SASS Wire Forum

Tucson Pards; Need some tool help for working on my Jeep

As some of you may know, I have a Jeep, and as a Jeep owner, I'm constantly making modifications to it. My latest is to replace the factory tail lights with round lights. The problem is that most of them require a 4.5" hole in the body to mount them. 

I don't have a 4.5" hole saw, and I don't have a big enough drill to power it. I only need to punch the two holes, so I really don't want to spend a bunch of money for tools I only plan to use once. 

Anybody have the tools I can borrow? Your place, my place, or somewhere in between.

TIA

What you need is a #4 conduit knockout punch and not a hole saw.  It is very hard to get an exact hole size with a hole saw in thin metal.

You can rent knockout punches from places like United Rentals

BTW Trade size 4 makes a 4.5" finished hole. 

9 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

What you need is a #4 conduit knockout punch and not a hole saw.  It is very hard to get an exact hole size with a hole saw in thin metal.

Excellent suggestion, SD. :)

I forgot they made them this big. 

Sgt, these knockout punches are also called “chassis punches”. 

22 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I didn't even think about a KO punch. 

Give a couple of local electrical contractors a call, the larger commercial contractors should have 4" (4.5) hydraulic KO punches you might be able to borrow for a song or even free.

Archived