SASS Wire Forum

Mod 94 30-30 Round under carrier

Texita Draw  SASS#77940

I have a Winchester 94 (not a pre-64) When I work the lever it will feed a round under the carrier on the 2nd or 3rd round.

Any ideas on a fix? I am very familiar with the '73 and '66 disassembly but not too familiar with the 94.

Thanks in advance.  Have a great weekend.

This may help. 1894

And this Dis and Reassembly 94

Thanks Flash. The animation is very helpful. I can see where/when the live round is slipping under the lifter. Now to figure out why, and how to fix it. 

The cartridge stop on the front of the link is worn.  When removed, weld up the tip up and then file to stop the cartridge as the link drops out of the receiver, but allows a cartridge to feed onto the carrier when the lever lowers the carrier and the link rises back into the receiver.  Or... check with Numrich and see if they happen to have a link out of a .30-30 that they've cannibalized.  Depending upon the year your rifle was made, (AE or top eject), you'll need either a screw (same screw as the hammer, btw), or a pin and set screw.  Any link from any year 94 or 94AE will work, just depends on your receiver for it's retention.

Let me check my spares, I may even have an extra link... It may require the same welding and filing (fitting) as one you'd get from Numrich.

I've built 7 Winchester 94s from parts... Even shoot one of 'em in long range competition.

I had a new 94 in .44 that did the same thing when you short stroked the racking. Had to remove a screw and drop the lifter mechanism; got rid of it.

Could you give a little more detail?

Which screw and how did you lower it?

This is from the dust bin of my memory. There is  screw on the front of the left side of the receiver which holds the lever in place. Remove it and the lever assembly should drop down, freeing the cartridge. Suggest googling a Win. 94 disassembly video to see the process. Good luck and use a good screwdriver.

Check with Nate Kiowa Jones at Steve's Guns.  He's a wealth of information on that style rifle.

The cartridge stop on the front of the link is worn.  When removed, weld up the tip up and then file to stop the cartridge as the link drops out of the receiver, but allows a cartridge to feed onto the carrier when the lever lowers the carrier and the link rises back into the receiver.  Or... check with Numrich and see if they happen to have a link out of a .30-30 that they've cannibalized.  Depending upon the year your rifle was made, (AE or top eject), you'll need either a screw (same screw as the hammer, btw), or a pin and set screw.  Any link from any year 94 or 94AE will work, just depends on your receiver for it's retention.

Let me check my spares, I may even have an extra link... It may require the same welding and filing (fitting) as one you'd get from Numrich.

I've built 7 Winchester 94s from parts... Even shoot one of 'em in long range competition.

Ed Zachery :D

i sent you an email.

Without the gun in hand it will be hard to say. But, the first thing I would look at is the lever-link. This is the part that comes out the bottom when you work the lever to open the action. There is a cart stop on the front of it that sometimes wears down and when that happen you will get double feeds.
Hope this helps.

Archived