SASS Wire Forum

OT Return of the Python

Rye Miles #13621

Colt used to advertise that the python was fitted by hand. 

That was because it had to be hand fitted - it was basically an Official Police (with a ribbed barrel and chambered for the .357 magnum) which was designed when labor was cheap and paying someone to file to final fit was reasonable. That is no longer feasible. 

I seriously doubt that the new ones will be the same internally.  I hope that they will be as smooth and accurate as the originals, but don't hold your breath....

Duffield

25 minutes ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

Colt used to advertise that the python was fitted by hand. 

That was because it had to be hand fitted - it was basically an Official Police (with a ribbed barrel and chambered for the .357 magnum) which was designed when labor was cheap and paying someone to file to final fit was reasonable. That is no longer feasible. 

I seriously doubt that the new ones will be the same internally.  I hope that they will be as smooth and accurate as the originals, but don't hold your breath....

Duffield

I have an older Python from 1993 and also a NEW King Cobra. The King Cobra is just about as smooth and accurate as the Python so I do believe the NEW Python will be just as good if not better!

23 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

$1,500 for a $500 revolver?  

The Python is NOT a $500.00 revolver!

I could be wrong, but I think most EVERYTHING on the market is priced in relationship to its

counterpart/competition, etc....

So, if the Python sells for $1500 but is only worth $500, then that would mean the 686 Smiths

would sell for $700 but only worth $250.

I guess my Ruger Vaqueros are actually worth about $200 each..... or less.

;)

..........Widder

15 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I could be wrong, but I think most EVERYTHING on the market is priced in relationship to its

counterpart/competition, etc....

So, if the Python sells for $1500 but is only worth $500, then that would mean the 686 Smiths

would sell for $700 but only worth $250.

I guess my Ruger Vaqueros are actually worth about $200 each..... or less.

;)

..........Widder

I'd agree a name brand (because of reputation and quality) would be worth more then a no name.  But $1,000?  Not in my book.

Very interesting.  Reading the descriptions from colt and the limited reviews available so far, it appears that the lock work is different than the originals.  The description says it has a different trigger design, a different rear sight design, and the cylinder has much larger and differently shaped ramps to the bolt slots.  As mentioned above, the old guns were hand fitted, which was part of why the lock work was so good.  It would be great if they were able to keep the original lock work design but reduce the need for hand fitting through CNC production.  It would be a shame if they used the later lock work.  

I love Colts and have a lot of them, but the company has made some pretty poor business decisions.  They gave the double action revolver market to S&W, the SAA market to the Italians, and the 1911 market to too many makers to name.  For years they produced poor quality guns at very high prices trusting that people would buy them because they were Colts.  Then, they all but turned their back on the civilian market because they had military contracts for the M16.  

I honestly want them to succeed, but to do that they need to produce good quality guns that meet the needs of the buyer and not rely solely on the Colt name.  I hope the new python fits that bill.  

3 hours ago, Doc Coles SASS 1188 said:

Very interesting.  Reading the descriptions from colt and the limited reviews available so far, it appears that the lock work is different than the originals.  The description says it has a different trigger design, a different rear sight design, and the cylinder has much larger and differently shaped ramps to the bolt slots.  As mentioned above, the old guns were hand fitted, which was part of why the lock work was so good.  It would be great if they were able to keep the original lock work design but reduce the need for hand fitting through CNC production.  It would be a shame if they used the later lock work.  

I love Colts and have a lot of them, but the company has made some pretty poor business decisions.  They gave the double action revolver market to S&W, the SAA market to the Italians, and the 1911 market to too many makers to name.  For years they produced poor quality guns at very high prices trusting that people would buy them because they were Colts.  Then, they all but turned their back on the civilian market because they had military contracts for the M16.  

I honestly want them to succeed, but to do that they need to produce good quality guns that meet the needs of the buyer and not rely solely on the Colt name.  I hope the new python fits that bill.  

