SASS Wire Forum

Got your nose in a good read lately?

What with the weather having been on the dreary side these past few days from a Gulf of Mexico storm dumping occasional rain on the State of Florida, a good read was in order.

Started on this one.

Very interesting read so far.

image.png.8139202d07b351be2343e7656a0903b1.png

Received this one for Christmas; good read so far, and a very intriguing true story.

https://www.amazon.com/Professor-Madman-Insanity-English-Dictionary/dp/B002DMJUMW

One of the primary contributors to the Oxford English Dictionary - a retired American Army officer and surgeon - turns out to be an inmate of an asylum for the criminally insane in England.  

LL

@Sixgun Sheridan

Billy the Kid actually did an autobiography? :huh:

The premise is that Pat Garrett never shot and killed Billy the Kid.

The "Kid" disappeared until around 1948 when he met with an attorney and returned to New Mexico to get the pardon he was originally promised.

A gift from my son.

Joe Posnanski is best known as a sports writer, but he can make any subject interesting.  I didn’t know I was interested in Houdini until I began reading about him!

72DBDCA4-45AA-4D24-8718-5F883CA6A870.thumb.jpeg.be4a4aacdff1507f0518371f014dfc3e.jpeg

I  just got a new edition of:     "Applied Ballistics for long range shooting" Edition 3   I have editions 1 and 2 also. For those interested in precision long range shooting with modern rifles the series of books he authors are extremely valuable. 

Some fascinating history here.  I was familiar with some of his toys, but not nearly all of them.

I'm particularly smitten by the Winchester 42 .410 with "MG" carved into the butt of the pistol grip...Martha Gellhorn.  I'm convinced that their relationship never had a chance because they were two peas in a pod!

"Ad"

IMG_1638.jpg

The "Kid" disappeared until around 1948 when he met with an attorney and returned to New Mexico to get the pardon he was originally promised.

So it's fiction!

SIDEWINDERS, The Butcher of Bear Creek by William W. Johnstone

Just finished it, great!!;)

@Rye Miles #13621

So it's fiction!

Well that's the big question.

A 90-year old William H. Roberts had started writing his autobiography, and although I've only just begun reading it, so far he had the scars and physical appearance of the 18-year old and had the ability to recall time frames and events, etc. that one could conclude only Billy the Kid would know.

As for the Pat Garrett scenario, there appears to be extensive issues of his self-promotion, cover-up of who he actually shot and as always some government corruption thrown in the mix. Haven't gotten to those details as yet.

That's what makes this an interesting read.

Well that's the big question.

A 90-year old William H. Roberts had started writing his autobiography, and although I've only just begun reading it, so far he had the scars and physical appearance of the 18-year old and had the ability to recall time frames and events, etc. that one could conclude only Billy the Kid would know.

As for the Pat Garrett scenario, there appears to be extensive issues of his self-promotion, cover-up of who he actually shot and as always some government corruption thrown in the mix. Haven't gotten to those details as yet.

That's what makes this an interesting read.

It's all been done before in Young Guns II or III, a guy named Brushy Billy was supposedly Billy the Kid. This has been a rumor ever since Billy was killed by Pat Garret which I believe he was. This is just another rumor to sell a book! I hope you didn't pay too much for it! :lol::P

@Rye Miles #13621

It's all been done before in Young Guns II or III, a guy named Brushy Billy was supposedly Billy the Kid. This has been a rumor ever since Billy was killed by Pat Garret which I believe he was. This is just another rumor to sell a book! I hope you didn't pay too much for it! :lol::P

Nope - Free Kindle Download. :blush:

Thanks. ;)

The meeting took place in Roswell, NM where the proceedings were officiated by a Mandalorian judge. Shortly after a brief encounter with Elvis at a local diner, he boarded a spaceship and disappeared.  :D

The meeting took place in Roswell, NM where the proceedings were officiated by a Mandalorian judge. Shortly after a brief encounter with Elvis at a local diner, he boarded a spaceship and disappeared.  :D

And... Roswell, NM is the dairy capital of the Southwest...
And smells like it, too.

2017.09.11.Roswell.19.Vib100.720pix.sfw.jpg

Rereading "The Cowboy and The Cossack" for the umpteenth time.  Written by Clair Huffaker.  Wish someone would make a movie out of it.

The best movies are always adapted from novels. When Hollywood simply decides to wing it and make up the story as they go is when we end up with turds like the last Star Wars trilogy. I've never read the pre-Disney era novels, but everyone I've spoken to told me that they were far and away better than what we ended up seeing on the big screen.

Jack Reacher series, from 1st to last.

I just found a new series that I’m enjoying by Nick Petrie. 3 books so far. This is the first. Lee Child likes it too.

4CB00C80-4878-4004-952C-DEFB757C7040.jpeg

Lee Child writes great stories.
One of the things I like is he embeds true facts along with the story.
Tidbits of information.. I look them up, find them to be bonafide.

I've been scoring JR books at the local Goodwill as they come in.
One of my lodge brothers donated the entire series to the local book reseller, but they want $6 each.
I take them at the Goodwill for $1.99, minus 10% for senior citizen Tuesday.

The amusing part is seeing the visual of Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher.
My first exposure to JR was the pair of Cruise movies, which I own.
Cruise has the Reacher bad-ass down pat.. but I'm chuckling over his visual after reading the books.

I make it a point to read in order.
The JR books don't need to be done this way.
I find there appears to be at least one or more intervening books before the next one picks up with the character that ends two books previously.

I'm going to look into the one Utah Bob recommend above.

I go to the local library at least once every two weeks. I always get two books in case I don't like one of them!:P

First one in series. I have read all 89 books.

Jess Williams.jpg

Archived