SASS Wire Forum

Am I the only one that doesn’t like New Year’s Day?

Pat Riot

NOTE: THIS IS HUMOR. I am not completely serious...well, a little...

My family thinks I am weird as do my limited number of friends and I am pretty sure y’all definitely know I am weird, but I really cannot get excited about New Year’s Day...this year or any year. 

I have never liked New Year.

The only benefit I see is I get a day off work. 

Look at it:

1. It’s wintertime. 
2. The day is short. The days are too short. 

3. People bug you about resolutions, but no one follows them, so why bother? I wish they would resolve to shut the hell up...and keep that one resolution. 

4. It’s wintertime 

5. It’s the end of a wonderful holiday season. The end of, not part of, in my book. When people say “Happy New Year” what they mean is “The holidays are over. Depression will set in. You’re screwed!”

6. People get all cheery about “starting fresh”, “starting anew”, “time for change” (most people never change or do anything new they just get obnoxious about doing something new for a while then go back to being whatever they were on the next bad weather day after New Year’s Day)

7. It’s wintertime 

8. We have no real holidays to look forward to for months and...it’s wintertime. 
9. Hell, I was born in January and I don’t even look forward to my birthday so why should I give a rip about New Year’s...because it’s wintertime...And, I get another year older! That was fun when I was a kid. Now? Not so much...
10. Meh...who cares?!

11. It takes me 3 months to get the year right when dating anything. I swear! Then, one day in April or May, while signing an important document I will get “New Year Palsy” and put last year’s date! Last year this happened and I actually wrote 2015. That year really sucked. Why would I write a year that really sucked? Like I said “New Year Palsy”. It’s real, look it up. 
12. I hate New Year lists...enough of this..

I really don’t like New Years. I really have no idea why. I read some online articles about the small percentage of people that hate New Year’s Day and why. They never gave a real reason. Kind of like these people who make resolutions and never follow through. They just blathered on about inane crap and suppositions...the day is too short to waste time reading this crap anyway...and it’s wintertime. Even in sunny Southern California it’s wintertime. Days are short...

I hate New Year’s Day...

I guess the one bonus is that I am not in Pennsylvania. I mostly grew up in Pennsylvania. I hated New Years even more as a kid. It was cold. Christmas was over. Nothing was open. You couldn’t play outside with your new toys, unless it was a sled and even then it was just crappy outside. Old people would squish my cold chubby cheeks with their cold bony fingers and say “Happy New Year’s, Tommy! My you are growing up so fast and you still have those baby fat chubby cheeks. You’re so cute...” I think that was the start of my love of firearms. When I was a kid I looked just like Ralphie from Christmas Story, only I had brown hair. Chubby cheeks glasses and all. My breath smelled of Lifebuoy from cursing old people with bony cheek pinching fingers...

When people wish me a “Happy New Year” I hear “It’s freakin’ cold out and the sun won’t come out but I am trying to be cheery...won’t you be miserable with me too but maintain a happy attitude...and look, I have booze...this will help! Use a depressant to enhance your depression. yay!...”

Really looking forward to Spring...

Time Capsules! That’s another thing we hear about with the coming New Year. Some goof somewhere will bring up time capsules and “Yesteryear”...now there’s a stupid word...Yesteryear...

“I am sorry Mrs Johnson you have yesteryear...and it’s incurable!” Sounds like a disease...

I wish I had a freakin’ time capsule. One I could climb into and pop out in early April and all would be right with the world. I choose early April so as not to miss our anniversary. Can’t have my wife being angry about missing that and lounging about in a time capsule for over three months. That just wouldn’t be right, now would it?

Yep, I hate New Year’s Day. I am a minority, in the eyes of some inane bloggers...I wonder if I could petition the government to create a new minority disabled status for people like me? We could have our own acronym! PTHNYD...People That Hate New Years Day! Pithnides! We could be Pithnides! And our rights would be that after Christmas we must be allowed to travel to Australia or some really great warm place with long days in the Southern Hemisphere and remain there until May (yeah, I know I will miss my anniversary but I am disabled for crying out loud. The government says so). We could then return in May to our regular lives and be free of depression and full of life and energy. We could have Pithnide marches and support groups! We could have Pithnide Lobbyists helping us to get laws passed that ensure we get to go to really great places the day after Christmas. This could be wonderful...

But I digress...

Happy New Year everybody...;)

762A0FE8-A499-4D69-B307-8EF4FAE2804F.thumb.jpeg.eacadd290070e65398934497c8768c09.jpeg

All I can say is get your @$$ on a plane and go to Australia. 

I'm even good with a taxpayer funded trip for folks with PTHNYD, with the caveat that you must take a Democrat politician with you(only you can come back).

As for me, I'm looking forward to college football games and spending a little more time with family ;)

New Years Day is okay with me it's New Years Eve that I hate! I played in bands for 30+ years and New Years Eve was absolutely the worst night of the year! (St. Patrick's day was #2) We used to call it "amateur night"! :lol: 

This time of year is starting to suck. No deer season open. No snow to track bunnies. No ice to fish on.... But hey, it's 60 degrees here so the caster is in full production in the driveway. Shouldn't have to cast till early summer.

