SASS Wire Forum

Wife gave me a purse

Trigger Mike

Each year the children sleep in our room on Christmas eve and we all get up for santa the next morning.  I had to make sure the gun stuff was put away.  Usually we just keep our door locked.   

I recently bought a traditional cap lock musket and still had the accessories in the box.  I told her for Christmas I need a possibles bag to store it in. 

She gives me an old purse to put it in until I get one on my own later.  It works for now, but needs a longer strap.   It dawned on me that a possibles bag is sort of a man purse but for guns.  

Track of the Wolf has some nice ones. I couldn't do without my possibles bag. I carry my cap lock muzzle loader during much of the hunting season here.

here is a link https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/423/2

I made several back when I was doing a lot of muzzle loading. Get some leather an awl and waxed thread and do one yourself. That’s what the mountain men did.

It’s fun. 

Dixie Gun Works has a variety

If you are carrying a Bowie knife and a muzzle loading rifle and someone makes fun of your black powder possibles purse that person is either incredibly stupid or just Itching for a fight.

;)

About 30+ years ago I "liberated" one of the now-former-missus-Hardpan's old leather purses from her younger not-quite "hippie" days.  Made a great possibles bag.  No longer have the now-former-missus-Hardpan, but still have the "possibles purse!"  ^_^

It's pretty worn and in need of a new strap, but otherwise has a lot of years left in it.  :)

By the way - I don't feel a bit guilty.  I'd given her multiple Dooney & Bourke bags.  Hmmm.... now, there's a thought... a possibles bag with an embossed duck!  :lol:

Possibles bag or war bag can be custom made to your own particular taste.
Mine was of course a cross body carry, left side, with the powder horn cross body on the right (some fellow stole the horn, I'm still mad about it 35 years later, my Dad made me that horn!) -- anyway mine had the knife sheath on the wide strap, patch knife was in a slightly higher and much smaller sheath, pillow ticking and pipe cleaners were decoratively hung.
We cut pillow ticking for patching and ribboned it for shoots but for hunting the patchin' was rolled up and in the war bag.
A damned Yankee from up around Cleveland was trespassing on our property deer season, poor fellow was carrying a brand shiny new slug gun and wearing brand new blaze orange everything from his hat on down, and he took a long look at my groundhog hide war bag and commented that it was the ugliest purse he ever saw.
Some folks have no manners a'tall.
(He was, however, honest ... it was ugly ....)

Check out Thrift stores. I've found some great purses to use for possibles bags for under $5. I paid $3 for a canvas one with manila ropes on the sides and zippered pockets inside with a folded 5 dollar bill in the bottom of the smallest pocket!

Archived