SASS Wire Forum

New Brownells customer

Warden Callaway

Well,  not really. But I placed my first order online this morning 

I ordered stuff from Brownells many years ago when the process was to fill out an order form on paper, put it in and envelope and mail it in.  

When I got back to shooting and working on guns after retirement,  MidwayUSA had sprung up in my area. MidwayUSA carried lots of gunsmith items and parts. Grafs and Sons had expended to carry a multitude of items.  So Brownells was not a primary source for things I needed. 

I have bought a few items from Brownells but did so in person when we made trips through the area.

But a stainless steel wire buffing/carding wheel caught my eye on one of Mark Novak's videos.  I finally figured out what the wheel was and looked it at MidwayUSA. They had it at $32.50.  I could order it and drive over and pick it up and pay about 10% sales tax.  As an afterthought,  I checked Brownells.  They had the same wheel at $24.99.  They are also running a free shipping for orders over $49.  Well, the wheel was only going to bring me half way there.  So I added a screwdriver set for Colt SAA.   A cheap bore brush pushed the order over the $49 limit for free shipping.  (Also no sales tax).  

Their Tech Support team is first class.   You have a question, I would wager they have the answer.  I needed some screws for mounting a peep ,They told me the length , diameter and pitch of screws available in the kits        GW

One of the first things I bought many years ago was Gunsmith Kinks.  I didn't realize until I dropped in at their store that there is now 4 volumes of the book.  

I have about 6' of gunsmith books but seldom use them now. There is so much information online that I find more convenient. 

When I had my shop Brownells was my go to supplier. Later I just did welding and silver soldering for shops around me and Brownells was still my main supplier. Now I only do lathe work no one else will and welding etc.  Still use Brownells.

Only 40 minutes from me. Nice quick road trip but I usually use going to Brownells as an excuse to go to lunch at http://www.montgomerysandwichshop.com

Only 40 minutes from me. Nice quick road trip but I usually use going to Brownells as an excuse to go to lunch at http://www.montgomerysandwichshop.com

We have to time our trips to get to Julia's Hometown Cafe in beautiful downtown Oskaloosa for lunch. 

https://julieshomestylecafe.com/

Short story.  Sawmill Mary and I "collect" small hometown cafes.  We'll eat at one of these places over a chain fast food or restaurant any day.  Anyway,   Oskaloosa is right on our often taken route to visit our son and daughter-in-law in Minneapolis area.   Ok..  We exit off 163 onto old 63 and stop at Casey's (Iowa has a Casey's about every mile).  I asked the sales clerk if there was a cafe in town.  No.  Just the usual fast food places.  Ok.  We drive on.  Get down town and catch the sign with a big slice of pie.  Turn the block and there is just the most perfect little hometown cafe.  Great food at great prices. We've been back several times.

Warden Callaway has always got some good things going on and everything is just plain interesting/

Keep up the great & fantastic videos pilgrim. I am a big fan of yours.

Jackrabbit Joe

The economy shipping and tracking leaves much to be desired. I have an order which shows delivery for today but tracking shows the package is in Orlando. 

8 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

We'll,  tracking says my order is in Chicago!    Figures,  go north and east instead of due south. :unsure:

Hi, I am a big buyer from Brownells and I am a member of their "Edge" program. When I paid for shipping everything went to UPS. Now it goes cheapest. It they send it USPS but through UPS it goes backward to Kansas City then forwards to Chicago. Most other packages go to "Speedy Delivery" which I have never heard of but works well, for me. "Edge" gives me the option of 2 day delivery, free. Just a tip get on their  email list and you will be notified of sales; usually $ 10 on a $100 or more.  I save up until I get $100 worth of stuff, then wait for a coupon.  I have returned unused/ unneeded  stuff after a year and still got a refund. All in all I'm happy with them, but on some items they can be beat by Amazon, YMMV, regards, Mike

speedy delivery is based out of st cloud mn , i was involved with building it for a long time from when they started through building their headquarters and many out locations , been expanding over multiple states for a while , really good service , really good people , 

