SASS Wire Forum

Warm Up Matches

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Sometimes when I participate in a big multi day match, in addition to all the side matches, and perhaps a Wild Bunch match, they often have what they call a mini or warm-up match.  Usually 4 stages.   

To be honest, while I usually do the Wild Bunch, and as many of the different side matches as possible, I usually take a pass on the Warm up match.   But then, exactly two days ago, it suddenly occurred to me that this would be the prefect opportunity to just really go all out for fun.   This would be the chance to use different guns.  Be they ones you have never tried before, your "old" main match guns that you've moved on to something else from, your "style point" guns, shoot black powder if you normally use smokeless, or vice versa, or whatever else floats your boat.   Having suddenly had this revelation, I am looking forward to to my next big match, where I shall without a doubt use something different.

I used to sign up for every warm up match at every "big" match I went to. Then there was a swing to only 4 stages (sometimes 3), only 2 shotgun and 5 or 6 rifle per stage. Target sequences were very simple (three target Nevada or 4-1, 1-4 on two targets). I have heard of targets being moved in another yard or so but have not actually seen that. All at a price that was considerably more than a local 6 stage match. Since I was treating the bigger match as a more serious competition the warm up became a bit of a distraction.

I get my fun by shooting against some of the really good shooters in the game and want to do my best. YMMV

Decided the value was no longer there in terms of price or preparation since I actually practiced in those days and the minimalized stages tended to throw me off. have not shot a warm up in several years.

Now I shoot the speed events (not really in contention there:)) or the check out bay as my warm up and prefer that.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

In my opinion the warm ups are good for making sure guns, gear, and ammo are functioning properly. And, getting to know some new folks.

They're included with the main match fees around here.

Competitors coming from sea level to EOT should take advantage of warm up matches.  Some are surprised how low humidity and altitude affects their performance.

Competitors coming from sea level to EOT should take advantage of warm up matches.  Some are surprised how low humidity and altitude affects their performance.

Being from New England, I can relate.   When I was at EoT a few years ago, the high altitude was what bothered me more than anything else.  I'll admit that once I got borderline dehydrated, but I realized it and had some water and quickly recovered.   This was during side match day.   But from day one to the end, I was always a little short of breath if I exerted myself too much.  Had to move slow or the thinner air would tire me out.

Being from New England, I can relate.   When I was at EoT a few years ago, the high altitude was what bothered me more than anything else.  I'll admit that once I got borderline dehydrated, but I realized it and had some water and quickly recovered.   This was during side match day.   But from day one to the end, I was always a little short of breath if I exerted myself too much.  Had to move slow or the thinner air would tire me out.

Oh yes. When we went to "Hell on Wheels" two years ago, we arrived at least three days early. I would like to say it was part of our strategy for the altitude difference, but we were also visiting a son stationed at F.E. Warren.

When it was time to shoot we were very glad we had those days to adjust. Where we are in central Illinois the altitude is 700 feet. At the home court of Assassin it is just over 6000. That's a big jump for two old timers.

By all means go out and shoot Hell on Wheels.

Assassin and his folks will treat you right.

Just give yourself time for the altitude difference.

Archived