SASS Wire Forum

Canadian Firearms Law questions

Sarge

My wife gifted me with a Black bear hunting trip to Ontario Canada next fall.  Thinking about what I might want to take for a rifle and was researching Canadian firearms laws.  I went to their website and was trying to figure out what is restricted and what is prohibited.  Kind of a strange definition of a fully automatic firearm.  The site has a link for a list of prohibited firearms, but when I try the link it brings me right back to the home page.  Thinking about taking a Remington 742 that belonged to my Dad.  Anyone know if that is considered fully automatic under Canadian law?  How about an AR platform in .450 Bushmaster?

I would definitely make a phone call and speak to someone that is an official, get their name and follow up with an email for them to respond to and get any information in writing. 

Just some info:

https://www.alloutdoor.com/2015/03/02/hunting-guns-canada/

https://www.thoughtco.com/laws-for-taking-guns-into-canada-3321846

Canadian laws read like California laws. Sheesh! No help here...

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/F-11.6/

HERE! I found phone numbers. I would call the Chief Firearms Officers in the Provinces you’ll be visiting:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/contact-a-chief-firearms-officer

The Canadian Firearms Centre, {CFC) regulations, at the moment, only allows handguns, AR's, AK 47, FN/FAL's etc. and all their look-a-like platforms, to be shot on an approved range. Not for hunting.

A semi-auto with no more than a 5 shot magazine may be used.

Definitely no handguns unless you are going to a sanctioned match and have an Authorization To Transport.

For a rifle or shotgun, you will also likely have to have a PAL, (Possession and Acquisition Licence)

Canadian laws about transportation, use, storage etc. are quite different from what you might be used to.

Call the Canadian Firearms Centre (CFC) at 1-800-731-4000 and follow the prompts for details of how to obtain a PAL for Canada and what firearms, magazines and ammo you can import.

A couple years ago R. J. Law went to Ontario to shoot a match.  IIRC he posted a link somewhere that gave the information you are looking for.  You might want to contact him.  I second the idea of contacting someone official in the Canadian government to get an official answer.

I assume your hunt will be guided, if so contact your outfitter. I'll bet they are up to date with what you can hunt with and all the paperwork you need.

The Canadian Firearms Centre, {CFC) regulations, at the moment, only allows handguns, AR's, AK 47, FN/FAL's etc. and all their look-a-like platforms, to be shot on an approved range. Not for hunting.

A semi-auto with no more than a 5 shot magazine may be used.

Definitely no handguns unless you are going to a sanctioned match and have an Authorization To Transport.

For a rifle or shotgun, you will also likely have to have a PAL, (Possession and Acquisition Licence)

Canadian laws about transportation, use, storage etc. are quite different from what you might be used to.

Call the Canadian Firearms Centre (CFC) at 1-800-731-4000 and follow the prompts for details of how to obtain a PAL for Canada and what firearms, magazines and ammo you can import.

Thank you Cold Lake Kid.  Exactly what I was trying to find out.  I've traveled for matches before and am familiar with the PAL.  But couldn't figure out what was/was not prohibited.  

If you get them on the line, they should be able to tell you what if anything you want to bring is an issue.

Check with any Canadian air carriers if you are using any Canadian airlines etc. Some of them are pretty anal a$ well a$ expen$ive to fly with a gun or ammo, it you currently can do it.  Flying with ammo may be a No-No. I'm not sure and I drive where ever I'm going and use a private charter for any fly-in trips.

Can you get a refund? Doesn't sound like it's worth it, I wouldn't go through all that bullcrap!:angry:

I went to Newfoundland last year to hunt Moose and Caribou.  I got the proper forms from the websites listed above, filled them out and that was all that the Canadian border officials cared about.  No fuss or hassle, those gentlemen were gentlemen, very polite and professional.

Be sure and register your guns and equipment with US Customs before you take them out of the US or you will have to leave them in Canada.

Enjoy your trip.

Duffield

Archived