SASS Wire Forum

Changing flame color of BP rounds...

Croc Holiday

I was chatting with my nephew about BP and the muzzle flash it has.  He said "it would be cool if you could change it's color."  Interesting thought.  I remembered something I read a while back about how to change flame color in fire by adding certain compounds like copper chloride to change it blue.  Was curious if anyone has tried adding something like that to black powder?

Not a chemist, but seems to me adding any chemical to things that go boom could be iffy.

Maybe we'll get some bp/chem expert on here that can shed more light.

C'mon you soot lords, boom and flash ain't enough for ya? Lol

Not a chemist, but seems to me adding any chemical to things that go boom could be iffy.

I thought the same thing but thought I'd see.  I can see all sorts of ways it could go wrong.  But maybe it's been done with no issues.

C'mon you soot lords, boom and flash ain't enough for ya? Lol

Yea, I know.  There's something wrong with me haha.

I was chatting with my nephew about BP and the muzzle flash it has.  He said "it would be cool if you could change it's color."  Interesting thought.  I remembered something I read a while back about how to change flame color in fire by adding certain compounds like copper chloride to change it blue.  Was curious if anyone has tried adding something like that to black powder?

Croc, I have added some colored chalk from a chalk line in my shotgun Hulls for some cool blue smoke.

Croc, I have added some colored chalk from a chalk line in my shotgun Hulls for some cool blue smoke.

That sounds fun too and I have some in the shop!

Be aware - when shooting chalk loads, the wind direction becomes important. Some folks get a bit upset when colored chalk gets blown onto their favorite cowboy clothes ....  Just a thought.  :o

Be aware - when shooting chalk loads, the wind direction becomes important. Some folks get a bit upset when colored chalk gets blown onto their favorite cowboy clothes ....  Just a thought.  :o

And their lungs.

Who wants to breath chaulk dust.  

I tried this for years.  Even read articles about making fireworks.

Unfortunately, we don't use enough powder to make it work.  Maybe in a full load of a 3" shotshell in 10g. 

I for ONE am perfectly happy with my FULL CASE loads of Goex 3F And see NO need and Have NO space to add anything to Color things ....

My .40 caliber plus rounds and my shotshells that seem to smoke plenty good ....

Jabez Cowboy

Just an FYI...there HAVE been some issues with a few individuals adding "stuff" to their loads to create additional pyrotechnic effects.

Currently, there are no rules specifically addressing the practice other than range rules (e.g. fire hazards).

Powdered chalk, glitter, etc. mixed with the shot present potential problems as mentioned.

REF: SHB p.27

...Powdered chalk, glitter, etc. mixed with the shot present potential problems as mentioned....

There was one mention here a while back about someone incurring an eye injury from the glitter in another shooter's shotshells. 

I guess my dreams of a BP shotgun round that belches green flame and spits blue chalk smoke, feathers, glitter, confetti and streamers is dead...  :blink:

Put a pea sized wad of 0000 steel wool between wad and powder. Spectacular long white flame!!

Just an FYI...there HAVE been some issues with a few individuals adding "stuff" to their loads to create additional pyrotechnic effects.

Currently, there are no rules specifically addressing the practice other than range rules (e.g. fire hazards).

Powdered chalk, glitter, etc. mixed with the shot present potential problems as mentioned.

REF: SHB p.27

Yeah people need to pay attention to range conditions.  There's a yearly I go to that outlawed pixie dust being added to BP round cause somebody went overboard, and caused issues, which resulted in no more pyrotechnic rounds being allowed.

Put a pea sized wad of 0000 steel wool between wad and powder. Spectacular long white flame!!

I tried this, I didn't think it worked, but was told otherwise from the posse.

I heard tell of a feller once put a bikini thong in a SG shell. The story goes - it stuck perfectly on the SG target & it took 10 minutes to settle down the posse !!  :o:o  :D:D

The color comes from a substance burning.  Burn a colored comic strip in the fireplace and look at the colors these compounds produce.

The yellow produced in flames comes from sodium ions, because there is so much salt in many things.

Copper ions produce a pretty green, so burning copper chloride yields a green color.

Potassium ions show lavender, so burning a salt substitute (KCl).

The difficulty might be that the smoke and flame from burning black powder may mask the other colors, and they might be impossible to see.

—Dawg

I heard tell of a feller once put a bikini thong in a SG shell. The story goes - it stuck perfectly on the SG target & it took 10 minutes to settle down the posse !!  :o:o  :D:D

Yup, and he is a proud member of the Insane Clown Posse.:D

Yup, and he is a proud member of the Insane Clown Posse.:D

Sounds like somethin mighta happened at Possum Trot    :D

I wasn't present to witness the incident, just remember him telling me about it.  Don't know that he told me where he was at the time.  And since you mentioned Possum Trot, it may not be who you are thinking of.

Contractors will tell you that red colored construction marking chalk doesn't wash out completely on   clothing, leather, etc.   Just sharing. 

I have no knowledge of said thong incident, however i can tell you that roman candle balls go down range nicely and even strike targets very accurately. Shot over fresh straw mat and new grass seed it makes predictable results, therefore pyro loads are now banned at Wartrace. When Willy McCoy was loading Insane clown loads he told me he did not have any success loading over BP and only used smokeless for the loads. I have been told fireworks are BP so who knows? Glitter, cracklers, roman candle balls- all great fun until you start a big fire two weeks before a state level match. Jersey Bratt watched me do the fire dance that day, and she stays with me anyway.

Imis (who shoots smokeless loads without augmentation now) 

I have seen some folks add little yellow feathers to their loads for an after effect,

On 12/31/2019 at 2:28 PM, Yusta B. said:

Be careful where you get it from....A boyfriend or husband might be watching and wonder how you got it.......Or girlfriend, I am in California...Need to be equal or someone upset....

Texas Lizard

On 12/31/2019 at 4:05 PM, Cemetery said:

Yeah people need to pay attention to range conditions.  There's a yearly I go to that outlawed pixie dust being added to BP round cause somebody went overboard, and caused issues, which resulted in no more pyrotechnic rounds being allowed.

Pyrotechnic effects may look cool but is it worth causing problems. Like possibly starting a fire (that water may not be able to put out), blow back that could burn someone or their clothes? Lastly adding a substance to BP with a different “burn rate” that overtime could possibly cause fatigue of the gun parts. IMO someone that could get hurt with a gun coming apart because of “pyrotechnic effects” is not worth it.   

Nawlins

Once and a while I'd put "stripper glitter" in with the shot, or the blue carpenter chalk. If you want more smoke and fire ,,, try some 1F powder.

Isom

I actually looked into this a while back and played around with a few different additives.  Short story is nothing was really satisfactory.  The problem is the burn rate of all of the mentioned chemical additives is so much slower than BP that you get minimal effect if any at all.  If you throw these additives in a campfire?  You will see some great color changes that show for a good while because they burn extremely slow.  My experience was they simply do not have time to get a good burn going and show color from a shot blast.  That was my experience.

Archived