SASS Wire Forum

My Christmas present from me to me

Three Foot Johnson

I found a ratty M12 on Gunbroker a couple weeks ago described thusly:

Winchester model 12 12ga RUST head to toe, seems to function as it should, bulge in barrel about 5 inches from muzzle, bulge and tear in magazine tube and a piece of wire on mag tube end???

It arrived yesterday, and I went to work. The rust was inconsequential, as it'll be a Wild Bunch shotgun, but actually cleaned up quite well. The stock has blue paint speckles all over it, the barrel bulge wasn't bad and I was going to shorten it anyway (ended up at 22 1/2"), I turned out a plug to drive into the mag tube to raise the dents and a little work with a 2 oz hammer straightened things out nicely, the wire on the mag tube was simply due to someone installing the tube 180º off and not being able to turn it into the threads, so they wrapped a piece of coat hanger wire around the mag tube hanger to hold it in. :wacko: Never did find a tear or split in it... 

I pulled the trigger group and bolt and found probably the dirtiest gun guts I've ever seen. It looked like dried out Cosmoline under all the gunk, with the same hard Cosmoline looking goop in all the external nooks & crannies. It still needs a front sight (didn't have one), and an "action slide handle retaining spring" (the little leaf spring clamped in the mag tube hanger) but overall, I'm pretty pleased with it. The spring is absolutely unnecessary, and nobody knows what it does anyway, so... The prevailing theory is it keeps the slide in the forward position when the barrel is off and stored in a bag or case. 

My winning bid? $116.00 :)

Made in 1959.

Model12_01.jpg

Aww...  I have a particular fondness for Model 12's, and it's heartwarming to read that this poor, mistreated orphan has found a happy and nurturing home~!  ^_^

Well Done, Mister Johnson!  ;)

Lucky dog, lucky dog. Always wanted a 12, have never found many even for sale, if they are they usually want an arm and a leg. If you want to sell it at a profit let me know!

Long ago I bought a ratty old 870 from a pawn shop cheap. Blue was all but gone. Took me 2 hours to clean it (it had grass seeds caked in the top of the receiver.) It had like a 24 inch barrel. I don't know if someone stuck it in the mud and blew the muzzle and cut it or what. I really wanted a 20" vent rib and a glow worm bead. I sent the barrel off to a place that actually soldered on a steel rib, blued it, and mounted the glow worm. Looks kinda funny with a new barrel and near white receiver, but the old gal wound up slicker than snot on a door knob after a good clean and lube, was WELL worn in! Spent more on the barrel than the gun (I forgot to mention choke tubes installed.) Turned out to be an A-1 quail and defense gun.

JHC

Lucky dog, lucky dog. Always wanted a 12, have never found many even for sale, if they are they usually want an arm and a leg. If you want to sell it at a profit let me know!

Long ago I bought a ratty old 870 from a pawn shop cheap. Blue was all but gone. Took me 2 hours to clean it (it had grass seeds caked in the top of the receiver.) It had like a 24 inch barrel. I don't know if someone stuck it in the mud and blew the muzzle and cut it or what. I really wanted a 20" vent rib and a glow worm bead. I sent the barrel off to a place that actually soldered on a steel rib, blued it, and mounted the glow worm. Looks kinda funny with a new barrel and near white receiver, but the old gal wound up slicker than snot on a door knob after a good clean and lube, was WELL worn in! Spent more on the barrel than the gun (I forgot to mention choke tubes installed.) Turned out to be an A-1 quail and defense gun.

JHC

They are pretty common around here usually go for between 200 to 450

Congratulations Santa !

An old and dear friend sold me his for eighty bucks.
Ten years later he asked if I would sell it back, and I did, for the same price.
I would never have parted with that fine old gun otherwise.
Looking at yours, I felt like I was looking at a lost and half starved puppy, the kind that looks at you with big and hopeful eyes.
Delighted you took this one in and got it cleaned up and taken care of.

• 2 weeks later...

I do love the Model 12. In the 1950s and '60s, a Mod. 12 in 16 gauge was my dad's main shotgun. He gave it to me in later years (in favor of his Beretta over-and-unders) and my oldest son owns it now.

Just a great shotgun. Many memories.

Archived