SASS Wire Forum

Hard boiled eggs

Rye Miles #13621

I like hard boiled eggs, I usually boil 4 at a time. I hate when one cracks and starts leaking out in the water! I googled (DucK Duck Go) it and found out a couple interesting ways to stop them from cracking.

1.Don't boil them until they're room temperature 

2. Prick the end of the egg with a push pin very gently to let the gas out.

anyone got anymore??

My wife has a electric egg cooker that she really likes. Cooks up to 6 eggs very quickly and perfect every time.       GW

My wife has a electric egg cooker that she really likes. Cooks up to 6 eggs very quickly and perfect every time.       GW

They never crack with this cooker??

How do you cook them?

I watched my daughter boil eggs one time. She got a pan of water to boiling, then lowered the eggs into the boiling water on a slotted spoon, and left them to boil for several minutes.

The first time I boiled eggs - I was probably in my forties - I looked up how to do it in a cookbook. It said to put the eggs in a pan of water, bring the water to a boil, then take the pan off the fire. Leave the eggs sit in the hot water for 5 or 10 minutes. So you weren't actually boiling the eggs - you let them steep.

I've never had an egg break doing that, and they've always been completely cooked.

They never crack with this cooker??

She says rarely.   Likes the way you can set for different styles , hard or soft etc.    When I had to do it at work, I did the same as others have said. Place eggs in pan filled with cold water, bring to a boil and remove from heat.  Do not remember breaking any      GW

How do you cook them?

I watched my daughter boil eggs one time. She got a pan of water to boiling, then lowered the eggs into the boiling water on a slotted spoon, and left them to boil for several minutes.

The first time I boiled eggs - I was probably in my forties - I looked up how to do it in a cookbook. It said to put the eggs in a pan of water, bring the water to a boil, then take the pan off the fire. Leave the eggs sit in the hot water for 5 or 10 minutes. So you weren't actually boiling the eggs - you let them steep.

I've never had an egg break doing that, and they've always been completely cooked.

Ding, Ding, Ding...We have a winner!

More details are needed.

use the right size pot, 4 eggs maybe 2 qt. Not 4 or 8. The eggs should make one layer and just about fill the bottom of the pot, for 8 to 10 eggs a 4 qt pot is better.

put eggs in the pot, cover with an inch of tap water. Bring to a boil. Remove the pot from heat. For L eggs let sit for 12 minutes, M 9, XL 15. Remove eggs from water immediately and cool, either on ice or under cold running water.  Should be just right.  If you like a softer yolk subtract a few minutes.

I get my hard boiled eggs at Walmart, already done, no peeling and ready to go, 6 to a package, I eat 2 everyday, tried boiling them one time, didn't turn out very good, granted it is cheaper to boil them yourself compared to buying them already done, but I like it done and ready to go and no hassle.

All for now JD Trampas

I bought my wife one of these:

Egg Timer Color Changing, Egg Timer for Boiling Soft or Hard Boiled Eggs, Bpa Free https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HHFXRHJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_w1lcEbER3DMR2

If you put the eggs and the “timer” in cool tap water then put them on the stove I haven’t seen eggs crack. 

I bought my wife one of these:

Egg Timer Color Changing, Egg Timer for Boiling Soft or Hard Boiled Eggs, Bpa Free https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HHFXRHJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_w1lcEbER3DMR2

If you put the eggs and the “timer” in cool tap water then put them on the stove I haven’t seen eggs crack. 

They try to crack when you are not looking 

eggs (up to a dozen at a time) into pot, water, little salt, little vinegar. Bring to a rolling boil, then remove, cover, and steep for awhile (I usually go about 12 minutes). Drain and immerse in iced water.

Vinegar seems to keep any seepage from a crack from going all over the pot.

I usually cook one extra egg to fish out to check if they're done enough.

More details are needed.

use the right size pot, 4 eggs maybe 2 qt. Not 4 or 8. The eggs should make one layer and just about fill the bottom of the pot, for 8 to 10 eggs a 4 qt pot is better.

put eggs in the pot, cover with an inch of tap water. Bring to a boil. Remove the pot from heat. For L eggs let sit for 12 minutes, M 9, XL 15. Remove eggs from water immediately and cool, either on ice or under cold running water.  Should be just right.  If you like a softer yolk subtract a few minutes.

My son does it like that but he has had one crack here and there. 

My other son said he boils them for 10-11 minutes then removes them and puts them in a bowl of ice cubes (a chef told him this) BUT he still gets one cracking now and then!

I bring the water to a boil and gently deposit 4 eggs in the pan with a slotted spoon VERY GENTLY and leave them boil for about 8-10 minutes. They come out cooked okay but I'm trying to figure out how to cook them without one or two cracking here and there. I've tried buying "better" eggs, free range eggs and cheap ones and no matter what kind I get I will get one or two that crack sometimes, not all the time but enough to be a pain in the butt!:blink:

My wife uses the Instapot - no cracks, and for some reason the shells never stick to the egg, and peel easily.

