SASS Wire Forum

OT Return of the Python

Rye Miles #13621

50 minutes ago, County Jr said:

I just looked at a brand new Colt AR-15 at Runnings a week ago or so.  When did this stop of sales start, and possibly end?

Late in 2019. GOGGLE will find it for you.

Did you confirm it wasn't NOS?

OLG 

On 1/2/2020 at 2:08 AM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Just remember, Colt stopped selling AR-15 rifles to the public.

That action alone, tells you what Colt really thinks of their customers. <_<

Colt will NOT see a penny from me until they reverse that stupid AR sales policy.

Respectfully,

OLG

If I remember correctly they stopped making them, not selling them. I see Colt brand new AR 15s for sale all the time. They had too much inventory, hence no need to manufacture more until they reduced their stock. As to the new revolvers I plan on buying a King Cobra this year and a Python next year when the frenzy pricing calms down. Would I like to be able to buy originals, sure, but these newer models will suit me just fine. I plan on continuing buying Colts!

9 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

If I remember correctly they stopped making them, not selling them. I see Colt brand new AR 15s for sale all the time. They had too much inventory, hence no need to manufacture more until they reduced their stock. As to the new revolvers I plan on buying a King Cobra this year and a Python next year when the frenzy pricing calms down. Would I like to be able to buy originals, sure, but these newer models will suit me just fine. I plan on continuing buying Colts!

+10000

2 hours ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

GOGGLE will confirm this was done.

OLG 

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

New Old Stock

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/19/business/colt-ar-15.html

The Colt sales ban info can be found with minimal effort.;)

OLG 

With the upmost respect, OLG, I have to respond to this.

The Truth About Guns "broke" this story based on an inter dealer memo from a Colt distributor (RSR), not Colt Mfg. themselves. There is a Colt inter-corporate memo which actually adds clarity to the situation that came out before all of this crap blew up. I can post it when I find it again, but I've been down this rabbit hole when it happened and would rather not. I think it was posted on AR15.com. 

I'm confused as to why you would post a hit piece from the NYT  that was written relying on the expertise of Tim Lytton, who is not a gun industry expert as claimed, but a gun violence researcher at Georgia Law College. He's not even a professor, but I bet you can guess who funds his "research".

I believe TTAG (whatever) walked back their ire about Colt and has even glowed about the recent wheel guns being offered. I've no comment to that.

Perhaps the article from the NRA, might help....

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2019/9/12/the-truth-about-colts-ar-15-production/

"Recently, a story broke regarding an email communication from RSR Group, a firearm distributor that carries Colt firearms, that Colt notified them of its intention to discontinue production of all Colt long guns for the retail market in an effort to “focus on military and law-enforcement demand.”

This news caused many firearm enthusiasts to claim mismanagement on the part of company executives and to claim that Colt hasn’t changed its ways, a reference to popular perception that Colt’s 2015 filing for bankruptcy stemmed from the company’s focus on government contracts at the expense of the consumer market. However, the real story is a simple case of capitalism in action.

“We listen to our customers,” said Paul Spitale, Colt’s senior vice president for commercial business. “The whole basis for our reorganization was consumer feedback.”

Over the last few years, the market for modern sporting rifles has seen a significant decline in demand, leading to some of the lowest prices ever seen for new-in-box AR-15s.

“What’s true today is that the MSR market is much more price-driven,” Spitale said. “We’ve seen a pretty sharp decline in rifle sales, given our price points, resulting in significant inventory build-up held by our distributors.”

Colt considers its business anchored to four foundations of the market: government contracts, law-enforcement sales, international sales and the retail market. Though the company lost its primary contract for military-issue M16s and M4s in 2013, the company still retains a robust contract base that keeps production going.

In fact, according to Spitale, Colt’s manufacturing capacity for AR-style rifles is currently tied up in producing guns for outstanding contracts. Given this demand and given the lack of demand from the retail side of the market, Colt’s determination to suspend retail production is good business sense. M16s and AR-15s are different rifles, and to tie up production capacity in producing commercial semi-auto-only guns that nobody’s buying at the expense of outstanding military contracts is just bad business.

Meanwhile, Colt is re-focusing its efforts on another segment of the market that has seen increased demand and continues to be a big driver for the company: handguns."

Again, I mean no disrespect to anyone, I just needed to clear my head of this and move on.

On 1/2/2020 at 5:41 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You can only lead a horse to water ^_^

It was a corporate decision to stop sell'n AR's to us 'Deplorables'. It had nothing to do with contracts etc.

I, like many others will never forget how Colt treated it's customers over the AR deal.

Then there's the Custom Shop deal.  You could write books on how Colt screwed over dealers and customers alike........

Contact Sixgun Shorty for first hand verified and documented Custom Shop dealings towards the end.

