SASS Wire Forum

Wrecked my pickup F-150

I wrecked my 2007 Ford F-150 on 23 Dec 19.  I fell asleep at the wheel.  I thank God that I didn't hurt anyone and that I walked away without a scratch. 

Location: I-5 South in California about 5 miles from the base of the Grapevine.

I had been visiting my brother's family in Half Moon Bay, California.  My brother passed two years ago and Dec 20th would have been my brother's 66th birthday.  My wife stayed in Arizona while I was away.  I couldn't sleep so I decided to take off and head home about 2:00 am. 

My pickup was a good reliable truck the 12 years I owned it.  Faithful throughout the time I owned it, and on our last ride it absorbed all bangs, breaks, and scratches for me.

The trooper's who worked the accident were great guys.  So were the towing guys.  All commented that I was lucky to have walked away without a scratch.  Tip: If you get stupid and fall asleep at the wheel, drive into a vineyard.  It's a slower stop.

Again, I am so very thankful that I hurt nobody.

Photos:

I had tried backing out of the vineyard but got stuck after about two truck lengths and that's were I was when the pictures were taken.

taaMLG.jpg

sIa7wV.jpg

2fCmZI.jpg

Glad that you were not hurt. Looks like you were able to hit the brakes before leaving the road. You should probably contact a good accident lawyer. It's obvious that the vineyard was at fault due to having a vineyard so close to the road with any no trespassing signs. Only kidding of course. Thanks for the reminder about drowsy driving.

Glad all that was hurt was the truck & some fencing. I've never fallen asleep at the wheel, but a couple times I got so tired, I started seeing things that weren't there - like rounding a corner and seeing a white limousine parked crosswise in the highway. A BIG limousine. Like ten feet tall and sixty feet long big. Dreaming with my eyes open, I guess.

I don't think that will buff out.  Glad your Guardian Angel was awake and on watch for you.  Could have been much, much worse.  Glad you are OK

The real lesson is if you find yourself nodding off don't say to yourself "Just a few more miles to the next exit, I'll pull off there."  Pull off the road where you have space and take a nap.  Yeah, some LEO will likely wake you up checking on you.  You might even get a ticket depending on where you are parked, but it beats the heck out of risking life and limb.

Some gratitude to Him above for walking away unhurt.

And, if the paint color for your truck was Merlot, it was just trying to go back home.

Glad you're okay, and that you drifted to the right instead of left. Once on a rainy night I was driving home with my wife and was so tired I literally couldn't keep my eyelids propped open, and ended up having to pull over and let her take over (even though she still only had a learners permit at the time).

Funny how you can't stay awake when driving or at work, but as soon as you finally make it home and get into bed you can't sleep. :blink:

I fell asleep on a bike once. Not a Schwin, a Honda. It was on a long road trip after a busy inebriated night. It couldn’t have been for more than a second or two. I found myself on the gravel shoulder on US1 about 10 miles from Key West. Amazingly, I was upright and still had hold of the handlebars I backed off the throttle put both feet out and coasted to a stop without the brakes. I didn’t sleep for a long time after that.

Sorry about the damage to your truck but I’m thankful you didn’t drift into the oncoming lane. Me too.

God still has plans for you then. 

I'm glad you was spared and 

No one else was hurt. 

Birdgun,

Baptist are suppose to go to sleep in church, not while driving.... ;)

Sure glad you are o.k.

I think its commendable that you were visiting your Brothers family.  

..........Widder

Glad that you are OK and that the vineyard was there.

Wine is definitely good for one's health in some circumstances!

Duffield

DANG BIRDGUN!!  That was a nice truck!!’ A shame it got messed up. Long as you’re okay! 

But that’s what you get for trying to drive like me !! :rolleyes:  :lol:

Glad you are alright. I can relate. After driving professionally since 1972 until The middle of October...I have had several close calls. I was lucky. I have seen too many that weren’t. 

I don't think that will buff out.  Glad your Guardian Angel was awake and on watch for you.  Could have been much, much worse.  Glad you are OK

A little Heavy Duty Simonize and some rubbing it will be just like new.

Blackfoot

Even though I have hit the "Thanks" icon on each post, I want y'all to know it wasn't hit offhandedly.  I sincerely thank each and every one of you for your comment. 

I am still sending up prayers of thanksgiving to God. 

It has rattled me more than I would have expected. 

Baptist Category rule:

Match DQ for falling asleep during safety briefing or when on the firing line!

Back in mid-September I had a little spin out on an onramp.  Hydroplaned, overcorrected, did a 180, fetched up against the curb.  Broke the bead on two tiers, which meant a tow and having them remounted.

I'm STILL skittish on that ramp.

Even though I have hit the "Thanks" icon on each post, I want y'all to know it wasn't hit offhandedly.  I sincerely thank each and every one of you for your comment. 

I am still sending up prayers of thanksgiving to God. 

Yup, it's one thing to come out of something like that without a scratch. But then when you have time to reflect and realize what could have been.....

It's the Trucks Fault ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

It was looking to get some Wine ....

What did the vineyard owner have to say ????

Jabez Cowboy

Archived