SASS Wire Forum

Tequila Shooter

I'm reloading my 12 gauge SG hulls with APP since I'm shooting in the FCD category.  My SG likes Remington Nitro Gold hulls and I'm tired of searching the interweb in a hopeless effort looking for used hulls.  So, I'm asking the knowledgeable pards about new hulls.  I'd love to buy new Remingtons, but I've never been able to find them.  So, that leaves me with the choice of Cheddite, or Fiocchi.  I use Winchester 209 primers and very seldom have a problem with them, so I'm concerned with 2 things reloading primer compatibility and shucking shot shells ( as I said Nitros go in and shuck out easily ).  Does anyone have any answers or have gone through the same issues?  

Grafs and Sons had some new primed hulls for about 6c each.  Considering that they were primed,  it was plenty cheap. But I don't see them now.  The least expensive I see are around 10c each primed - depending on quantity. 

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/80965

Have you considered brass hulls?  

I have reloaded a few of the Fiocchi clear hulls with APP and they seem to work well.  I am awaiting a shipment of new primed Fiocchi hulls to try. Once they arrive I'll post my results.

I have had good results with Remington Gun Clubs and Federal Top Gun Hulls. You can buy Gun Clubs from Precision Reloading

Tequila, have you tried the Remington green STS hulls?  In my experience they have been equivalent to the gold hulls, and are easier to find at matches.   When not loading brass,  I like gold Remmies for BP just because they look more like brass but use the green as well.

Stop by your local shotgun clubs (trap, skeet or sporting clays).  If you make friends with the managers, you will be pleasantly surprised at the number of 12 gauge STS hulls that can be found.  Even offer to help clean up their grounds after big matches.  Usually a big score.

Good luck, GJ

I considered them, but I don't have a clue how to load'em.

Lots of videos out there on YouTube.   I even put one up.  Everyone does it a little different.   

https://youtu.be/_tJfWRwNv00

Plastic hulls are a lot simpler load, shoot and toss.  I am usually the one to dump the trash after our local matches.  I can normally recover enough STS and AA hulls to replace those I've tossed.   Last year a non reloader gave me a huge trash bag of once fired STS hulls so I'm fixed for life. :huh:

Gun Club are reasonably easy to find - free or otherwise.  

I  found Remington Nitro hulls for 7-cent each plus shipping on Gunbroker.  There were three current auctions for such hulls.  They are not hard to find.  Personally I use Gun Clubs for practice and local matches, saving my Nitro and STS hull for big matches.

I don't find fired hulls available online either. Near as I can tell there are no smooth finish, tapered hulls except STS. Two with a plastic base wad, simulating a taper for the same wad, are Win AA HS and low brass Fiocchi. There, only the Winchesters have a smooth finish that is advised to be the most reliable for shucking. A black powder shooter may be kind of stuck, but the best way I can get hulls for smokeless is to buy a case of new shot shells and then fire and reload them a few times. The Win AA HS have loaded a number more times than the Fiocchi I bought. The Fiocchi get fried quickly and become too brittle to crimp more than once or twice.

My efforts with new hulls have been a frustrating search for the right wad and a desirable loading result. With some Federals (ribbed) I wound up with a pricey crimp starter and a shot card to achieve a decent crimp.

Keep in mind that you will be messing with your prized wad and crimp settings on your press.

I  found Remington Nitro hulls for 7-cent each plus shipping on Gunbroker.  There were three current auctions for such hulls.  They are not hard to find.  Personally I use Gun Clubs for practice and local matches, saving my Nitro and STS hull for big matches.

Yep, you can find once fired STS at several sites...….I've only got about 2000 left, time to start looking again ;) Good Luck:)

"..

Stop by your local shotgun clubs (trap, skeet or sporting clays).  If you make friends with the managers, you will be pleasantly surprised at the number of 12 gauge STS hulls that can be found.  Even offer to help clean up their grounds after big matches.  Usually a big score.

Good luck, GJ..."

i will second that , most here would be happy to let you take all you want - they wont sort or charge you - you sort and help pick up the hulls are yours , amazing how many once fired are left lying about , 

I am told the STS are brass based, where the Gun Club are steel based.
One of the guys I shoot trap with says he prefers the STS because they are easier to resize during reloading.

I've been shooting Gun Club cuz they are cheap, and I am accumulating a stash for reloading.

I use all brass shells from Rocky Mountain Cartridge. They are awesome, easy to load and eject plus they look great on my belt. I have had many of them for over a decade.

I only use Remington STS/Nitro for reloading for CAS. I quit reloading for trap and now get new Nitro's from WallyWorld at about $7+ a box. Use these hulls for CAS. Anyhow, I earlier bought a bunch of once-fired STS's from Ballistic Products. They show them in stock for $10.99 per 100.  If they are out, you can usually Google some. I prefer Ballistic Products as they sometimes have specials on shipping.   

Last year I was in local Wally-World and spotted STS for $6 something a box.  I took a picture and sent it to a pard that only shoots STS factory and did not reload.   He bought maybe 10 flats.    He's the one that loaded me up with once fired hulls.  

I read somewhere that Wally-World and Remington had some kind of purchase agreement.  I don't know what the prices are now that they have went nuts. 

" Wally-World and Remington had some kind of purchase agreement.  I don't know what the prices are now  "

Still $6.98 a box.  Same as the last 4 years.

" Wally-World and Remington had some kind of purchase agreement.  I don't know what the prices are now  "

Still $6.98 a box.  Same as the last 4 years.

As the kids would say, "No brainer".  Grafs price is $8.40.  MidwayUSA is about $9.80.  

I just wish they had a low recoil load in that lineup. 

