SASS Wire Forum

colt conversion

Make do

I have a colt SA in 357 (96xxxSA) that I would like to convert to 38/40 - I am thinking of a couple of actions but I am looking for opinions as to the better path.

1. Bore the cylinder and barrel

2. Bore the cylinder and buy a barrel

3. Buy a cylinder and barrel 

The gun is used but not abused -runs great but hasn't had any action work done to it. Thanks for your input

I advise selling the gun you have and buying a 38-40.  Lots of folks like the .357 since it shoots .38 spl., so you shouldn’t have a hard time finding a buyer.  38-40 guns are around.  If you are going to change the caliber of the one you have, replace the barrel and cylinder, if you can find the parts.  Not always easy to do.  .357 and 38-40 are different bore diameters so you would have to bore and recut the rifeling then bore out and recut the chamber.  Altering the barrel and cylinder would devalue your gun (which is a desirable second generation) and cost a good bit.  Personally, I try not to pay lots of money to people to devalue a good gun, but to each his own.  

I have a Colt in 45, which I am going to change to 44-40.  I have the cylinder and barrel in 44 cal.  and it's a lot easier to swap them.  As the 44 is smaller in diameter than the 45 cutting the bore and cylinder chambers is not an option, although I wouldn't do it anyway. 

I advise selling the gun you have and buying a 38-40.  Lots of folks like the .357 since it shoots .38 spl., so you shouldn’t have a hard time finding a buyer.  38-40 guns are around.  If you are going to change the caliber of the one you have, replace the barrel and cylinder, if you can find the parts.  Not always easy to do.  .357 and 38-40 are different bore diameters so you would have to bore and recut the rifeling then bore out and recut the chamber.  Altering the barrel and cylinder would devalue your gun (which is a desirable second generation) and cost a good bit.  Personally, I try not to pay lots of money to people to devalue a good gun, but to each his own.  

I think my gun is a third generation I bought it in the early 80's so I am not sure of the collectors value?

My apologies, the SA at the end threw me.  Yes, yours is a third gen.  Much less valuable than a 2nd.  Easier to get a barrel for as well, but 38-40 was not in the third gen lineup until the more recent production, so 3rd gen 38-40 parts are not common.  I still think selling your gun and buying a 38-40 is the best thing to do.  Even if it costs you another $500-700 above what you get for yours, you would be ahead as it will cost that much in parts and smithing to do yours.  Just my opinion.  Your mileage may vary.  

Just for folks who don't know, the .38-40 (.38 WCF) is actually a .40 caliber.  It is basically a .44-40 necked down from a nominal .427" bullet to .401-.403" bullet diameter.  Why Winchester named it .38 WCF, I never could figure out. Incidentally, the .41 Long Colt, also had a groove diameter of the same size.  Some folks with .41 LC Colt's SA, who didn't want to fool with using either heel bullets or hollow base slugs, would find a .38-40 cylinder and have it fitted (timed, etc.) to their .41.

I agree with keeping your .357 and buying a reproduction in .38-40, if that is your desire.  Frankly, unless you have a rifle in .3840...I'd go for .44-40!  Just sayin'

Happy New Year, All!

While it can certainly be done , and I have done it ,,,,, I suggest that you sell yours and Buy one in .38-40 ....

The cost of boring the cylinder and Barrel out and rifling are high enough that unless the gun is a special one to you it is far and away cheaper to sell yours and buy one in 38-40 ....

Then you will have a Correctly marked gun worth more than a modified one ...

Jabez Cowboy  

Archived