SASS Wire Forum

Lining for gun box?

Warden Callaway

Gettin' closer.

1053657991_Boxforblackpowderstuff1Jan2020.jpg.84890dba91972544046673e1c28f8c6b.jpg

I found some "antique oak" stain and slobered some on inside of box lid and shelf.  Then hit with spray polyurethane. 

Lining solved. Just put them in treated socks.

982537033_Boxforblackpowder2Jan2020.jpg.e956b44cde4f700e461cdc753a5f8d1b.jpg

The powder can is some 1/4" too tall to fit standing up.  I need to find some containers for wads and balls.  Maybe divide off some to keep stuff somewhat organized. 

I have not read all of the previous replies, howver here goes: 

If the inside of the box is wood, carefully cleaning of all debris grease and other contaminants. Then, lay on maybe three light, thin coats of clear, heavy-duty glossy, epoxy enamel.  It is important to let each coat of enamel dry thoroughly. Then get a thin piece of counter l-top plastic (something thin and strong), cut-to-fit the bottom, drop it in and go with that.

Cat Brules

• 2 weeks later...

It's all about repurposing these days.  I wanted to find some small metal boxes to put balls and wads in. (As opposed to ziplock bags) I did a lot of searching and didn't come up with what I wanted.  But yesterday we were in a Mennonite country store and I spotted these salt and pepper shakers. They were in the right size range and only $4.50. The lids just slide on and off friction fit.  The tops make nice little serving dishes. 

477244907_SaltpeppershakersFeb2020.jpg.e2ba63c4b40339e0c7940483ac6b32e7.jpg

Archived