SASS Wire Forum

Pistol Barrel Length and Caliber

Hot Iron Hill

The best thing is to handle a few different revolvers in different barrel lengths. I myself like a 5.5 inch barrel. Just seems to balance better for me. A lot of people I know prefer the 4 5/8 barrel. I have a friend that shoots 3.5 inch. Some prefer 7.5 inch. Not a one size fits all. As far as what caliber...some shoot .32 cal. I started with 45 and have now switched to 38/357. I wasn't going to shoot a class that would have kept me shooting larger bores. 38/357 is easier and cheaper to find components...besides being cheaper to load.

Your question is fairly general, not specific to any particular load. Therefore, so will my answer be of a general nature.

As a general rule, the longer a handgun barrel, the more velocity for a particular load. IOW, for a given load, going from a 4" barrel to an 8" barrel would give you an increase in velocity. How much is dependent on the load, (the weight of the bullet, type and amount of powder). It has to do with expansion ratio, and burning rate of the powder used. a slower burning pistol powder, like 2400 would give a greater increase in velocity with a longer barrel than say a faster burning powder like Bullseye.

In wheel guns, the cylinder gap has a big influence on velocity. Other factors are the throat and barrel dimensions.  If your ammo was tested in a 6" barrel, and you used the same ammo in a snubby with a 2" barrel, you can expect about a 100 fps velocity drop. And if you took that same ammo and shot it in a 20" rifle, you can expect about a 250 fps increase in velocity.

As far as caliber, as a general rule, smaller calibers use less powder and lighter bullets, so components are cheaper. Loaded ammo prices follow the market, 9mm Luger is todays bargain ammo, it hardly pays to reload for 9mm. 

CAS has velocity and power factor rules, so which is faster, small or large caliber is a somewhat moot question. However, generally speaking, for the same pressure and bullet weight, a larger caliber will shoot that weight of bullet faster. It also has the ability to shoot heavier bullets at the same speed a smaller caliber will shoot a lighter bullet.

The challenge in Cowboy shooting is to have reliable ammunition at low(ish) velocities at or near the minimum Power Factor. 

If you want to learn more, the SASS rule book and a loading manual will satisfy your curiosity.  

In general, a 6" barrel will allow you to be more accurate that a 3.5". However, at SASS distances, it doesn't make much of a difference to a reasonably competent handgunner. ;)

I use a 6" barrel for elk and deer hunting a  5" for CAS and a 2-1/2" for CCW.  My Les Baer .45 ACP has a 6" for NRA bullseye. Mix and match as they say. :D

Championships have been won with every caliber and barrel length combination. The key is to find what combination works for you.

Bingo.

If you enjoy the competition aspect and intend to practice, you may (note that I say may, as not everyone is the same) be better off with 38/357 just due to cost.  When I was practicing, I shot somewhere around 2,000 rounds a week, every week.  The cost adds up quick.

As for barrel length and finish, 4 3/4 (4 5/8 for Ruger), or 5 1/2 is a personal preference.  When barrel lengths start to get longer than that, it can infringe upon a smooth draw.  Not necessarily be slower.  Again, it depends on how you are put together.  One of the best shooters I know uses 7 1/2 inch barrels.

Merry Christmas!

I started shooting Colt SAA and Uberti Cattleman with 5-1/2" barrel in 45 Colt about the time my last wisdom teeth came in.  My wisdom teeth went years ago but the 5-1/2" Colt SAA in 45Colt or Uberti or Pietta always feel most perfect.   I can and have shot shorter lenghts and in larger calibers feel fine. I've handled a few but I've not shot 7-1/2".   357 feel oddly heavy and not balanced well to me. I recently got a Cimarron Model P old model in 38WCF with 5-1/2" barrel and it feels a little heavy. 

I shoot everything from 3.5 to 12 inches.   Everything from .32-20 to .45 Colt.   

I have found that the caliber used does not affect my timing all that much.   Granted I am using fairly mind loads loads in all calibers.  If I was maxing out the big ones and minimizing the smaller ones that may have an effect, but I don't do that.

As far as barrel length goes, well, yeah, the Buntline is much slower on the draw than anything else.   But for the more standard length barrels I think shorter is slightly better for me than longer, but not by a lot.

Granted, I am a bottom tier shooter when it comes to overall speed, but I do have a lot of fun, and that's the main thing for me to do as as I chase of the elusive clean match.   Twice so far, and one "Clean with a P."

Now, what's my preference?   Well, I am personally partial to the 4-3/4" barrel, as I think it looks the best.   That being said, the most common length I have in my collection is 5.5", which is my least favorite barrel length.   Why so many in that configuration then?   Well, living in a state with restrictive laws, I'm limited to what I can find on the used market, and this is what I have been able to find.

Bottom line, experiment with different lengths and go with what works best for you.

Shoot what ya like.

Does a coupla seconds slower matter if it is what you really enjoy shooting?

--Dawg

One of the fastest shooters in the game went to 7 1/2" barrels a couple years ago or more, and says he'll never go back to a shorter barrel - probably the same one Doc Shapiro referenced in his post.

Light .38's are great for two-handed shooting, but a bit of recoil seems to help a lot of the Duelists and Gunfighters by rocking the hammer back under their thumb so they don't have to reach for it.

My .45 Colt wart hog loads of Holy Black really help with cocking the hammers.   :D

I shoot 4 3/4" or 5 1/2" with .38's. I like the shorter barrels and YES .38's are MUCH cheaper to reload. I've shot .45, .44-40's woth both smokeless and BP and I went back to what I originally started with. .38's!

TO EACH HIS OWN! That's what I like about this sport!;)

Barrel length preference in SASS six-guns is not so much an accuracy thing. 

It's more for handling.

I like 5.5" for CAS.

Calamity likes the 7.5".

I also like my 2.5" for CCW and 10.5" for deer, antelope, and silhouette.

Just like TOLG said it's a personal preference thing .

I personally like 44 Special. 

I have many different Cowboy guns to choose from .

But they are all 44 Special or 45 Cap and ball .

If I could only have one .

I would keep my 4.5/8   Uberti Cattleman 44 Special pistols. 

Personal choice as pointed out.

For me. It's 5.5in barrels. They just balance better (or seem to).  

But still un-holster and re-holster easy enough.  

I was just thinking of two fine duelist, you and HairTriggerHayes, who beat me with their preferred 5.5" revolvers versus my little 4.25" barrel FAs.

For me, the barrel length affects my focal point on the front sight. It's not a big deal on the shorter barrels, although the 5.5 is better for me and it's not a huge problem with CAS distances, it was just one of those pounts on my decision compass.

Two top notch gunfighters come to mind that use 7 1/2" barrels, Lassiter and Cripple Creek Kid. Like I said to each his own.

Two top notch gunfighters come to mind that use 7 1/2" barrels, Lassiter and Cripple Creek Kid. Like I said to each his own.

Lassiter was top of my list and I think Duece has been shooting 7.5" guns some also.

Archived