SASS Wire Forum

EDC 9mm for CCL

Lawdog Dago Dom

Took a family member to the range as he had just passed his CCL course and wanted to try some 9mm pistols for EDC (every day carry). He found the Glock 43x to small for his hands. Glock 19 was a little bit better fit. Really liked the feel of the S&W 439.

He's leaving for home tomorrow and I would like to give him some makes, models to try before he buys at his local gun shops.

With his preferences in mind, what would you suggest he try on for size?

Thank you.

LDD

I usually carry a Glock 43. Sweet little gun, short on mag capacity. Everything is a trade off, weight vs size, mag cap, etc. There are no right answers. Best thing would be have him go to a range with lots or guns or a LARGE gun shop, and try them or at least feel them. Is he short, tall, skinny, fat, etc. One of my best friends is so big he can't shoot a 1911 properly, his hands are too big. Has to pull the trigger with his middle pad. I love a 1911, but pretty quickly decided it was too much to carry every day. A .380 in your pocket is more effective than a .45 at home in the safe.

JHC

He's about 5 foot 10 or 11. Athletic build. Plays rugby and lifts weights. Can deadlift over 500 pounds.

I would have to say large hands as they just barely fit the Glock 19, but gave him a good grip on the S&W 439.

He does plan on going to a large gun shop with a range.

I just wanted to give him some models to start with.

Thanks for the reply.

What about a Glock 45? A 9mm with a G17 frame and a G19 sized slide. I wear XXL gloves my hands are pretty big. The G19 frame is a little short but the larger frame is perfect for me for shooting...not so much for concealing. ;)

What about a Glock 45? A 9mm with a G17 frame and a G19 sized slide. I wear XXL gloves my hands are pretty big. The G19 frame is a little short but the larger frame is perfect for me for shooting...not so much for concealing;)

There's the challenge, finding something that is somewhat of a compromise. Do you opt for better shoot ability or better concealment?

You might have him look at something along the lines of a Sig P229 in a DA/SA, or a P320 Compact in a striker. I personally love the feel and pointability of the H&K VP9SK if he wants a striker fire, and it comes with three different back straps and sets of side panels also. All are wide and when I carried the H&K it was a challenge to keep concealed. The Sig P225 is a single stack DA/SA but still has a bit of size to the grip.  Just a few thoughts off the top of my head.

Everyone will have their opinion.

Here is mine since carrying from 1999.

I know a fellow that Carrie's a full size Les Baer daily, but few people will carry anything larger than a .380, a mini-9 or a J-frame.  It ends up being heavy or bulky.  For most, it requires changing to bulkier or looser clothes.

My suggestion is to start with a smaller gun

This smaller gun can be used for summer carry later on when a person will commit to carrying a larger gun.

I do not pick a carry gun for how it shoots.  I have range guns.  My carry gun is picked for (in order) reliability, safety, carriability and then shootability. 

I have large hands and like the S&W Shield models. I have the 9mm and the .45 acp which is slightly larger than the 9. Both are soft shooting, accurate and can be concealed easily. Multiple models are available: ported or not, high vis sights, custom shop, etc. 9mm is a good choice because factory ammo is so cheap and is readily available anywhere. 

I've carried 1911's, both Government and  Officers framed, Browning Hi-Powers, Walther PPk's, Kahr K-9's, and currently the Glock G-43.

For the G-43 (which I agree is a mite small in the grip) I added Pierce +1 mag base plates (same size as the stock finger extension) and

now the HYVE +1 grip.  These give me more control, allowing the full hand to grip the gun.  +1 and +2 base plate replacements require

an increased strength mag spring, but make the gun easier to grip.

My grip size is Large according to the glove makers sizing, around 9 inches circumference around the knuckles.  Having just recently

handled the new Glock G43X and G48 I can say I like the grip for comfort, but at that point you start getting into G19 size.

There are a number of Sig pistols now competing for the EDC role, being compact and comfortable to carry and shoot.

Likewise Springfield Armory has some great 1911 pattern pistols smaller then the Gov't model.

I'm in the process of assembling a 9mm CCO, a commander slide on the Officers Model frame.  Similar guns are available from

Dan Wesson and Fusion Arms. 

The Glock 42 in .380 is a sweet shooting little pistol, as is the Browning 1911-.380. 

The best idea (and already mentioned) is to go to a good rental range and try a variety of them in the ammo load you'll likely carry, to

be able to get a good idea of fit and recoil and follow up, etc.  Holsters, belts and mag carriers will be available for most anything made

these days, so it's more about finding one you like and dressing to match.

The good news is, even if the one you settle on turns out to not be as good in the long run as you'd have hoped, we are allowed to

trade them in or sell them and get others!

Tell him best of luck!

Shadow Catcher

I've carried 1911's, both Government and  Officers framed, Browning Hi-Powers, Walther PPk's, Kahr K-9's, and currently the Glock G-43.