Sawmill Mary will only shoot Fiocchi Lite loads.  

Good luck with that.

I shoot Trap at my club every week, and I am one of the 'managers'. We actually call ourselves Openers because we are the guys who show up early to set up the field, take the money, and then put the equipment away at the end of the day.

I can tell you with authority that neither Remington STS hulls or the gold Nitro hulls ever wind up laying on the ground to be picked up, or dumped in the trash. All our regular shooters know they are the best hulls for reloading, and if they don't take them home themselves, somebody like me will be hovering behind them as they dump their empties into the trash barrel. Plenty of Gun Clubs and Estates to pick out of the trash barrel, but never any STS or gold Nitros. Don't find many Winchester AA hulls in the trash either, they get snapped right up too.

Yes, the Remington STS hulls are the best, particularly for Black Powder loading. The plastic is the same as the gold Nitro hulls, just a different color. The plastic these hulls are made from is very slippery, and ejects the easiest out of a SXS, even when the chambers are cruddy with BP residue.

I usually buy a few cases of STS hulls when they go on sale, which is not very often. I empty them once at the Trap field, then load them with BP until they are too cruddy to reload any more. Usually get four or five BP loadings out of them.

Just an idea,  if you have a Wally-World in your area,   stop in and check price and availability if Remington STS or Nitro.  You may have to talk to someone to check inventory or get specific load.  See what it would cost you to break them down, dump the powder and reload with cup and shot.

I was looking for Federal paper hulls and couldn't find any once fired. So I bought a few boxes of loaded ammo.  I broke somemdown for the components.  

break them down, dump the powder and reload with cup and shot.

I NEVER break down a good factory load - except by shooting it.  I can find LOTS of things an STS load will work on.  That is  where most of my cowboy and WB hulls come from, too - a WallyWorld STS load fired at sporting clays target, and then earmarked for cowboy loading.

Good luck, GJ

I have been using the 8 mm base Cheddite hulls from Ballistic Products for a couple of years, loaded with real BP & roll crimped.  They don't work very well with star crimping as the crimp tends to mushroom after a few days.  We use the virgin roll crimped Cheddites exclusively at big matches, because they shuck reliably & you can throw them away (roll crimping a hull more than once is problematic at best).

BPI runs the primed Cheddite hulls on sale pretty regularly.  The cheapest are here - https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Cheddite-VALU-HULL-12ga-275-8mm-tin-plated-head-case_2200/productinfo/1391272SHC/

This is the hull we use for "big" matches - a little more expensive but shuck more reliably than the red hulls - https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Cheddite-12ga-2-3_4-8mm-brass-primed-and-skived-100_bag/productinfo/1391272/

Federal hulls & BP work really well, they hold their crimp & shuck easily.  I have never had a problem with either of our shotguns shucking the ribbed Federal shells.  Same with the Remington gun clubs.

Holler

I have got good use out of Hurters 

Shells from Cabelas. 

I buy a case of ammo .

Shoot them for hunting and or Trap , and then reload them with APP for SASS .

Some you can load a couple times some you cant .

They work for me .

They might work for you ?

Just a thought .

Rooster 

Switch to gun clubs.  They are plentiful for picking up on the clay ranges.  I can easily pick up way more than I shoot. 

they do have two down sides, both because of the steel heads.  First they rust.  Don’t ever pick up wet shells, they will rust.  Two some presses have a harder time resizing the steel.  I don’t have an issue on my pw and have been loading gc for years as they are plentiful and a single pc hull like the sts.  

Switch to gun clubs.  They are plentiful for picking up on the clay ranges.  I can easily pick up way more than I shoot. 

they do have two down sides, both because of the steel heads.  First they rust.  Don’t ever pick up wet shells, they will rust.  Two some presses have a harder time resizing the steel.  I don’t have an issue on my pw and have been loading gc for years as they are plentiful and a single pc hull like the sts.  

I have a Sizemaster do yo think that would work with steel?

I have a Sizemaster do yo think that would work with steel?

Absolutely.

I use mine on all my Federal Top Gun and Remington Gun Club hulls.  After getting a bad lot of factory shells I now run all of them through my Sizemaster.

I have a shell checker and adjust my sizemaster to resize the bases just enough that they fall into the checker. Will make your collet last a lot longer if you don't resize any more than necessary.

Will any of the quality gun greases (Tesla, etc) work on the Sizemaster collet?

No they are not up to the task. 

MEC sellas a grease or you can use use Anti-Seize lubricant. 

I have been using Permatex Copper Anti-Seize.  Apply it to the outside of the fingers just above the ring with a q-tip. A light film is all that is needed. Reapply as soon as you feel or hear any resistance when opening the collet.

Did some research and Tri-Flow Synthetic Grease came highly recommended on several forums.

I have used Permatex Anti-Seize for decades.
This is my go-to product when I need to disassemble water pump bolts, etc, after 20 years in place.
Works great.

My thoughts about the collet is it is a sliding surface, and as such a candidate for a high shear strength grease.
I found this test data for shear strength on the Chuck Hawks web site.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/gun_lubes.htm

I went trap shooting today with Two Rivers Jack.
One of the pards went dumpster diving and found a huge cache of AA 20-gauge hulls.

I thought, "what the heck" and went along... found two boxes of Nitro hulls.

After all that, T.R.J. says, "I've got a thousand I'll give ya..."
Score.

I'm pretty happy with Estate hulls for reloading. My SKB seems happy with them. Prefer then to AA.

I'm pretty happy with Estate hulls for reloading. My SKB seems happy with them. Prefer then to AA.

What recipe do you use with the Estate hulls,    mostly which wads do they take?   Tapered or straight.     Thanks    GW

Archived