SASS Wire Forum

Vacation in Tennessee

I am looking to take my wife :wub: to Tennessee this next year on vacation for a week as we explore the US.  We are currently looking at the Nashville or Memphis areas and have some questions.  

What is the best month weather wise?  We aren't used to humidity.

We are interested in river boat cruises, ghost walks, plantation tours, historical sites, etc.  We don't really do museums and such. 

I am open to suggestions for other areas of Tennessee as well to get an overall feel for the state.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Jailhouse Jim

October is the best month in my opinion, followed by September and May. June, July, August, are usually pretty unbearable for heat and humidity.

The Eastern half of the state is my favorite (even though I'm right in the middle). Rolling hills to mountains as you go East.

JJ,

I live in E.TN, on the other side far away from Memphis.

If it were me, I think I would focus on Nashville and Middle Tennessee if those are your only 2 options.

But, E.Tennessee is not short on entertainment, beauty and such.

We have Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg and the Smoky Mtns all in one beautiful area.

Sevierville:  Home of Smoky Mtn Knife Works, which is known as the Worlds Largest Knife Store.

it also has a HUGE firearms section, along with mucho ammo and related stuff.

Across the street from there is also BUD's gun store.   BIG!

Pigeon Forge is just up the road a couple miles.    Entertainment galore.   Country music, shopping, etc.....

AND..... DOLLYWOOD.    Dollywood is really a great place.

Gatlinburg is marvelous and sits right in the mountains.   Its just a few miles from Pigeon Forge.   

ALL of these places have nice lodging places and some super fine eating.   

You can't go wrong with a visit to these areas.

And if you like horseback riding, there are stables that give riding tours thru some mountains.

If you like go-cart tracks, you'll find yeownself in 7th-heaven in Pigeon Forge.

And if you like ATV trails and bring your ATV/UTV, we also have Windrock and Royal Blue.

I think one of those has up to 700 miles of trails and the other has over 70,000 acres of trails.

VERY POPULAR around here.

..........Widder

I'd stay away from Memphis, IMO there isn't much left to see in the city.  Nashville is good if you like to honky tonk, and enjoy country music.  East TN has a lot to offer and as Widder said about the Smokies area.  The only issue with that area is the traffic can be horrendous depending on time of year.  If you want to go in the fall make your reservations early lots of folks go there to see the beautiful foliage.  Central TN has a lot of outdoor activities like hiking, kayaking, fishing, etc.  If you're looking for Antebellum houses on plantations and such you may have to go further south into MS, LA or AL. 

October is usually a month of good weather and low humidity.  Next best month would be April as the temperatures are mild and the land is turning green after the winter brown.

You will find what you are looking for in Nashville-Murfreesboro-Chattanooga area, but I am partial to the East Tennessee area for wonderful scenery and interesting places to visit.  Widder summed it up nicely.

Duffield

I happened to go to Fall Creek Falls state park in Tennessee for a family reunion.  That was pretty cool with places to swim, hike and explore.  The wife and I drove through Nashville which was pretty neat.  If you go through Nashville, I would suggest stopping by the Parthenon.  That was neat too.

Red Wolf

Thank you all for the information.  We aren't stuck on Memphis at all but would like to take a cruise on the Mississippi as part of our trip.  Ghost walks and history walking tours are a big hit with us since we want to learn about the area.

Hi Jim,

I've never been to TN; but would :wub: to see Widder, Anita Margarita, Jackalope, Evil Swede, and Madam Wicked. I hope I didn't forget anyone and hope you cross paths with some of them.

Have fun!

hehehehehe.

She didn't mention Tn Williams.....   hehehehehe

..........Widder

I am of course biased, but in my opinion Murfreesboro is a great area. The geographical center of TN is located here. It is a short drive to Nashville without the hustle and bustle of the highly commercialized honky tonk city. It's also a short drive to my home range of the Wartrace regulators where we shoot the first and third saturdays. I'm not sure of the dates, but Murfreesboro has a ghost tour of its historic downtown that is supposed to be interesting. There is also the historic Cannonsburg village you can check out right next to downtown. I do blacksmithing there but they have a lot of things go on such as craft fairs, Uncle Dave Macon days, etc. 

Any time of year is good/bad weather wise in TN. If you don't like the weather when you get here, just stick around an hour or so. It'll change!

I am of course biased, but in my opinion Murfreesboro is a great area. The geographical center of TN is located here. It is a short drive to Nashville without the hustle and bustle of the highly commercialized honky tonk city. It's also a short drive to my home range of the Wartrace regulators where we shoot the first and third saturdays. I'm not sure of the dates, but Murfreesboro has a ghost tour of its historic downtown that is supposed to be interesting. There is also the historic Cannonsburg village you can check out right next to downtown. I do blacksmithing there but they have a lot of things go on such as craft fairs, Uncle Dave Macon days, etc. 

Any time of year is good/bad weather wise in TN. If you don't like the weather when you get here, just stick around an hour or so. It'll change!

You forgot to mention Bell Buckle, the Buckle Cafe, The Blockade Runner(Civil War sutler and museum), and then there's always Lynchburg a bit further south.

:FlagAm:A day spent in Lynchburg is a good time as well.  A tasting tour at Jack Daniel's is fun and the shops around the square are neat to browse in.  According to my new JD calendar, the big, yearly BBQ competition is on 10OCT this year.  

Annie and I have been to TN the last seven years in OCT.  The Tennessee State Match in Wartrace is great, the scenery is awesome and people we have met and become friends with are second to none.

Chas B:D  

I’m biased for East Tennessee, for all the reasons outlined by Widder.

Murfreesboro has Barrett Firearms.  Tours and range sessions can be arranged.

Nashville has the Parthenon, Olive & Sinclair chocolates, and the neighborhoods around Belmont and Vanderbilt Universities.

If you’re into country music, check out Honky Tonk Row, the Ryman Auditorium, the Grand Ol Opry, the Country Music Hall of Fame, and Music Row.

Franklin, TN is a short drive south of Nashville and a pretty town. Good restaurants and shopping.

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Oops!

Of course TN Williams! I also forgot TN Tombstone and Lady T. :wub: 

I’d be kerful if’n ya gets the opportunity to cross paths wif OLD TN Williams! You’re liable to get a bad case of cooties, have a funny lookin’ doll amongst your belongings and have an unnatural hankrin’ fer namner splits! :lol:

Kajun

19 hours ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

Thank you all for the information.  We aren't stuck on Memphis at all but would like to take a cruise on the Mississippi as part of our trip.  Ghost walks and history walking tours are a big hit with us since we want to learn about the area.

In 20012 we took the riverboat (American Queen) from Memphis to New Orleans down the old Mississippi River. A total of 7 nights and it stopped at Vicksburg, Natchez, Oak Alley, Francisville, Baton Rouge and New Orleans.  Saw Civil War battlefields, Antebellum plantations,  original slave quarters etc, etc.  Best trip we ever had..  Started off with a visit to Graceland before boarding the river boat at Memphis.

BCLD I can recommend Middle Tennessee since I have lived here for 55 years,we shoot the Tennessee State match Regulators Reckoning in October. Memphis has much to stay away from,Opryland Hotel has the General Jackson riverboat dinner cruise through downtown. I also recommend East Tennessee . The Museum of the Appalachia is a full scale operating Appalacian village in Clinton ( if you see a guy in the yard opposite the driveway, honk and wave ,he's my cousin.

Imis no Im not biased

Archived