I can tell you this much the new King Cobra I have is great. CDC or hand fitted I really don’t give a hoot! The King Cobra and the Cobra are as smooth as you can get ! They’re simply really nice guns! I expect the Python will be the same’

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I can tell you this much the new King Cobra I have is great. CDC or hand fitted I really don’t give a hoot! The King Cobra and the Cobra are as smooth as you can get ! They’re simply really nice guns! I expect the Python will be the same’

Glad you like them.  I looked over one of the new Cobras and it looked a lot like the Trooper MK V action.  The older action used in the old Officers Model, the original Trooper, and the Python was smoother. But they cost a lot to produce.  I look forward to seeing the new python.  

My wife purchased a new cobra a year ago. It was the smoothest double action revolver in the store and one of the very best feeling actions we own. I am looking forward to getting my hands on a new python.

Just remember, Colt stopped selling AR-15 rifles to the public.

That action alone, tells you what Colt really thinks of their customers. <_<

Colt will NOT see a penny from me until they reverse that stupid AR sales policy.

Respectfully,

OLG

5 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Colt will NOT see a penny from me until they reverse that stupid AR sales policy.

Respectfully,

OLG

They're concentrating on revolvers, 1911's and upping the production of SAA's. They HAVE listened to their customers. The reason they are not selling AR's to the public is because of the contract they have with the Feds and plus the AR is a flooded market, there's more AR's out there than you can shake a stick at. You can still buy a Colt AR because they're till out there, everyone's buying the cheaper models.

Respectfully,

RYE

6 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

They're concentrating on revolvers, 1911's and upping the production of SAA's. They HAVE listened to their customers. The reason they are not selling AR's to the public is because of the contract they have with the Feds and plus the AR is a flooded market, there's more AR's out there than you can shake a stick at. You can still buy a Colt AR because they're till out there, everyone's buying the cheaper models.

Respectfully,

RYE

The feds buy select fire and the AR is semi-auto only.

Completely different lower receiver and bolt.

That contract is shared with FN and other makers.

The fact is-The HMFIC at Colt caved in?.........

Respectfully, 

OLG 

37 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The feds buy select fire and the AR is semi-auto only.

Completely different lower receiver and bolt.

That contract is shared with FN and other makers.

The fact is-The HMFIC at Colt caved in?.........

Respectfully, 

OLG 

Their contract includes police and some LEO depts. use semi autos. Besides like I said there a a slew of cheap AR's out there so Colt's decision to stop making them is a good business decision. They're actually listening to their customers!!! Look at what they've introduced in the last couple years, Cobra, King Cobra ( including different models and barrel lengths) and recently the much desired PYTHON, bunch of 1911's, including 9mm and .380 and they're ramping up production of the SAA's.

Who exactly did they cave into? Next thing you'll say is they're anti-gun! :lol: 

You can still buy Colt AR's!!! They're out there and they're twice and sometimes 3X as expensive as the "cheapie" AR's that people are buying like crazy! I think it's an excellent business decision by Colt!

The Colt Company isn't listening to its customers, its trying to cash in on what remains of its former glory.

The Neo Python isn't going to be a top seller.  Collectors will buy it but that's it.  The gun community at large isn't clamboring for a 6 shot 357 revolver.

Colt will be long studied as a model for poorly run businesses.  They used to have the lions share of the market for pistols, revolvers and AR Style rifles, but they've let it all slip through their grasp due to management malfeasance. They've thought their name would get them through but it doesn't cut it anymore when there's a plethora of rivals who not only make your wares better than you do, but they're more affordable as well.

Take a look at modern pistols.  Colt doesn't even try to compete in the polymer world or with striker fired items.  Up the road at Ruger and S&W they're making several different models at a wide variety of prices.  Their most modern semi-automatic pistol is a 100+ year old design. 

As others have said, The Italians make a better SAA, plenty of others make better 1911s, S&W makes better Double actions, and lots make better ARs.  So Colt tries to compete by resurrecting the name of a old firearm?  Nostalgia is all Colt has going for it, and that will only last for so long. 

1 hour ago, The Aggie Rifleman, SASS#55213 said:

Nostalgia is all Colt has going for it, and that will only last for so long. 