Ham, blackeye peas, hog jowls, rice, collard greens and cornbread....what's not to like? Otherwise, it's just another day.

Rest of January sucks but February has Valentines Day and March has the Florida State SASS match. From there on out the weather starts getting hotter and then hotter/humid than hell. For me, it's the summer I don't like but hen it cools down (somewhat) and the whole process begins again.

FWIW, the only resolution I made, years ago, was to not make resolutions.....I've kept it.

New Year's Eve is our 39th wedding anniversary.
We always stay home..  plus NYE is also amateur-night, so we stay off the roads.

New Year's Day is our traditional corn bread and black-eyed peas day at my lodge.
I'm in early for setup and kitchen.

I didn't even know how to spell 'indifferent'.  Had to look it up.  I have a sign above my desk that pretty well sums it up: "Now that I'm older it was great that I seemed to have more patience.  Turns out I just don't give a sh--!"

I'd pay to have someone make a needle point thing of it so I could frame it and hang it on my entry way wall.

Howdy,

Maybe the critical thing is who or what you wake up next toooooo??????

I hear they have a hangover museum  now.

Its always been a day off for me, paid day off, whats bad about that??

Is it still a paid day off if Im retired??

hmmmm…..

Best

CR

Never really cared for it.

New Years Eve has to many weirdo's and drunks out and about.

We will go to bed like normal.

Dislike watching College football and parades on New Years Day.

But this year a SASS club not to far is shooting with a little late Christmas party after.

So we are covered for New Years Day.

Wife will make some Black-eyed Peas.

An excuse to get drunk night before then hung-over all day other than that paid day off just another day on a cale

NOTE: THIS IS HUMOR. I am not completely serious...well, a little...

My family thinks I am weird as do my limited number of friends and I am pretty sure y’all definitely know I am weird, but I really cannot get excited about New Year’s Day...this year or any year. 

I have never liked New Year.

The only benefit I see is I get a day off work. 

Look at it:

1. It’s wintertime. 
2. The day is short. The days are too short. 

3. People bug you about resolutions, but no one follows them, so why bother? I wish they would resolve to shut the hell up...and keep that one resolution. 

4. It’s wintertime 

5. It’s the end of a wonderful holiday season. The end of, not part of, in my book. When people say “Happy New Year” what they mean is “The holidays are over. Depression will set in. You’re screwed!”

6. People get all cheery about “starting fresh”, “starting anew”, “time for change” (most people never change or do anything new they just get obnoxious about doing something new for a while then go back to being whatever they were on the next bad weather day after New Year’s Day)

7. It’s wintertime 

8. We have no real holidays to look forward to for months and...it’s wintertime. 
9. Hell, I was born in January and I don’t even look forward to my birthday so why should I give a rip about New Year’s...because it’s wintertime...And, I get another year older! That was fun when I was a kid. Now? Not so much...
10. Meh...who cares?!

11. It takes me 3 months to get the year right when dating anything. I swear! Then, one day in April or May, while signing an important document I will get “New Year Palsy” and put last year’s date! Last year this happened and I actually wrote 2015. That year really sucked. Why would I write a year that really sucked? Like I said “New Year Palsy”. It’s real, look it up. 
12. I hate New Year lists...enough of this..

I really don’t like New Years. I really have no idea why. I read some online articles about the small percentage of people that hate New Year’s Day and why. They never gave a real reason. Kind of like these people who make resolutions and never follow through. They just blathered on about inane crap and suppositions...the day is too short to waste time reading this crap anyway...and it’s wintertime. Even in sunny Southern California it’s wintertime. Days are short...

I hate New Year’s Day...

I guess the one bonus is that I am not in Pennsylvania. I mostly grew up in Pennsylvania. I hated New Years even more as a kid. It was cold. Christmas was over. Nothing was open. You couldn’t play outside with your new toys, unless it was a sled and even then it was just crappy outside. Old people would squish my cold chubby cheeks with their cold bony fingers and say “Happy New Year’s, Tommy! My you are growing up so fast and you still have those baby fat chubby cheeks. You’re so cute...” I think that was the start of my love of firearms. When I was a kid I looked just like Ralphie from Christmas Story, only I had brown hair. Chubby cheeks glasses and all. My breath smelled of Lifebuoy from cursing old people with bony cheek pinching fingers...

When people wish me a “Happy New Year” I hear “It’s freakin’ cold out and the sun won’t come out but I am trying to be cheery...won’t you be miserable with me too but maintain a happy attitude...and look, I have booze...this will help! Use a depressant to enhance your depression. yay!...”

Really looking forward to Spring...

Time Capsules! That’s another thing we hear about with the coming New Year. Some goof somewhere will bring up time capsules and “Yesteryear”...now there’s a stupid word...Yesteryear...

“I am sorry Mrs Johnson you have yesteryear...and it’s incurable!” Sounds like a disease...

