SASS Wire Forum

The Food You Feed may be Killing Your Pet

Sedalia Dave

'It's not going away': Vets still seeing cases of dog heart problems linked to grain-free food

Exotic ingredients and boutique brands may also be linked to the health issues.

Turner is one of a growing list of pet owners whose healthy-sounding dog food may have somehow led to a serious heart problem in their pets called dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM).

The Food and Drug Administration last year announced a possible link between the condition, which can cause heart failure, and grain-free pet foods, which replace grains with ingredients like peas, lentils or potatoes.

By April, the agency said that it had received 524 reports of 560 dogs and 14 cats diagnosed with DCM that appeared to be related to diet. 

FDA Investigation into Potential Link between Certain Diets and Canine Dilated Cardiomyopathy.

In July 2018, the FDA announced that it had begun investigating reports of canine dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) in dogs eating certain pet foods, many labeled as "grain-free," which contained a high proportion of peas, lentils, other legume seeds (pulses), and/or potatoes in various forms (whole, flour, protein, etc.) as main ingredients (listed within the first 10 ingredients in the ingredient list, before vitamins and minerals). Many of these case reports included breeds of dogs not previously known to have a genetic predisposition to the disease. The FDA’s Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM) and the Veterinary Laboratory Investigation and Response Network (Vet-LIRN), a collaboration of government and veterinary diagnostic laboratories, continue to investigate this potential association. Based on the data collected and analyzed thus far, the agency believes that the potential association between diet and DCM in dogs is a complex scientific issue that may involve multiple factors.

It's a concern.  Cats are obligate carnivores & do not really digest plant products, whether grain or not.  My two idiots do not seem to recognize real meat as food.

I feed grain free Wilderness by Blue Buffalo to my dog. BUT I had a collie that all I fed her was kibbles and bits, and she lived 17 yea rs. Long for a collie.

My dog now also gets cucumbers and lettuce for a treat. If he sees me eating it he thinks it must be good so he wants some.

I feed grain free Wilderness by Blue Buffalo to my dog. BUT I had a collie that all I fed her was kibbles and bits, and she lived 17 yea rs. Long for a collie.

My dog now also gets cucumbers and lettuce for a treat. If he sees me eating it he thinks it must be good so he wants some.

Grain free pet food like Blue Buffalo is high on the list of possible causes of the condition.

We fed our Rottie a hybrid BARF (Bones and Raw Food) diet and he lived to 13. He got all the Purina One Lamb kibble he wanted and a chicken quarter bones skin and all for dinner every night. Hearing those bones pop and seeing him wolf it down in about two minutes gave me an idea how powerful those jaws were.

I feed my Lab Purina 1 and have since she was a pup, she's 5 1/2 now. She is exactly where our vet says she should be weightwise. I excersize her for 1/2 every day. For me the key is protein content, I look for over 30%.

Make sure the grain free food has Taurine in it.

I also feed our 11yo mini-aussie Blue Baffalo and she has the energy of when she was 2yo.

I see no reason to change.....

Thank you for your concern  SD:excl:

OLG 

Purina Pro Plan & Hills Science Diet.... These two companies do their homework. It ain't cheap... But my dogs eat for a month on what I spend for a nice dinner with the girlfriend.

I should mention, not all of Purina is what I would call great food though.

Gotta admit: Grandcat Amy Sumner ate DeliCat dammit and lived to be 19.  Arthur ate Meow Mix (on the advice of his vet) and lived to be 13 but died of feline AIDS.  Current kittehs are thriving on a mix of Purina indoor & balanced but I wish I felt better about this mix.  Any time you add carbs to cat food (whether grain or not) you're just adding empty calories.

Archived