OLG 

Ok you have to be absolutely right because you say so!  Or maybe you might be wrong? Lead a horse that water? How condescending of you!  I just love these authorities that seem to talk everyone else down. I will agree to disagree and let everyone else do the same. Oh I will take a Diet Coke instead plz

Hendo

THANK YOU for your explanation :excl:

The links were very helpful. 

It does appear now, that I did in fact 'swallow the bait'. :blush:

For that misinformation(I truly believed it)I do apologize :excl::excl:

Respectfully, 

OLG

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

With the upmost respect, OLG, I have to respond to this.

The Truth About Guns "broke" this story based on an inter dealer memo from a Colt distributor (RSR), not Colt Mfg. themselves. There is a Colt inter-corporate memo which actually adds clarity to the situation that came out before all of this crap blew up. I can post it when I find it again, but I've been down this rabbit hole when it happened and would rather not. I think it was posted on AR15.com. 

I'm confused as to why you would post a hit piece from the NYT  that was written relying on the expertise of Tim Lytton, who is not a gun industry expert as claimed, but a gun violence researcher at Georgia Law College. He's not even a professor, but I bet you can guess who funds his "research".

I believe TTAG (whatever) walked back their ire about Colt and has even glowed about the recent wheel guns being offered. I've no comment to that.

Perhaps the article from the NRA, might help....

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2019/9/12/the-truth-about-colts-ar-15-production/

"Recently, a story broke regarding an email communication from RSR Group, a firearm distributor that carries Colt firearms, that Colt notified them of its intention to discontinue production of all Colt long guns for the retail market in an effort to “focus on military and law-enforcement demand.”

This news caused many firearm enthusiasts to claim mismanagement on the part of company executives and to claim that Colt hasn’t changed its ways, a reference to popular perception that Colt’s 2015 filing for bankruptcy stemmed from the company’s focus on government contracts at the expense of the consumer market. However, the real story is a simple case of capitalism in action.

“We listen to our customers,” said Paul Spitale, Colt’s senior vice president for commercial business. “The whole basis for our reorganization was consumer feedback.”

Over the last few years, the market for modern sporting rifles has seen a significant decline in demand, leading to some of the lowest prices ever seen for new-in-box AR-15s.

“What’s true today is that the MSR market is much more price-driven,” Spitale said. “We’ve seen a pretty sharp decline in rifle sales, given our price points, resulting in significant inventory build-up held by our distributors.”

Colt considers its business anchored to four foundations of the market: government contracts, law-enforcement sales, international sales and the retail market. Though the company lost its primary contract for military-issue M16s and M4s in 2013, the company still retains a robust contract base that keeps production going.

In fact, according to Spitale, Colt’s manufacturing capacity for AR-style rifles is currently tied up in producing guns for outstanding contracts. Given this demand and given the lack of demand from the retail side of the market, Colt’s determination to suspend retail production is good business sense. M16s and AR-15s are different rifles, and to tie up production capacity in producing commercial semi-auto-only guns that nobody’s buying at the expense of outstanding military contracts is just bad business.

Meanwhile, Colt is re-focusing its efforts on another segment of the market that has seen increased demand and continues to be a big driver for the company: handguns."

Again, I mean no disrespect to anyone, I just needed to clear my head of this and move on.

Thanks for posting that Hendo! It's what I've been saying all along, it was a business decision by Colt and nothing more!:)

I remember when Ruger would not sell 20 round mags to civilians. My 1982 mini 14 liked the Ruger mags but they were nowhere to be found. Everybody loves Ruger now; What’s up with that?

Okay! I must join the conversation. I was a policeman in the 1960's when there were real Colt Pythons, but I chose a S&W Highway Patrolman. I could, and did out-shoot any of the Pythons because the S&W was better balanced. I kept mine loaded with 357 in case I needed to shoot through car or truck bodies. There was always a fierce debate between the Colt and S&W policemen. I tell my Grandkids, "I could shoot a gnat's ass at 50 feet with my eyes closed."

44 minutes ago, Russ The Red said:

Okay! I must join the conversation. I was a policeman in the 1960's when there were real Colt Pythons, but I chose a S&W Highway Patrolman. I could, and did out-shoot any of the Pythons because the S&W was better balanced. I kept mine loaded with 357 in case I needed to shoot through car or truck bodies. There was always a fierce debate between the Colt and S&W policemen. I tell my Grandkids, "I could shoot a gnat's ass at 50 feet with my eyes closed."

That's weird, I tell my grandkids that I know quite a few cops that shoot with their eyes closed. :D

1 minute ago, Hendo said:

That's weird, I tell my grandkids that I know quite a few cops that shoot with their eyes closed. :D

I should have thought that through before posting. I hate being the straight man in a comedy team.:lol:

1 hour ago, Russ The Red said:

Heck, I can't even see a big a$$ gnat at 50' with both eyes open..... :lol:

..........Widder

Archived