LL

Steaming makes eggs easier to peel.  However, I get a few cracked eggs with my Instant Pot.   

Steaming makes eggs easier to peel.  However, I get a few cracked eggs with my Instant Pot.   

I agree.  Don't boil, steam them.

Bring water to boil in steaming pot, put eggs in the steaming cradle, cover the pot and steam for 12-13 minutes depending on egg size.  Chill the eggs in ice water bath when done.

Not only are they cooked completely, they are ridiculously easy to peel.

I agree.  Don't boil, steam them.

Bring water to boil in steaming pot, put eggs in the steaming cradle, cover the pot and steam for 12-13 minutes depending on egg size.  Chill the eggs in ice water bath when done.

Not only are they cooked completely, they are ridiculously easy to peel.

Do they ever crack when doing it like this??

Do they ever crack when doing it like this??

I've been steam-cooking my "boiled" eggs for about two years now.  Occasionally I will get one that has cracked, but there isn't much leakage.  I suspect that the ones that crack had some hairline cracks before I put them into the pot.  As others have said, they come out perfectly and are very easy to peel.  Even fresh eggs are easy to peel.  
I use a two gallon pasta pot (soup pot with strainer insert) and can cook 14 to 18 eggs at a time.  Put the eggs in the insert, put about an inch of water into the pot and bring it to a boil, put the insert in, cover, cook for about 13 to 16 minutes.  Take it to the sink, pull the insert, dump the water from the pot, put the insert back in and start running cold water onto the eggs.  When it is almost full cut the water flow back to little more than a trickle. Then I'll crack and peel the eggs in the water.  

I suspect that the eggs that are cracking already had a crack to begin with. I always inspect eggs before I buy them and average at lease one damaged egg for every two dozen I buy. Sometimes it is a very small crack and hard to see while on others the damage is obvious.

Wrongway tells me, "boil them in salt water for easy shell removal."

She starts with cold water and lots of salt.
Bring to a rolling boil, start your timer.
Turn the heat off, cover and let stand for the boiling time.
Transfer to ice water after the boiling time is complete.

This makes for very easy to peel hard boiled eggs.

Put eggs, room temp or right from refrigerator into water. Water can be hot or cold. Bring water to boil. Once boiling, shut off heat and let sit for them minutes. Perfect hard boil every time.

i owned a restaurant for a bit and was in charge of making egg salad. Must have boiled thousands of eggs in my time.

Asked the bunkhouse boss and she said that once the water comes to a full boil turn the heat down.  You want the water boiling but if the heat is too high the eggs get bounced around and that can cause them to crack.

This works for me, no cracks or leakage.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Put 1 egg in each of 12 muffin cups.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
  4. Plunge baked eggs in a large bowl filled with ice water until cooled completely, about 10 minutes.

Eggs are not engineered items, some have flaws for many different reasons. There are variations in shell thicknesses. Some will crack.  

There was a time, 2015. I had been cooking a lot. Breaking about 3 dozen eggs a week, not a lot by commercial standards but certainly a lot for most people.

i was in Siberia in January. I helped a friend make blini. I grabbed an egg to crack it. Whack, the shell did not crack. My wrist was finely tuned to the American egg industry. Siberian egg shells were sometimes harder.

there is a variance among eggs.

I have found that steamed eggs can be ridiculously easy to peel.  Roll 'em to break the shell about the "equator," and usually the shell comes off in two cup-shaped pieces. Sometimes still connected!  :)

was in Siberia in January. I helped a friend make blini. I grabbed an egg to crack it. Whack, the shell did not crack. My wrist was finely tuned to the American egg industry. Siberian egg shells were sometimes harder.

When I was living by Clearlake, CA a friend of mine had some chickens that I looked after when she was out of town. I got paid in eggs.  The shells were VERY hard.

When I was living by Clearlake, CA a friend of mine had some chickens that I looked after when she was out of town. I got paid in eggs.  The shells were VERY hard.

Must depend on breed of chicken and diet. We get eggs from a local farmer and the shells are very fragile.  

Must depend on breed of chicken and diet. We get eggs from a local farmer and the shells are very fragile.  

He needs to be feeding them some oyster shell. Makes egg shells nice and strong.

He needs to be feeding them some oyster shell. Makes egg shells nice and strong.

That is exactly what she did.

Fresh eggs don't peel as well as older ones.  One year, SIL gave me an egg cooker for mother's day.  He said it would be a joke, except he used his every day.  "Boils" up to 6 eggs at a time & they are perfect -- every time.  If I'm boiling more than six I usually put them in a pot on the stove - absolutely go for the steaming method.  A little vinegar in the water keeps cracks from leaking.  My deviled eggs have a following.

Archived