SASS Wire Forum

New California earthquake worries!

Trailrider #896

It seems (or seams) that geologists/sysmologists have found a new, mayor fault (in addition to the rest of the social and political ones) in California.  This one intersects a bunch of others, including the San Andreas fault.  If this one lets go, it could cause a temblor of 8.0 or greater on the Richter scale, and could affect the area from L.A. to San Francisco!    :o  Scientists still don't know how to predict when "The Big One" will occur, but say you could have at least 20 seconds worth of warning!  What is really worrisome to those of us in Colorado is...this information might cause a further exodus from the Left Coast to Colorado!  And we don't need any more of that than we already have! :(

It seems (or seams) that geologists/sysmologists have found a new, mayor fault (in addition to the rest of the social and political ones) in California.  This one intersects a bunch of others, including the San Andreas fault.  If this one lets go, it could cause a temblor of 8.0 or greater on the Richter scale, and could affect the area from L.A. to San Francisco!    :o  Scientists still don't know how to predict when "The Big One" will occur, but say you could have at least 20 seconds worth of warning!  What is really worrisome to those of us in Colorado is...this information might cause a further exodus from the Left Coast to Colorado!  And we don't need any more of that than we already have! :(

20 seconds is just about how long it would take to moon Sacramento

It isn't a new fault, but unusual movement on the Garlock Fault.  It's a left lateral, strike/slip fault that runs from the San Andreas to the Death Valley Fault.  

How the Ridgecrest quakes could move the Garlock and San Andreas faults
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/10/22/unprecedented-movement-detected-on-california-earthquake-fault-capable-of-8-0-temblor/
 https://video.foxnews.com/v/6117890074001#sp=show-clip

It's all California's Fault

:ph34r:  I live about 16 miles north of the Garlock fault.  Here in Ridgecrest we've been getting aftershocks which are felt, noticeable, worrisome, but thankfully not powerful enough to cause more trouble.  It does keep sensitive folks on edge somewhat.  I had to set my phone app which records quake activity so that it ignores anything less than a 3 on Richter scale.

If I'm up and moving around it takes 3.6 to 3.8 to be noticed. 

Walked into the house the other day and my son, sitting on the couch, asked "Did you feel that?"  No, thankfully, I didn't notice it.....

Hoping we can ride it out again when the front half of California so deservedly falls into the sea.  And also hope all our CAS pards are well inland at some big shoot when it happens!

Hey Trailrider....I left California and relocated to SW Colorado 20 years ago, not because of the earthquakes. I left because of the politics! I didn't bring any left coast liberal ideas to my new home either.

Just sayin............

Hey Trailrider....I left California and relocated to SW Colorado 20 years ago, not because of the earthquakes. I left because of the politics! I didn't bring any left coast liberal ideas to my new home either.

Just sayin............

Well said- some folk just 'paint' with to wide a brush. -_-

We never aligned with the 'west-coast-stupid', and sure didn't bring it with us when we moved to Missouri :excl: <_<

OLG 

Well said- some folk just 'paint' with to wide a brush. -_-

We never aligned with the 'west-coast-stupid', and sure didn't bring it with us when we moved to Missouri :excl: <_<

OLG 

Well...not West-coast anyway :P:D:lol:

:ph34r:     I didn't bring any left coast liberal ideas to my new home either.

:ph34r:  We tried to relocate to Southern Utah, 1988 to 1992,  and everyone we ran into was fearful of our California plates.  After a while, one of the neighbors came over and said "Ya know, at first we wuz afraid you might be one of them ENVIRONmentalists.  But it turns out you folks are OK."

We went over to 'the farm' every 3 weeks or so to mow all the grass and weeds , and just plain enjoy being there.  From the grape arbor we could see the skyline of Zion Park just 12 miles away.  Watching the colors change as day ended was far better than any television,,,,,

On one 3 day spurt of cleaning up fence lines and mowing and starting our compost pile, the area was experiencing some record heat.  For us, 105 at 3500 feet was a piece of cake, being used to Ridgecrest and MUCH more heat, and we were out mowing away and raking and all when I noticed NO ONE was visible, anywhere.  No neighbors, no vehicles moving, nothing.

I told my wife perhaps we were desecrating some local holiday or something.

Later on, during conversation with a neighbor we discovered everyone had been laying low inside due to the extreme heat, and they all thought we must be madmen for even being outside, let alone exerting ourselves.  Had a good laugh over that.  Told them we wanted to be there to enjoy what they had as far as politics went.

Sadly, in early1992 we were unable to meet a balloon payment, and literally "lost the farm."  It was 14.5 acres and constituted the SE portion of Virgin township, and straddled the Virgin river.  It was our dream for retirement. 

Oh, well,  still dreaming.....  and only one of us has retired:(.

Just sayin............

When we got here in 1969, after 3-1/2 years in Montana, Denver was a "cowtown".  Had bumper stickers saying, "Don't Californicate Colorado!"  Well. they done it!  We should have put up bob wire fences on the borders...right after you and yours got here!  Didn't somebody write words to a classic melody, "Blue, blue, my state is blue" or something like that! :(  Aside from what's going on in Foggy Bottom, the libs here want to put an end to fracking, and the traffic is almost as bad as the nineteen months I spent working in the South Bay area in 1971-73!  I don't worry about SpaceX's satellite swarm obstructing the heavens...can't see many stars due to light pollution anyhow!

Oh, well...

You all have a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year!

When we got here in 1969, after 3-1/2 years in Montana, Denver was a "cowtown".  Had bumper stickers saying, "Don't Californicate Colorado!"  Well. they done it!  We should have put up bob wire fences on the borders...right after you and yours got here!  Didn't somebody write words to a classic melody, "Blue, blue, my state is blue" or something like that! :(  Aside from what's going on in Foggy Bottom, the libs here want to put an end to fracking, and the traffic is almost as bad as the nineteen months I spent working in the South Bay area in 1971-73!  I don't worry about SpaceX's satellite swarm obstructing the heavens...can't see many stars due to light pollution anyhow!

Oh, well...

You all have a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year!

My parents were camping in Gunnison, Colorado just as I got out of the Navy's nuke school in 1975. I saw those same bumper stickers that you mentioned.

Won't it be great when we are all dead and you folks won't have anyone to b**** about anymore? It'll Be Awesome! :D

Oh wait...then you'll have Oregon, Washington, Maryland, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Connecticut and others...never mind. You'll still be happy. No worries...:P

This should be renamed to Idaho Worries! Please don't Kalifornicate my Idaho!!!  :wub:

What is really worrisome to those of us in Colorado is...this information might cause a further exodus from the Left Coast to Colorado!  And we don't need any more of that than we already have! :(

If the "Big One" happens Colorado will likely have lots of Pacific beachfront, so I really don't know what to tell ya...

I just retired as an Architect who specialized in healthcare facilities. 90% of my work was in California. After the Sylmar quake where a few hospitals were closed for various things failing the State in 1993 passed legislation requiring all hospitals to meet a certain seismic safety requirement. If they didn't meet it the requirements by 1997 they would loose their license. The state fault system looks like a road map. 90% of the hospitals failed to meet the requirements. It covered the structural frame, the utilities, and the equipment. To this day they have kept extending the deadline. Why because many of the hospitals would go out of business because of the cost to seismically upgrade their facility. The issues ranged from complete collapse to all systems failing.'

The fun part was when explaining this to a client they would ask, 'how long before the big one hits'?  I would look at my watch and say, 30 seconds from now or 300 years. No one knows.

Ike

Archived