SASS Wire Forum

Introduced my son to a poncho liner

Trigger Mike

My 15 year old son likes camping but only has a summer weight sleeping bag. A year or so ago I had bought a poncho liner like I had in the army and put it away.  I put it under the tree for him today.

He already wrapped himself up in it and declared how much he likes it and how warm it is.   

One of the best pieces of equipment the army ever came up with. I have one dated 68.

They only get better with age. My "woobie" has been a constant companion for many years of travel in the military and as a civilian. Everyone in my family also has one, although my daughters used to occasionally try to lay claim to mine. At least, until use for cross country and band competition bus rides and the like softened theirs up.

Anecdotally, I know of at least one military divorce where the couple argued over who got the well-worn woobie.

That's about the age of mine.  I can't get it back.  My dog moved in and took it over.

Got your message late, Pard. Don’t have caller ID so I couldn’t call ya back. Hope your having a cool Yule.

I "appropriated" a few. Semper Fi!!!  ;)

https://www.military.com/undertheradar/2018/04/18/why-woobie-greatest-military-invention-ever-fielded.html

The distinctive three-color camouflage pattern, that until only recently was the hallmark of all poncho liners, came from using recycled camouflaged parachute material left over from World War II. Even though the troops were wearing green fatigues, their poncho liners were of the mottled camo color. This continued even after recycled parachutes ceased to be used for the nylon covers of the poncho liners. Perhaps some of the grit and determination from the airborne troops of World War II leaked out from their chutes into the liners. Who can say? But upon their introduction, they became a huge hit.

Archived