SASS Wire Forum

Heritage Rough Rider 22 Hammer Spring

Ozark Okie

Have been spending some time taking down and looking over the Rough Rider 22s I recently purchased  from Stumpman. Gun seems to be pretty well put together and decent parts finishing, looking forward to shooting it. Biggest BUT is the hammer spring.....it takes a major effort to cock the gun. Does anyone have any experience or advice on lightening the hammer spring? I can find information online for reviews, shooting and disassembly but nothing on lightening the spring...so what to do. Don't really trust myself to know where or how to bend it...or how much or where to grind it thinner. I will appreciate any comments, suggestions regarding rough riders in general, and especially on how to lighten the hammer spring.   Thanks. OO  

Don't really trust myself to know where or how to bend it...or how much or where to grind it thinner

Since you're close to Slick McClade, I'd suggest you let him tune up the gun, including softening that hammer spring.   A .22 sometimes cannot be lightened a lot, since it has to have enough energy to fire those rim fire cartridges.

Send him a request at his web site:

http://www.slickmagicguns.com/contact.html

Don't bend leaf springs, though.  They are hardened and tempered, and often break rather than take a lighter set.   They get lightened by removing metal in the right spot.

Good luck, GJ

Garrison Joe, thanks for the feedback and suggestion to contact Slick....just wouldn't have thought to contact him on the 22. 

OO 

Archived