SASS Wire Forum

Making an omelet

Alpo

Does anyone have a recipe for one that requires separating the eggs?

I just finished watching Ninotchka, and there was one scene where they were making an omelet. And she separated the eggs. That just seemed strange to me.

Maybe they do it different in Russia.

Oh, heck no - I use the entire eggs... usually including some of the shell!  :rolleyes:

But I have seen "[egg] whites only" omelettes on menus - evidently for folks more health-conscious than me.  :)

I've run across it in older cookbooks.  It makes the omelette fluffier and bigger.  Separate the eggs, whip the whites to stiff peaks, fold into beaten yolks, cook as a normal omelette.

To my mind it isn't worth the effort, however, since it does increase the volume of the eggs it would make them stretch a bit farther.  

Mrs. Lose makes them that way nearly every Saturday and Sunday for me and they do turn out much fluffier, I guess you’d say. I’m to lazy to do it that way when I’m on my own and they are never as good as hers. She insists that that is the only way to make an omelette.

does increase the volume of the eggs it would make them stretch a bit farther

Well, they were feeding four people with four eggs, so stretching it was probably a good plan.

But I have seen "[egg] whites only" omelettes on menus - evidently for folks more health-conscious than me.  

Russia, 1937. I doubt they were worried about cholesterol. :P

Archived