SASS Wire Forum

Looking for video on hammered shotgun shooting

Smiling Wolf

A while back I saw a video of a guy shooting a hammered SxS and he was very good. He would slide his left hand back and cock the hammers and open the action in one move. If anyone can steer me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

S.W.

Not all hammer doubles can be cocked and opened this way.  Tall hammers set close together and somewhat vertical is the key.  The Cimarron 1878 is probably the most adaptable to this method.  I have copied T-Bone's method and use a CZ-USA Hammer Coach gun.

Here is my performance at cocking both hammers and working the top lever.  It's in slow motion so you can see better what I'm doing.  :unsure:

Here's a video of me training this afternoon. I'm making plenty of mistakes and I'm still getting used to the bandolier but it shows a variation on TBD's technique from the video posted above. I shuck while he rotated and shucks. He's faster by a good margin and there's plenty of other differences between what he's doing and what I can do.

On a good day of practice I can get 4 off from the table under 4 seconds. One of the more costly mistakes I'm making is closing my left hand around the barrels. I normally don't do that but the video doesnt lie.

Smiling Wolf,

You can see me shooting my TTN Hammered Double in several episodes on my YouTube channel, including this one:

I use it most often in Plainsmen or Frontiersmen events (it used to be my “go to” main shotgun before I got an SKB.  But, what’s a story for another time. ;))

Archived