SASS Wire Forum

Even gunsmiths get it wrong

Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L

Took my grandsons shooting today.  After the 3rd round of 45 colt , main spring broke. Removed backstrap and found this.  This gun was tuned years ago by a prominent gunsmith, who filed the mainspring down. Notice the file marks? Classic stress crack due to filing across the spring. 

20191228_154326.jpg

Took my grandsons shooting today.  After the 3rd round of 45 colt , main spring broke. Removed backstrap and found this.  This gun was turned years ago by a prominent gunsmith, who filed the mainspring down. Notice the file marks? Classic stress crack due to filing across the spring. 

20191228_154326.jpg

Maybe it was not the Smith I have worked more than a few main springs and that cross file marks have the factory that made its name all over it!

I studied Springs Many Years ago when I was deeply involved in Racing Suspensions........

And That picture is a Classic Example of what NOT to do to a spring!

He created a pressure point with a sharp angle Exactly where that spring failed!

As you said, it did last for several years, but it could have lasted for several more

if he'd just rounded out that angle, like he did on the other side of the spring.....

I agree with Von Dutch... I doubt the file marks had anything to do with the spring failing.

File Marks aren't desirable.......

but they would have to be pretty deep and concentrated in one area to cause a failure like that.

Most likely grinder marks rather than file.   Those should run length of spring and be more finely finished (finer grade of final stone).

Some Smiths are even Human ....

But ,,,,,, they must be perfect , Right .....

And yes the spring was poorly done ...

Merry Christmas to one and All ...

Jabez Cowboy

There are gunsmiths that go through formal training and are certified.   Then there are others that work as apprentice for many years accumulating experience overseen by masters.  Then there are others that are self-taught.  And some are only practiced at one type of gun or just stock making or metal work or bluing or AR builds - on and on. I'd venture to guess that there are few old master gunsmiths that can handle about any gunsmith task. 

Yep, "hourglassing"  isn't the " recommended " way for 'tuning".  I actually take material away from the "belly" of the mainspring to thin it  rather than "narrowing" the mainspring or removing from the "backside" of the spring.  The belly is "compressed" whereas the back is opened up .  .  . !!   I will narrow the spring if I need to to "zero in" but it is narrowed full length. (No, I haven't always done it this way)

Mike

Archived