I have no problem with nostalgia, I shoot SASS.  I also have no problem paying more for a Colt than an Italian gun (I own 10 Colt SAAs and a bunch of other Colts ).  What I don’t like is when Colt makes a poorly fitted and finished gun and charges high prices for them.  In the 80s I bought my first colt brand new,  the first time I cocked it it locked up. It had a lot of problems.  When I complained to colt, they said it was a collector piece and not intended to be shot!  It took the more than a year to fix it and they ended up sending me a different gun.  Poor business.  I hope they are doing better now.

I also think saying that Colt is anti gun because they don’t offer the AR anymore is silly.  They can’t make money doing it, so they quit.  No problem.  

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Their contract includes police and some LEO depts. use semi autos. Besides like I said there a a slew of cheap AR's out there so Colt's decision to stop making them is a good business decision. They're actually listening to their customers!!! Look at what they've introduced in the last couple years, Cobra, King Cobra ( including different models and barrel lengths) and recently the much desired PYTHON, bunch of 1911's, including 9mm and .380 and they're ramping up production of the SAA's.

Who exactly did they cave into? Next thing you'll say is they're anti-gun! :lol: 

You can still buy Colt AR's!!! They're out there and they're twice and sometimes 3X as expensive as the "cheapie" AR's that people are buying like crazy! I think it's an excellent business decision by Colt!

Colt caved to the anti AR morons, plain and simple.

Many SO and PD's will issue a select-fire M4 to qualified personnel. 

My SIL is LASD and is issued one.

Colt unfortunately does stand out as one of if not the worst run gun maker on the planet. 

FWIW: I own 6 Colts(2 Pythons, 1911 GC & LW Commander and full size 1911 that was my duty gun plus a Woodsman)bought them all in the early to mid 1970's. Still have them and will never sell'em.

OLG 

All I can say is the Colt SAA’s that I own are far better than any of my Ubertis. I have a new 1911, and a new King Cobra and they’re great guns. 
I’m a Colt fan and I will continue to buy and support them.;) I disagree that they caved into the antigun crowd, quite honestly that’s ridiculous !

3 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

All I can say is the Colt SAA’s that I own are far better than any of my Ubertis. I have a new 1911, and a new King Cobra and they’re great guns. 
I’m a Colt fan and I will continue to buy and support them.;) I disagree that they caved into the antigun crowd, quite honestly that’s ridiculous !

You can only lead a horse to water ^_^

It was a corporate decision to stop sell'n AR's to us 'Deplorables'. It had nothing to do with contracts etc.

I, like many others will never forget how Colt treated it's customers over the AR deal.

Then there's the Custom Shop deal.  You could write books on how Colt screwed over dealers and customers alike........

Contact Sixgun Shorty for first hand verified and documented Custom Shop dealings towards the end.

OLG 

19 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You can only lead a horse to water ^_^

It was a corporate decision to stop sell'n AR's to us 'Deplorables'. It had nothing to do with contracts etc.

I, like many others will never forget how Colt treated it's customers over the AR deal.

Then there's the Custom Shop deal.  You could write books on how Colt screwed over dealers and customers alike........

Contact Sixgun Shorty for first hand verified and documented Custom Shop dealings towards the end.

OLG 

I respectfully disagree with everything you’re saying about Colt! I’m done with this argument!

Happy New Year ;)

Everything else aside, it is a very attractive revolver.  I have a Python from the mid 60's, it is an amazing firearm.  I am curious to see how they sell, my guess, they will.  All those baby boomer friends of mine with disposable income and expensive pick ups will for sure let go of some dollars  to have a Python.  Good for Colt for making an effort.  I'd like to handle one and inspect it closely for final opinion.

Maybe 10 shot DIAMONDBACK .22 will be next.

Of course, it will have to compete with the S&W 617.   But, it would be

a dandy.

OR, maybe even the Woodsman Match Target.   WOW, that would be good.

..........Widder

10 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Maybe 10 shot DIAMONDBACK .22 will be next.

Of course, it will have to compete with the S&W 617.   But, it would be

a dandy.

OR, maybe even the Woodsman Match Target.   WOW, that would be good.

..........Widder

I've got 2 6" Colt Woodsman Match Targets. Love them.

On 1/2/2020 at 2:08 AM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Respectfully,

OLG

I just looked at a brand new Colt AR-15 at Runnings a week ago or so.  When did this stop of sales start, and possibly end?

Archived