SASS Wire Forum

I'd never read a JR book or seen a JR movie. However, I somehow heard Tom Cruise played him in movies. WT*! ;)

In the book I'm reading, he is called Bigfoot and an Incredible Hulk, who is almost 7 feet tall and around 300 pounds (I forget the weight number).

BTW, so far, about 1/3 in, I like the book.  Yet, thinking of TC playing JR is Hollyweirdness maximumness.

I think Vince Vaughn or Tyler Perry, although only 6'5", would have been much better. Who would you like to see cast as JR or do you like TC?

According to the interwebs Jack Reacher is 6'5" and 215-250 pounds. Tom Cruise is 5'7".

But if you seacrh "Jack Reacher Height" a  photo of Tom Cruise appears next to the words 6 feet 5 inches

Of course it's Google...https://www.google.com/search?q=jack+reacher+height&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS839US839&oq=jack+reacher+height&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l4.4319j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I have always had a problem seeing Tom Cruise as a "tough guy". 

If you never saw a Tom Cruise movie and never read a a Jack Reacher book you could accept him as a Reacher. And apparently a lot of people are in that category (at least as far as not reading the books). The movies made a lot of money.

As far as a proper actor for the roll, there aren’t many 6’5” behemoths available.

Jason Momoa and Vin Diesel maybe, but I think it would be better to go with a relative unknown. They have too much GOT/Aquaman and Furious fame.

Reacher is not only big but not exactly pretty. And not many big, un-pretty boys in Hollywood these  days.

Obviously Duke in his prime would have fit the Bill. Or Lee Marvin.

It would be&easier. If Price had made him six two or so. ;)

I agree with UB that a relative unknown would be great.  And remember Reacher is no kid; he has been around the block a few times.

So, giving an aging gym rat a shot a stardom would be cool!  

Despite having initially spoken well of Tom in the role, Lee Child (aka James Grant) has said that Cruise will never again play Jack Reacher. 

Now, if Greg Kinman (Hickock45) was a mite younger they could've recruited him to play Reacher - the dude's 6' 9"~!!  Good Lord - that's like five foot twenty-one inches tall!  surprised.gif

Mebbe his son, John - the guy on the left?  He's an inch taller than Pop.  :)

986169.png

Lee Marvin or George Kennedy would have worked well, late 30s, early 40s.

I kinda like the idea of John Cena as Jack Reacher.

Not Tom Criuse. Ever.

I don't think Tom Cruise is even 5'- 7". Saw him in Evergreen Co. many years ago with the foul mouth Aus. gal he was married to at the time. He was pretty small next to his wife.

The guy from the Mummy movies, Brendan Fraser, might be a better fit for the part.

C'mon now... I'm 5' 6" and as tough as they come. In fact just this morning I must've scared off my bunny slippers because I couldn't find them anywhere. <_<

It’s not so much his height as it is his demeanor. He just doesn’t exude “tough” to me. Sneaky or Scrappy? Yes. Tough? No.

But that is darn funny...did you find them? :lol:

Vince Vaughn 

I think among current actors, he could pull it off. I was never super impressed by him until I saw him in Hacksaw Ridge. Now I think he could do it 

I don't think Tom Cruise is even 5'- 7". Saw him in Evergreen Co. many years ago with the foul mouth Aus. gal he was married to at the time. He was pretty small next to his wife.

I know for a fact that he usually wears elevator shoes out in public, so he may very well be even shorter than he admits.

I've read all the Reacher books.  I was very disappointed with Tom Cruise in the role.  My Choice would have been someone like The Rock or John Cena.

Dolph Lundgren from one of the Rocky films

ST

Waaay to old. 62.

Audie Murphy 5’5”, Alan Ladd 5’6”, Randolph Scott (prayerful pause) 6’5”. I read that when they filmed Shane, they had special walkways for Ladd to walk on.

I saw a pic from a set and the female lead was standing in a trench.

Supposedly he was born around 60 or 61 so a little old but not much

ST

Nov 3, 1957. I saw a movie he did 4 or 5 years ago. A B grade zombie movie. Every time he had to run they cut the camera away and then showed the end of the run. Looked like he was pretty stove up. 

I  meant Reacher was born around 1960 or so

ST

I forgot how long Price has been writing the books. 

Audie Murphy 5’5”, Alan Ladd 5’6”, Randolph Scott (prayerful pause) 6’5”. I read that when they filmed Shane, they had special walkways for Ladd to walk on.

I read that they were quite happy when they cast Veronica Lake in This Gun For Hire (and six other movies) because 5'6" Alan was much taller than 4'11" Veronica.

This-Gun-For-Hire-1941-movie.jpg

There is an actor named Kevin Durand. Been in quite a few movies. I think he is supposed to be 6'5" or taller.  He would be my choice.

I really like Durand. He would be good.

Didn't Tom Cruise play R2D2 in Star Wars?

I think TC has been a stunt double for Danny Devito a time or two.

:D

Would it have MADE as much money with someone else in that role??

Maybe. Maybe not.

There goal was to make money. They put a person in that role to do just that. And they did.

Don't think many people have even heard of the book.

If you take out the niggling detail of size, TC did a fine job.  Watching his performances, I had no problem seeing Jack Reacher.

Other suggestions:

Liam Neeson, using a character similar to his Taken role.

Jason Statham, similar to his 'driver'character.

My favorite would be Denzel Washington using his Man on Fire character without the alcoholism.  (Is Denzel the right height for ya?)

Having read all the Reacher books, (I don't know if that's a good thing or not), I never bought into TC as Reacher.  It just didn't work for me.

A modern actor to replace TC?   Kevin Durand might be an interesting choice.  He's a tad over 6'5" with a wide and varied acting background.  Some of which underplayed his height, like he did with a raspy, halting voice, in "The Strain".  Plus, he stays in shape. 

serveimage.jpg.79dc66852f59bfd9f565e41b4d3711f0.jpg

Would it have MADE as much money with someone else in that role??

Maybe. Maybe not.

There goal was to make money. They put a person in that role to do just that. And they did.

Don't think many people have even heard of the book.

The Reacher series is extremely popular. Lee Price has become a very rich man because of it. The problem with Hollywood is that they think the viewing audience only cares about stars. In fact, a quality movie is what makes money, e.g. Peter O’Toole in Lawrence of Arabia. Sean Connery in the Bond series. But it’s easier just to cast a big star  and have a crap production. They’ll never learn.

Archived