For the G-43 (which I agree is a mite small in the grip) I added Pierce +1 mag base plates (same size as the stock finger extension) and

now the HYVE +1 grip.  These give me more control, allowing the full hand to grip the gun.  +1 and +2 base plate replacements require

an increased strength mag spring, but make the gun easier to grip.

My grip size is Large according to the glove makers sizing, around 9 inches circumference around the knuckles.  Having just recently

handled the new Glock G43X and G48 I can say I like the grip for comfort, but at that point you start getting into G19 size.

There are a number of Sig pistols now competing for the EDC role, being compact and comfortable to carry and shoot.

Likewise Springfield Armory has some great 1911 pattern pistols smaller then the Gov't model.

I'm in the process of assembling a 9mm CCO, a commander slide on the Officers Model frame.  Similar guns are available from

Dan Wesson and Fusion Arms. 

The Glock 42 in .380 is a sweet shooting little pistol, as is the Browning 1911-.380. 

The best idea (and already mentioned) is to go to a good rental range and try a variety of them in the ammo load you'll likely carry, to

be able to get a good idea of fit and recoil and follow up, etc.  Holsters, belts and mag carriers will be available for most anything made

these days, so it's more about finding one you like and dressing to match.

The good news is, even if the one you settle on turns out to not be as good in the long run as you'd have hoped, we are allowed to

trade them in or sell them and get others!

Tell him best of luck!

Shadow Catcher

I love my 43, carry it almost exclusively. One reason is the little sucker is a tack driver of all things, and I have confidence in it. First time I shot it was only about 5 to 7 yards, but I was worried because I couldn't see any bullet holes. That's because they were clustered in a little half dollar size group in the middle of the bull. I have little bitty woman hands so it feels good to me, light, flat, and easy to carry. FYI I ordered two things called MagGuts which have a weird spring, but they increase the capacity by one round with the factory base plates. Has never malfunctioned. Might want to look into it. 7 vs 6 is a pretty significant difference. One of the only drawbacks to the little gun, so I always carry a spare mag. Like anything else, there's a trade off somewhere.

Su amigo,

JHC

Too many REAL GOOD pistols out there.

A couple of my favorites is the SIG P229 or SIG P320.

Another very good, hi-cap carry pistol that I have and really like is the Walther Q5.   Mine is the polymer,

but the also come in steel and weigh a little more....and cost about twice also.

..........Widder

I love my 43, carry it almost exclusively. One reason is the little sucker is a tack driver of all things, and I have confidence in it. First time I shot it was only about 5 to 7 yards, but I was worried because I couldn't see any bullet holes. That's because they were clustered in a little half dollar size group in the middle of the bull. I have little bitty woman hands so it feels good to me, light, flat, and easy to carry. FYI I ordered two things called MagGuts which have a weird spring, but they increase the capacity by one round with the factory base plates. Has never malfunctioned. Might want to look into it. 7 vs 6 is a pretty significant difference. One of the only drawbacks to the little gun, so I always carry a spare mag. Like anything else, there's a trade off somewhere.

Su amigo,

JHC

Howdy Capt.

I've converted all my magazines to 7 round mags recently, trying various brands to see which I liked best for shooting grip and reliability.

So far my favorite by price is the Pierce for $11, for shooting comfort is the HYVE +1, and for concealment is the Taran Tactical +1.

My HYVE is in black.  I've seen the MagGuts advertised, but haven't tried them yet.  All these have been tested for several hundred rounds

with my Fed HST 147 carry load, reliably.

I also carry a spare mag, for the same reasons.

It's a great little pistol, no doubt about it!

Ride Safe,

Shadow Catcher

HYVE+1.jpg

Pierce+1.jpg

TaranTactical+1.jpg

Took a family member to the range as he had just passed his CCL course and wanted to try some 9mm pistols for EDC (every day carry). He found the Glock 43x to small for his hands. Glock 19 was a little bit better fit. Really liked the feel of the S&W 439.

He's leaving for home tomorrow and I would like to give him some makes, models to try before he buys at his local gun shops.

With his preferences in mind, what would you suggest he try on for size?

Thank you.

LDD

Maybe I'm late on this, but I bought my wife a Sig P365 for Christmas. Before giving it to her, I carried it a couple of times and shot some rounds through it to break it in. It is very accurate, shoots great, and is small enough to put in a pocket (with a holster) yet "big" enough to carry on the hip. Slim too!

It comes with two ten round magazines, but you can get 12, 15, and now 18 rounders for it.

I wouldn't mind one for myself, and may get one for me to carry concealed. I mean, its hardly noticeable to me when I carry it, yet shoots more than well enough to have confidence if I'd get into a serious altercation requiring the expenditure of powder and lead.

In my opinion its much better than Glocks, which are quite thick and have a funky grip angle.

Maybe I'm late on this, but I bought my wife a Sig P365 for Christmas. Before giving it to her, I carried it a couple of times and shot some rounds through it to break it in. It is very accurate, shoots great, and is small enough to put in a pocket (with a holster) yet "big" enough to carry on the hip. Slim too!

