&W Model 29 in .44 mag.

8 minutes ago, JD Lud said:

Still can’t hardly find a King Cobra target model in stock for dealer to order...so guessing these will be the same.  When in stock I would guess it dealer “cost” or order price if you believe it will be around 1,275 based on what I was quoted from FFL on other models. 

I will be in line for one and give the FFL the go ahead if he finds one for around that and send it my way :)  wanted one for years....couldn’t justify the cost....in 2010 when I started looking could get for around 800-1000.... now triple that or more and I think this brings the prices in vintage ones back down pretty quick.  However, I think of Winchester and how nice the new Miroku ones are....frankly i would rather have that than some of the older ones and I’m hoping for the same here....

All the gun shops around here have a bunch of Cobras and King Cobras. I have not seen the Target Model either.

Just now, Tequila Chase said:

Can't he change with the times??

.44 mag is too much for him now, he's 86 yrs old!!! Maybe he should use a Python in .357 and shoot .38's!!:P

30 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have seen speculation of around $2000. But that is pure speculation. There is nothing online about prices yet, at least not by anyone that knows anything. 

https://www.colt.com/series/PYTHON_SERIES

The MSR is $1499.  Which means eventually, they'll probably settle in at just north of a grand.  Not bad when you consider the comparable S&W 686 with the much hated locks are around $750-800.  

3 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

The MSR is $1499.  Which means eventually, they'll probably settle in at just north of a grand.  Not bad when you consider the comparable S&W 686 with the much hated locks are around $750-800.  

I was kind of thinking the same thing, after the initial rollout and scalping stage for those who need to be first to buy. If I could scrape up the cash, I would certainly consider one. I wonder what this will do to the market for older Pythons, and those who have been paying big prices for them.

1 minute ago, DocWard said:

I was kind of thinking the same thing, after the initial rollout and scalping stage for those who need to be first to buy. If I could scrape up the cash, I would certainly consider one. I wonder what this will do to the market for older Pythons, and those who have been paying big prices for them.

The original Pythons are going to continue to be collectors items.  This new one is different enough that I don't see it affecting that.  

2 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Yea and my luck is I just bought an unfired 1993 Python from a pard that passed away. I paid more than $1499.00!!!

It is a great shooting gun though, smooth as silk action, nice trigger and waaaay more accurate than I am!!;)

The Python was the second prettiest revolver ever made however it really needed modernization the original was just to finicky. You either got a good one or you got junk and most of the late production guns were junk. I hope that Colt got it right now it’s a beautiful gun beats the hell out of the fantastic plastic that is so prevalent now 

2 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

The Python was the second prettiest revolver ever made however it really needed modernization the original was just to finicky. You either got a good one or you got junk and most of the late production guns were junk. I hope that Colt got it right now it’s a beautiful gun beats the hell out of the fantastic plastic that is so prevalent now 

HTH,

what did you rank as the 'prettiest' revolver?    Would it have been the Anaconda?

..........Widder

I do think it will significantly effect older Python pricing.  If you wanted a Python you has a very short supply and high demand.   Now you can get one made with technology that has advanced by 75 years and even without any hand made component should* be improved.  People may be hesitant to spend twice as much on a older used one when they can have one that if they do have problems it’s covered.....

Either way, I’ll be buying a new one :)

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

HTH,

what did you rank as the 'prettiest' revolver?    Would it have been the Anaconda?

..........Widder

It’s very subjective but to me the prettiest best handling revolver ever made was the 1851 Navy

Aren’t all the new Colt’s stainless steel now?

I wonder if they’ll offer a blued Python?

They did do a nice job in that stainless though. Smooth, shiny and pretty. :)

My heart is set on another Smith & Wesson...with the dreaded lock...and a Scandium frame and an 8 shot cylinder. ;)  

1 hour ago, Henry T Harrison said:

It’s very subjective but to me the prettiest best handling revolver ever made was the 1851 Navy

I can understand that choice.  It is a very pretty revolver.

Although I don't own one, I've always thought the 4.5" barrel blue Colt SAA was very pretty.

I've also like the 4" S&W model 29 blue.   There is just something about it that cries out..... "load me up,

shoot me and hang on for the ride".

..........Widder

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 6:27 AM, Tequila Chase said:

Can't he change with the times??

If they made a modern Dirty Harry remake they would give him a double-stack Glock 10mm. "I know what you're thinking. Did he fire 2,436 shots or only 2,435?..." <_<

The new Pythons use a similar lockwork to the new King Cobra, which is much simpler than the old Python action. As a matter of fact I believe only the grips will still interchange between the old models and the new ones. It's basically an all-new product but with the same familiar contours on the outside. I agree that they probably won't affect the value of the old ones much, although with any luck they'll help reign in the insanity.

That video kind of sparked my interest in the new Python. The one thing I really disliked about the old ones was the DA "stacking." The video specifically said that was gone on the re-issue. I may just have to risk snake bite by checking one out closer. 

13 hours ago, Doc X said:

That video kind of sparked my interest in the new Python. The one thing I really disliked about the old ones was the DA "stacking." The video specifically said that was gone on the re-issue. I may just have to risk snake bite by checking one out closer. 

They also beefed up the frame some to avoid "stretching" from a full diet of hot .357's!

Looks like a great new revolver option from Colt and I look forward to owning a 4" and 6" one. Wish they had a blued option, and I bet we will see those down the line.

I definitely think the vintage shooter grade Pythons will come down in price. The 99% + collector grade Pythons (especially the blued ones) won't come down in price and may actually go up in value as interest in these revolvers peaks.

Archived