had good luck with brownells over the years too , 

I have been a huge fan of Brownells. But their shipping, tracking and order/delivery speed has slipped. I bought a threaded barrel for my Ruger 10/22. I live in Las Vegas. They sent it to Texas, never to be heard from again. Yes, they made it right and replaced the barrel which I did get the second one, but the whole process took 3 weeks. Now, I ordered a bunch of Wolff SAA springs. The sear springs got to me after almost 10 days, but I'm still waiting for the main springs. Just checked they're in Fontana California. No idea why, but I have a SAA tore apart on my bench now 12 days and no idea when I can put it back together. If I don't get the mainsprings tomorrow, I'll have to call them again and start the replacement process again. I think my order is going to someone else.  Something I've never associated with Brownells. I'm a little disappointed. 

Holy Cow!  It's in Indianapolis now! :wacko:

Probably hit I70 and go to Kansas City or Lenexa Kansas and then come back east. 

Initially delivery date was Friday the 10th. Then it was Thursday.  Now it's back to Friday.  

Good thing it wasn't something I needed any time soon.  

We've never had problems with USPS.   Really had no problems with UPS.  We use to have problems with FedEx finding us but not lately.  DHL sucks.  

Love Brownells service...but their economy shipping leaves a lot to be desired.  The average for me is about 8 days from the time it leaves Brownells until it gets to me.  Midway...and Amazon both have Brownells beat in the shipping department.  

I ordered a scope from Midway using their free shipping.  It took exactly two weeks to arrive.  The tracking of the package was a black hole once UPS had it.  Guess that’s what passes for ‘normal’ these days.

Small wonder Amazon is the largest online store.  I ordered a scope cover (yeah, an expensive scope comes with no cover and no caps) yesterday and it arrives today.  When it comes to shooting supplies Amazon is not at the top of my mind, but they had the same scope for the same price and it was eligible for Prime.  Rather than waiting two weeks I could have had it overnight!

I try to support folks in the industry but sometimes they make it hard.

Amazon... the ban of my existence...  not only do they use a their own trucks to ship stuff, they have NO physical stores, and therefore no need of the stuff I haul most... retail store shelving!  I seldom find a quality item @ Amazon, but @ Brownell's, nothing but!

On 12/31/2019 at 12:58 AM, Warden Callaway said:

We have to time our trips to get to Julia's Hometown Cafe in beautiful downtown Oskaloosa for lunch. 

https://julieshomestylecafe.com/

Short story.  Sawmill Mary and I "collect" small hometown cafes.  We'll eat at one of these places over a chain fast food or restaurant any day.  Anyway,   Oskaloosa is right on our often taken route to visit our son and daughter-in-law in Minneapolis area.   Ok..  We exit off 163 onto old 63 and stop at Casey's (Iowa has a Casey's about every mile).  I asked the sales clerk if there was a cafe in town.  No.  Just the usual fast food places.  Ok.  We drive on.  Get down town and catch the sign with a big slice of pie.  Turn the block and there is just the most perfect little hometown cafe.  Great food at great prices. We've been back several times.

Same here, I just wish more "Mom & Pop" cafes had truck parking!  The ones I find that do, are generally full!  71' of rig can be difficult to accomodate.

I bought Brownell's gunsmith precision screwdriver kit.

I also buy from Midway, Grafs, Midsouth, Buds, and TSS in Utah, entirely on price and shipping.
My best total price on shotshells, wads and shot is my local Sportsman's Warehouse.
Bass Pro is always far higher than everybody else.

The wait is over.  The postman delivered the package this afternoon.  

I bought a set of Brownells Magna Tip screw driver and bits for Colt SAA.  I tried them on my Pietta Yank that's out for cleaning.  I renewed my dislike for magnetic screw drivers.  I don't like how they pull to anything steel when they get close. I don't like how they pull the screws out.  I may want them to stay in the holes. I don't like how they pick up other parts when I'm not looking.  Besides, the handle is 3x too long. I bet the bits won't stay in my non-magnet driver.  

Archived