I wish I had a freakin’ time capsule. One I could climb into and pop out in early April and all would be right with the world. I choose early April so as not to miss our anniversary. Can’t have my wife being angry about missing that and lounging about in a time capsule for over three months. That just wouldn’t be right, now would it?

Yep, I hate New Year’s Day. I am a minority, in the eyes of some inane bloggers...I wonder if I could petition the government to create a new minority disabled status for people like me? We could have our own acronym! PTHNYD...People That Hate New Years Day! Pithnides! We could be Pithnides! And our rights would be that after Christmas we must be allowed to travel to Australia or some really great warm place with long days in the Southern Hemisphere and remain there until May (yeah, I know I will miss my anniversary but I am disabled for crying out loud. The government says so). We could then return in May to our regular lives and be free of depression and full of life and energy. We could have Pithnide marches and support groups! We could have Pithnide Lobbyists helping us to get laws passed that ensure we get to go to really great places the day after Christmas. This could be wonderful...

But I digress...

Happy New Year everybody...;)

762A0FE8-A499-4D69-B307-8EF4FAE2804F.thumb.jpeg.eacadd290070e65398934497c8768c09.jpeg

ndar.

An excuse to get drunk night before then hung-over all day other than that paid day off just another day on a cale

ndar.

I rarely ever went out for New Year’s Eve. Too many drunks and idiots on the road. What made it almost as bad were the foreign cab drivers, while sober, driving like mad to get as many fares in as they possibly could thus, adding to the idiocracy. 

Pat: You forgot to mention......IT'S WINTERTIME!!! :D

I rarely ever went out for New Year’s Eve. Too many drunks and idiots on the road. What made it almost as bad were the foreign cab drivers, while sober, driving like mad to get as many fares in as they possibly could thus, adding to the idiocracy. 

Me too

All I can say is get your @$$ on a plane and go to Australia. 

I'm even good with a taxpayer funded trip for folks with PTHNYD, with the caveat that you must take a Democrat politician with you(only you can come back).

OH NO YOU DON'T !!!!!

Y'all is mostest welcome; but you leave them demmycraps at home we gots enuff trouble here with our own governmental politicians-ution here.

'sides it's HOT & DRY ....... 

p.s. thanks for the loan of some of your :FlagAm: firefighters .... GREATLY APPRECIATED :wub:

I really like New Year's Day as the first CAS match of the year is held indoors at the NRA range in Fairfax, VA. They shoot four stages starting at noon and use rifles, revolvers and shotguns. Great start to the year. Thank you NRA.

For those who have had too much to drink, and it doesn't take much do blow a .08. AAA has a free service that is nationwide to tow your car and take your drunk ass home. If you plan on drinking and going out on New Years, I suggest you put the # in your phone. The life you save may be your own and who knows who else's.

The # here is 855-286-9246. I don't know if this # is universal across the Country. Please don't drive drunk.

Well............

Not to be too much of a contrarian but I like New Years Day because it is my FIL's birthday.  He's a great guy and deserves to be celebrated.  

Well............

Not to be too much of a contrarian but I like New Years Day because it is my FIL's birthday.  He's a great guy and deserves to be celebrated.  

Oh, don’t get me wrong. I do not begrudge anyone a nice holiday. I am the contrarian here...just ask my wife. :D

Have a great and Happy New Year. I mean that. :)

I rarely ever went out for New Year’s Eve. Too many drunks and idiots on the road. 

For 15 years I went out on New Years Eve, either in a fire rescue rig or an  ambulance. Nothing makes you love your fellow man more than being cussed at by a drunk at 2am as you cut them out of a smashed car. It is indeed amature night!

Yeah, I'm not impressed with the whole New Years thing, though we did have one heck of a cowboy NYE party at the turn of the century when Oklahoma Charlie tried to  walk across a hotel swimming pool (covered for the winter) and Pecos Pete got thoroughly soaked hoping to get him out.  Yes, there was alcohol and a double-dog dare involved.  I do like the Rose Parade but rarely get to watch it.

As a kid in NW Iowa I loved NYE. My grandparents were still in town from Colorado and we all went to my aunt and uncles big farmhouse . We spent the evening with a great buffet and played board games and watched tv football. 

All I can say is, if you're still putting "2015" on checks then you've got issues another New Year won't solve. ;)

Are you kiddin' me?  I get to ring in the new year with the bearded ruffians; then we play the hungover New Year's Day softball game - a forty year tradition!

65314165_2502680113078369_1564633766771556352_n.thumb.jpg.680edb47512303e886136593584cec8d.jpg

hey ! ......... that guy ruffian at the back don't got no beard ...... :o

That Ruffian is so tough his beard’s afraid to grow without permission. 

I like New Year's Day. A lot.

I either make time and a half plus holiday to work it or I get paid straight holiday to stay home if not scheduled to work. Makes for a better check.

That don't suck.

And the best part of working a holiday is THE BOSS AIN'T THERE!

:D

Archived