It comes with two ten round magazines, but you can get 12, 15, and now 18 rounders for it.

I wouldn't mind one for myself, and may get one for me to carry concealed. I mean, its hardly noticeable to me when I carry it, yet shoots more than well enough to have confidence if I'd get into a serious altercation requiring the expenditure of powder and lead.

In my opinion its much better than Glocks, which are quite thick and have a funky grip angle.

Not late at all. He is not opposed to a Glock. He will shoot them, but they just don't feel right for every day carry to him. His gun, his preference. He does like the feel of a steel frame, which is why he really liked the feel of the 439, and it fit is hand better. So, I hope the gun shop clerk has some patience because he will try many pistols before he buys. BTW, his brother's roommate is a LEO and carries the Sig 365 off duty, so he will get a look at that.

I've been carrying this Ruger for a few weeks now, off duty.  It's growing on me.  I carry two full size magazines for reloads, and 8 + 1 in the gun.  

That said, I played around with a Dan Wesson Guardian at the LGS yesterday...and I can feel the hook setting.  Lightweight frame, Commander length slide, night sights and bob tail.  It has an appropriate Dan Wesson price to go with it.  

ruger lw officer first target.jpg

Dan-Wesson-Guardian-38-super-black-bobtail-left.png

If he likes the 439 then the problem is solved.  It is a little large (in my opinion) for everyday carry, but it is a good, solidly reliable pistol.

Duffield

If he likes the 439 then the problem is solved.  It is a little large (in my opinion) for everyday carry, but it is a good, solidly reliable pistol.

Duffield

I agree. But he knows it's a big decision.

I don't want him to buy one on Friday and see something else on Tuesday.

Encouraged him to try (and shoot) all he can before he decides to get one.

After decades of carrying either a 1911 or HiPower I have switched to a Ruger SR9c, It fits my hand nicely and has 10 + 1 in the gun with 2 -10 round magazines (NY (un) safe act requirement) as back up. If you live in free America you can get a 17 round magazine with a sleeve that turns the grip into full size. They are a very good choice that won't break the bank.

My EDC is a Colt Commander in .45, but if it must be a  9mm then I would go with a Commander in that caliber.  As big as he is he shouldn't have any trouble carrying it concealed.  The grips should be big enough for him and no offense to the Glock owners on site, but the 1911 trigger is quite a bit better than a Glock trigger.

Admittedly when it's hot during the summer and I'm fishing I often scale down to a S&W Model 37 in 38 special, but I don't think you can get one of those in 9mm.  I've found I can shoot them a lot like I do my Vaquero's.  Cocking the hammer with my left thumb gives me a very short light trigger pull.

My EDC is a Colt Commander in .45, but if it must be a  9mm then I would go with a Commander in that caliber.  As big as he is he shouldn't have any trouble carrying it concealed.  The grips should be big enough for him and no offense to the Glock owners on site, but the 1911 trigger is quite a bit better than a Glock trigger.

Admittedly when it's hot during the summer and I'm fishing I often scale down to a S&W Model 37 in 38 special, but I don't think you can get one of those in 9mm.  I've found I can shoot them a lot like I do my Vaquero's.  Cocking the hammer with my left thumb gives me a very short light trigger pull.

That may be a good compromise. Last time he was here he shot dad's .45 Gold Cup and liked that. Could be a nice combination of what he likes in the Colt and the 439.

He's a smart guy with firearms, ex-military, so I know he will make an informed decision. Just been out of the handgun loop.

Thanks for the reply.

Is he wed to 9mm? Cause if he has large hands and needs a bigger grip then the Glock 21 or a Para Ordnance make some 13 + 1 and 14 + 1 pistols in 45 acp that work well with larger hands.

Personally mostly carry a Glock 19 or Kimber 1911 combat carry - have also occassionally carried a Kel Tec P11.

For those that have a Glock 48 or 43x - but wish for a higher capacity there is a company making 15 round magazines for them now. https://shieldarms.com/glock-43x-48-15-round-mag

I love my 1911's and carry one often but have to say that I personally don't shoot them any more accurately than my Glock 19. May be interested in a Glock 48 or 43x in the future if the 15 round aftermarket mags work well and come down some in price. 

All part of the eternal search for the perfect carry gun and holster. 

Our search for the 'perfect' carry gun (pistol) might often be the biggest/baddest gun we left at home lock in the

safe.....WTSHTF.   :o

I'm a big proponent of 'hot round' carry pistols because when you might actually need one, its good to have 

it.   And I love the .357 SIG's and 10mm stuff for semi autos.  

But all that being stated, if a person is very proficient even with a .22 pistol, they can put their 10 shots

in a pie plate circle before most others can put 1 or 2 with same accuracy with a favorite center fire pistol.

As many have mentioned, its a good thing to try a lot of handguns on the market and then settle

on caliber preference.......AND THEN PRACTICE!

All this of course, is just my opin.

Good luck.

..........Widder

Archived